Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
Elecman
Enthusiast
Elecman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Yea I bought a black PRS-650 at Borders last weekend. Surprised to hear they had plenty despite the Borders' website stating "sold out". The lady at the store reminded me their stock numbers online never match the store. Me thinks Borders just wants you to visit and mingle in the store anyways, you never know what you'll find.

Plus they send me coupons daily; sometimes for free coffee.
Elecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:43 AM   #17
plasmonk
plasmonk began at the beginning.

Device: none
After many phone calls, Ive just been told by the UK call centre that the orders are backed up until MID-APRIL?! Can they not ramp up production if the device is that popular?

Stuff it. Sony are idiots. I'm getting a kindle. Half the price and more importantly it's actually possible to buy one.
plasmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmonk View Post
After many phone calls, Ive just been told by the UK call centre that the orders are backed up until MID-APRIL?! Can they not ramp up production if the device is that popular?
Not if, as I suspect, it's due to a screen shortage. The screen is the common factor in all these reading devices. Only one supplier, with limited production capacity. If Amazon got their advance orders in first, there may well be none left for Sony to buy until April.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #19
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmonk View Post

Stuff it. Sony are idiots. I'm getting a kindle. Half the price and more importantly it's actually possible to buy one.
Hm, that should make you think twice. They are that popular...

But I think Harry T. got a point. Here in Germany all website state them as sold out but they are available in a lot of shops. Mostly not in the bookstores but in the mediamarkets.

Get out of the house and buy yourself one, you wont regret it.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Hm, that should make you think twice. They are that popular...
Based on what ACTUAL facts do you assume the 650 is popular and that is why it is not available until hell freezes over. It is more likely that Amazon gets as many screens as they want since they are selling millions of Kindle 3s with 6" screens and Sony is most likely selling at most tens of thousands of 650s. The supplier is going to give its biggest buyer (Amazon) whatever they want and tell the little buyer (Sony) tough luck.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or it could be there are that many orders in the UK that it will take till April to have stock again. We just don't know what's going on. So making guesses is just silly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #22
dfiler
dfiler began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
After two weeks of laboring over which eReader to buy, I finally came to a conclusion, the PRS-650. The Kindle3 hardware seems preferable but lack of ePub support was a deal breaker. With our local libraries offering ePub, this becomes the most important feature. The nook was also a possiblity. But would I prefer to NOT have that secondary color lcd screen. The 650 seems too small and the 950 seems to big. Ahhh the 650, a nice size.

With the decision made, I congratulated myself on selecting the perfect birthday present for my brother. It just might be enough to lure him away from the web and back to fiction reading. However, the satisfaction of reaching a conclusion was short live. Newegg is out of stock, hmmm, maybe B&H, what the? Sure enough, every web site in the world is sold out. So are the brick and mortar locations near me as well.

Last stop... ebay. Eureka! I just clicked buy-now on a black PRS-650 and leather case for $199. An unwanted Christmas present by a seller with a reputable ebay history.

And so ends my rollercoaster of eReader selection and purchase.

Much thanks to everyone on these forums. Your posts have been invaluable to this eReader newb.
dfiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #23
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Welcome to MR, defiler - hope to see more of you!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #24
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Welcome aboard, dfiler.

I've just got a new PRS-650 as well, and love it so far. I was very close to buying a K3 this Christmas, with the 6" Sonys seemingly sold out everywhere in the UK, but I found a unit that had been the shop demo device in a Waterstone's here a couple of days ago. It's the black 650 and once I got to play with it I knew it was what I wanted. The factors that swung it for me over the Kindle were the weight - this is the heaviest reader I've owned since previously I've had a Gen 3 and an Elonex 511EB, and yet the K3 would have been heavier still - and the library support.

However, now I've been using it I've also been very impressed by the PDF reflow, which works well for the two column PDFs I tend to read, and which by all accounts would not have been supported so well on the Kindle.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #25
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Graham:

I have one book that's a two-column PDF (1000 pages of movie reviews), finding the best approach to be the four-quadrant view in default small, to keep the formatting.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #26
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Graham:

I have one book that's a two-column PDF (1000 pages of movie reviews), finding the best approach to be the four-quadrant view in default small, to keep the formatting.
Yes, that four-quadrant view works well too; I was equally impressed by that. However, the reflow can give me slightly larger text so I found it better for the bulk of the reading. What's brilliant about this new Sony is the speed. I can switch between those two PDF modes very quickly, if I need to check a formatted table, for instance. While my Bookeen Gen 3 actually had very good PDF support, changing between the views was a significantly slower process.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

My problem with reading a 2-column in Medium sized reflow is that sometimes the content of the first lines of both columns gets "shuffled" together like playing cards.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #28
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Backordered until March? Holy crap! I just exchanged a red one I got as a present to store credit so I can buy a black one -- but I have to wait until MARCH??!!?!?

Well, I better spend this money on something else.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
Backordered until March? Holy crap! I just exchanged a red one I got as a present to store credit so I can buy a black one -- but I have to wait until MARCH??!!?!?

Well, I better spend this money on something else.
No, not March. That was just a mistake in the topic.

Check out Borders and see if they have any Black ones. You may have to check your local shops and not just online.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #30
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Yes, I was able to find one locally, although there were very few left. It is worth looking around though. Some websites have them but perhaps not in your colour of choice. It seems there are silver ones around. You could skin it as well.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote