Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
My iLiad is toast. It's really over.

For those that still PM and email me concerning the various things I've done on the iLiad: my iLiad passed away. Cause of death was the poor battery design of the iLiad (in human terms: congenital heart defect). Services were held and its now stuffed and mounted in a place of shame in my private computer museum.

Yes, all content purchased for it from http://www.mobipocket.com is so far a total write off. DRM can really bite at times. But all the content from http://www.fictionwise.com and http://www.baen.com lives on.

I have absolute assurances from iRex that they won't fix it. Frankly they probably popped corks and celebrated that I'm out of the iLiad development business. That despite all the benefit they got from me. If you think I'm exaggerating: ever notice how I'm missing from their credits page on the iLiad?

So its seriously over folks. I turned its 4GB compact flash card containing all the development files into an SSD as an experiment for my Motion Computing LE1700 (which was so successful I got a 32GB card for it).

I'm now a very happy Kindle owner/operator.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Scotty,

If you have a significant investment in MobiPocket books, might it not perhaps have been a good idea to get another device which supported MobiPocket?
Advert
Old 06-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone

Any chance you could elaborate on the battery design defect?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Hi Scott!

Welcome back to MobileRead after almost a year hiatus

Sorry to hear about your iLiad and the abandonment of all that beneficial development stuff!

I've been meaning to ask you if you still had some REB 1200 development code lying around, namely your JRebPub java utility and such.

Sorry to digress, but I remember reading your earlier posts about the early days with the REB 1200 and couldn't pass this opportunity to ask you!

I've recently started developing for the REB 1200 (ya, I know, "...get with the times..."), but it's really exciting to be able to capitalize on the laurels of past efforts, like the .imp format reverse engineering by Jeffrey Kraus-yao.

Any insights you may have would be welcomed given you were a "pioneer" of sorts on the REB 1200 development front!

One last question, if I may, do you know the format of the SoftBook PICT image format used in the .imp? It's not the Apple PICT format (or MacPaint pct format). I can't figure it out!

BTW, if you have any old (unencrypted) .imp ebooks that you would like to transfer to your Kindle (where you don't have access to the source .html), consider trying deimp.exe to extract just the text portion. I've also written a perl script (imp_dump.pl) to extract the images within the .imp, but I have not yet integrated the (decompressed) text with images to yield a .html version of the ebook. I will soon release the perl script, though!

And here's to a better battery design on the Kindle!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Scotty,

If you have a significant investment in MobiPocket books, might it not perhaps have been a good idea to get another device which supported MobiPocket?
He did. It's called the Kindle.
Advert
Old 06-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True, but we were talking specifically about books from the MobiPocket web site. One cannot download books from there encoded with a Kindle device PID.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
Anything specific thats not because of the lithium-ion batteries all todays device suffer from, like discharging it completly, and then leave it some days on a sunny place? That will lead for example to "total dischargement", ruining the battery.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
troutyluc
Enthusiast
troutyluc began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
He did. It's called the Kindle.
Why is the kindle better in your opinion? You dont have a history of using it yet, so how can you tell?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutyluc View Post
Why is the kindle better in your opinion? You dont have a history of using it yet, so how can you tell?
I was joking when I said that before. I did not mean it was better, just that it was a Mobipocket device.

Anyway, I bought my Kindle the day it was announced. I like it and I do think it's better than the Cybook, but it's not my main reader anymore. Back around the beginning of May I bought a HP Jornada 720.

I think the Kindle is better because it implements more features of Mobi Reader than the Cybook.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #10
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I've been meaning to ask you if you still had some REB 1200 development code lying around, namely your JRebPub java utility and such.

I've recently started developing for the REB 1200 (ya, I know, "...get with the times..."), but it's really exciting to be able to capitalize on the laurels of past efforts, like the .imp format reverse engineering by Jeffrey Kraus-yao.

Any insights you may have would be welcomed given you were a "pioneer" of sorts on the REB 1200 development front!
OMG, yes that stuff is still kicking around. I even have a small pile of REB1200's and my original SoftBook that still power up and work. I was able to liberate my content when Fictionwise stepped in.

Does Mobileread even have a REB1200 forum?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think its illustrative of the DRM world that I do have a device that supports DRM'd Mobipocket books and I should be able to re-download onto it. But I can't from this one web merchant.

I was able to re-download nearly all my content from Fictionwise and all of my content from Baen.

I bought something like 120 books off Mobipocket so I've got an axe to grind with them.

I've already had one kind offer to break the DRM but I'm a straight shooter on IP matters. What I want is for Mobipocket to get out of the way and allow the material to be re-downloaded for the PID I entered.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #12
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post

I'm soooooo done with giving them free engineering. So that chance is zero.

If you buy a Kindle we could talk about that.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:11 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think the Kindle is better because it implements more features of Mobi Reader than the Cybook.
It implements a different subset of MobiPocket features; I don't think it's true to say it implements more than the CyBook. For example, personally I'd find its inability to change the font far more of a loss than the "gain" of being able to have a link to a different book.

What specific Mobi features did you have in mind that are implemented on the Kindle but not the CyBook?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 AM   #14
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
I'm soooooo done with giving them free engineering. So that chance is zero.
Sorry, but by all love, I've a problem with people complaining the battery being bad engineered, and when asked why? "I will not say."

I say the kindle is great piece of crap! Don't ask me why, I won't provide them free hints. :-/

Last edited by axel77; 06-29-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #15
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
my iLiad passed away.
That's really too bad Scotty. It must hurt, given the price of the Iliad. I would be really pissed off were that to happen to me (even my cybook even though it doesn't cost that much)

'The Iliad is dead, long live the Kindle'

Good luck with your Kindle
Closed Thread