Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Amir_Niknam
Amir_Niknam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Convert pdf to kindle format dictionary

I want to know is there any way to convert a dictionary in pdf format to kindle format for using as primary dictionary in kindle ?
I bought Longman dic and I want to convert it
Thanks
Amir_Niknam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I doubt it. The formatting for a Mobipocket dictionary is pretty finicky. See http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...e=indexing.htm for info on the tags needed. The software would have to be really fancy to do that conversion, and I doubt there is enough need for it for someone to have written a conversion program.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Amir_Niknam

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I doubt it. The formatting for a Mobipocket dictionary is pretty finicky. See http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...e=indexing.htm for info on the tags needed. The software would have to be really fancy to do that conversion, and I doubt there is enough need for it for someone to have written a conversion program.
If you doubt about that then how can i make my own dic for Kindle ?
And how other companies build their dic for Kindle ?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You use a dictionary file for the input (not a formatted dictionary), and add all the appropriate HTML tags, as documented. A number of people on Mobileread have created their own dictionaries, and some publishers have created Mobipocket-format dictionaries.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Amir_Niknam

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You use a dictionary file for the input (not a formatted dictionary), and add all the appropriate HTML tags, as documented. A number of people on Mobileread have created their own dictionaries, and some publishers have created Mobipocket-format dictionaries.
Excuse me!
I don't understand what exactly you said . that's mean i input a dic with prc format and then !...?
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard

What I mean by a dictionary file, is a file with words and meanings. Then you need a program to read the entries in the file and format the words with the appropriate HTML tags (read the documentation at the link I gave earlier, that tells how to create dictionaries). Anyone with a reasonable amount of programming experience could do it for a simple dictionary. A complex dictionary with inflections would be a lot harder, which is why they charge a fair amount for larger Mobipocket dictionaries.