Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sigil doesn't like named entities

I am revising a book published a few years ago when I still trusted Word's export to html, but when I open it in Sigil, I get an error at the first named entity, which was an – and when I fixed that, it choked at the very next one, with many more waiting down the line.

Since Sigil has never before complained about my use of named entities (I prefer them to numerical entities because I can read them as I go), I'm guessing that this is because Microsoft has its own peculiar way of rendering html entities, which show on my text editor as ^R, ^V, and so forth.

Is there an easy fix for this, such as by telling Sigil there are two entity modes in use?

Mixing Word export and named entities has never caused me a problem in uploading html to Amazon or Barnes & Noble for conversion. Indeed, the very html file I have opened is already on sale as a Kindle and an epub book.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use them all the time in Sigil
(recently used &bul; ° 10 ° &bul; as a chapter # decoration)

Something else is wrong. codepage?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps Sigil wants to see two codepages, one for Word-generated html, the other for named entities?

I ran the Word doc through word2cleanhtml.com online, and now all is fine, with the minor cavil that all the entities (Word's and mine) have become numerical entities. In any event, Sigil has no problem opening the book.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

NJ did you think to Validate one of the failing files before feeding it to Sigil?
That might give a clue.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Gotta be the declaration.
Named entities work fine, for the most part, but not unless the doctype and all the namespace declarations allow for them.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Gotta be the declaration.
Named entities work fine, for the most part, but not unless the doctype and all the namespace declarations allow for them.
Agreed. We used named entities all the time, it's our inhouse rule. Sigil may/mayn't change them, but going in, they're all named. Never had a problem except when I mistype them (which is, blush, often). ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Never had a problem except when I mistype them (which is, blush, often). ;-)

Hitch
Welcome to that club
Which makes me wonder ? WHY ? EPUB3 supposedly does not allow named entities.
Try and remember a frickn' number

They call them (named entities) mnemonics for a reason
Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer

I wish I had a mnemonic so I would remember where that word came from!

Yes, "declaration" must be the term I was looking for. I just use a generic <!DOCTYPE HTML>. Odd that Microsoft's ^R would pass muster, and the named entity not, when both are in the same file. I'd be less surprised if it were the other way around.

Speaking of declarations, does MathML work in any e-book format?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post

Yes, "declaration" must be the term I was looking for. I just use a generic <!DOCTYPE HTML>. Odd that Microsoft's ^R would pass muster, and the named entity not, when both are in the same file. I'd be less surprised if it were the other way around.

Well, it meant mindful, back when it was "mnēmōn" in Greek, if that helps.

With regard to your second:

Even the big fancy iBooks volume on Algebra uses all images of the equations and forumlae. Maybe ePUB3 does, but I admit: I knoweth not if it does.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If I remember correctly, the DOCTYPE is not needed in ePub. But if it's present it must be correct (which implies you cannot have SVG code, for instance). It may be that Sigil wants it, but according to the spec, files without a DOCTYPE should be XHTML anyway (which normal named entities).

The above is valid only for HTML-like files, of course, you cannot use named entities in XML files, such as the OPF or NCX, you must use numerical entities or the actual characters there. This means that you'd better not use named entities in titles, I guess (maybe Sigil could automatically convert entities to characters when creating the TOC, if it doesn't already).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
ventdefolie
ventdefolie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I am revising a book published a few years ago when I still trusted Word's export to html, but when I open it in Sigil, I get an error at the first named entity, which was an &ndash; and when I fixed that, it choked at the very next one, with many more waiting down the line.
I had the same problem and solved it by inserting the doctype in the Xhtml files:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
i.e Search : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
Replace : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

After that Sigil doesn't complain any more !
ventdefolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, it meant mindful, back when it was "mnēmōn" in Greek, if that helps.
I have always regretted that I didn't take at least enough Greek to be able to read the letters and pronounce the words!

I can handle some Cyrillic because I once noticed that RESTAURANT was spelled PECTOPAH.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

MathML is supported in ePub 3. See the wiki for more on this.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
I have always regretted that I didn't take at least enough Greek to be able to read the letters and pronounce the words!

I can handle some Cyrillic because I once noticed that RESTAURANT was spelled PECTOPAH.
Heh. Having studied English, Spanish, Russian, Latin, and German, and having lightly perused a Greek language textbook, my opinion is: you can learn the Greek alphabet ( and you should. If you can read cyrillic, you're half way there.) but NEVER regret not learning the (classical) Greek language. Had I tried it, my brain would probably have melted. My "classical" education falters at that point.

No flames please; this is just MHO. ::grin, duck, run::

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote