Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #31
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Thats not true. Pure urban myth.

It would be well publicized by said media outlets if Apple tried to pull a stunt like that.

Ohhh it has, It was funny, Donald Bell was on Buzz out Loud with Molly Wood around the release of the iPad 2 and yes it's real. Cnet was put on the "bad list" because of a few mediocre reviews on some of their products.

You then do not get their review model in advance like the others do, so your review would be old news.

You can it's urban myth all you want but Apple knows how to control the media.

Is it Urban myth Apple made ABC who then forced Ellen to apologize on air? I don't think you know how much advertising revenue dollars speaks.

Last edited by boswd; 04-20-2011 at 04:06 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #32
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
For somebody who claims to hate to be a tin foil hat conspiracist you are doing a stellar job.

The RIM Playbook is shipping WITHOUT email and contacts capabilities and yet you'd rather believe that the mainstream media is in Apple's corner rather than look to RIM's brain-dead decision to ship a device without critical functionality. The media would have to exhibit a clear anti-Apple bias to do anything less than trash the RIM Playbook as it currently is shipping.

If you believe that iOS is merely an app launcher then you don't understand what operating systems and user interfaces are.
please explain to me what exactly does IOS do that is particularly magical when not in an app bought throught the app store?

what exactly can an iOS product do?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #33
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Be magical? Just work?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #34
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
please explain to me what exactly does IOS do that is particularly magical when not in an app bought throught the app store?

You need to educate yourself on what operating systems and user interfaces are before referring to them in your anti-Apple bigotry. There are many reasons to conclude that iOS is technically inferior to Android but your claim that iOS is nothing more than an "app launcher" isn't one of them... actually, it is nonsensical.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
You need to educate yourself on what operating systems and user interfaces are before referring to them in your anti-Apple bigotry. There are many reasons to conclude that iOS is technically inferior to Android but your claim that iOS is nothing more than an "app launcher" isn't one of them... actually, it is nonsensical.
And before you claim otherwise you need to provide at least some examples of what it does that makes it worthy of being called an operating system instead of just an app launcher.

We had this discussion some time back with a member I've not seen around in a while. R U Him in disguise?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #36
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the wiki page on operating systems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

If a system allows for multitasking, I think that alone qualifies it but if all it does is provide single-tasking services that apps use....
Old 04-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #37
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And before you claim otherwise you need to provide at least some examples of what it does that makes it worthy of being called an operating system instead of just an app launcher.

We had this discussion some time back with a member I've not seen around in a while. R U Him in disguise?
Oh brother.

When people allow their emotional issues with Apple to color their perception of news, then they lose credibility.

... and just to get this back on track, it is indeed absurd to conclude that some tinfoil hat inspired pro-Apple bias in the media is responsible for the poor review of the RIM Playbook.

The Playbook as it is now shipping is incomplete. Given all of its limitations, why would anyone buy it now? (rather than wait to buy one when the missing functionality is included... and perhaps a subsequent price drop)
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #38
kennyc

Quote:
Oh brother.

When people allow their emotional issues with Apple to color their perception of news, then they lose credibility.

Oh Brother is exactly right. When people make claims based on their ignorance then they lose credibility. So instead of trying to dodge the issue, answer the question.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #39
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Whilst the discussions are interesting I think some of it misses one important point - the Blackberry user. Having one of these fanatics "in-house" I can tell you that they will buy this device with or without apps, at a high price and in the face of problems (like having to climb a 4 metre wall to get to the store!). THEN they will all sit around and gripe to each other on user groups about how to make the wretched thing work. I know!
While I shudder to buy into the argument on Apple vs anything else, I have been rather turned off Apple products because of the number of problems/breakages etc I have seen from friends who have bought their devices. Being the most techy person in our social group perhaps I only see the problems, but I don't see so many from other manufacturers. Their products are really beautiful, but they do have some issues with looks vs durability. Oh well, I guess it's like buying a sports car - can't use it for a trip to the shops, costs the earth but hey, you look good in one!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #40
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
Whilst the discussions are interesting I think some of it misses one important point - the Blackberry user. Having one of these fanatics "in-house" I can tell you that they will buy this device with or without apps, at a high price and in the face of problems (like having to climb a 4 metre wall to get to the store!). THEN they will all sit around and gripe to each other on user groups about how to make the wretched thing work. I know!
While I shudder to buy into the argument on Apple vs anything else, I have been rather turned off Apple products because of the number of problems/breakages etc I have seen from friends who have bought their devices. Being the most techy person in our social group perhaps I only see the problems, but I don't see so many from other manufacturers. Their products are really beautiful, but they do have some issues with looks vs durability. Oh well, I guess it's like buying a sports car - can't use it for a trip to the shops, costs the earth but hey, you look good in one!
When you say Apple is like a sports car then you must not forget to mention that they only offer the model with a 1 liter engine and without radio and aircon. And you have to send it back to the shop to get new tires. And you must buy your gas from Apple.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #41
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
...or...

Apples products are really, really good.
While they are good, the media does seem to be far more forgiving of any limitations on apple devices e.g. the complete lack of multitasking of any kind for 6 months would seem to be a fairly major fault that would merit more complaints than the lack of an email client when most people could use bridge email or a webclient.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #42
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
While they are good, the media does seem to be far more forgiving of any limitations on apple devices e.g. the complete lack of multitasking of any kind for 6 months would seem to be a fairly major fault that would merit more complaints than the lack of an email client when most people could use bridge email or a webclient.
Things have not always been that way. Back in the 90s it seemed like things were just the opposite. Apple had a hard time garnering positive reviews for anything they did. At that time it seemed like the media favored Microsoft and attempted to hush-over the many bugs and mediocrities in their early Windows OS. It was as if the reviewers wanted the OS to succeed and did their best to make sure it was going to happen.

Remember Palm? Remember how strong they came on the scene? (I even had a boss who purchased 100s of Palm Pilots for many of the employees.) It was a great little OS and a great little product. Where is their dominance now?

Just wait, things will change again. Tomorrow there will be another manufacturer or system which receives all the positive strokes. Some people will love it... other's will cry 'Fowl'!
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #43
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
But it is a BlackBerry. A generic Android tablet without built-in email? Fine. But a BlackBerry? One of the main selling points of BlackBerrys to the corporate world is how well they integrate to the enterprise email/calendar/... systems.
None of the previous iOS products had had multitasking either, so it wasn't like it was a huge surprise that the iPad didn't. A BlackBerry without email though? That is just silly. A BlackBerry without corporate email is like an iPod that doesn't play music. Well ok, it isn't, but you get the point.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #44
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I've always been under the impression that a Playbook would be purchased by a Blackberry owner. The Blackberry supplies the 3G connection and the email and contacts, so why duplicate the functions? If you don't have a Blackberry, why get a WiFi-only Playbook? What's the fuss?

If you want always on email, you wouldn't even consider a WiFi-only tablet of any brand, would you?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #45
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
But it is a BlackBerry. A generic Android tablet without built-in email? Fine. But a BlackBerry? One of the main selling points of BlackBerrys to the corporate world is how well they integrate to the enterprise email/calendar/... systems.
Those are the people who are the target of the bridge connection though and that solution also has the advantage that it is using hardware that has already been approved by the IT dept. so there isn't the extensive need for them to test device security like they will have to with other tablets.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote