Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: During take-off and landing I...
put my reader to sleep and put it away 103 42.04%
shut my reader down and put it away 45 18.37%
continue reading unless/until a flight attendant tells me to put it away 57 23.27%
ignore the flight attendant and keep reading until I get arrested and hauled off the plane 9 3.67%
I never fly, but I like answering poll questions 31 12.65%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #226
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I fly, my phone goes into airplane mode and my 650 and PMP don't have wifi/3G so no issues there.

If I was to bring my iPad, it would go into airplane mode as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #227
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Airplane mode works fine for when you can have them turned on but I believe that they have to be all the way off for take off and landing. Most folks don't do that. Clearly they are going to cause the plane to crash due to their negligance.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #228
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
On my recent EgyptAir flight they specifically said that mobile phones must be turned OFF, and could not be used, even in flight mode, for the duration of the flight. First time I've come across that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #229
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
When I fly, my phone goes into airplane mode and my 650 and PMP don't have wifi/3G so no issues there.

If I was to bring my iPad, it would go into airplane mode as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Airplane mode works fine for when you can have them turned on but I believe that they have to be all the way off for take off and landing. Most folks don't do that.
I don't do that, because it isn't what I'm asked to do.
Stop using electronics for takeoff and landing, turn off mobile phones for the duration of the flight.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #230
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(shrugs) My recent plane trips have included instructions to turn all electronics off with an explination that safe mode is not off.
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #231
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
If I was told to do that, I would, but that hasn't been the instructions on recent flights I have taken.
I don't fly on US carriers, maybe that is a difference.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #232
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

The Jet Blue flights I have been on announce that regualarly.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #233
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
I believe you are correct. From my understanding it is not a law nor is disobeying a flight attendant illegal in this instance. However what normally happens is they get law enforcement involved and get THEM to arrest you on some trumped up charge like disorderly conduct, assault etc. But since it is repeated so much in the media and gossip that it's ILLEGAL to "disobey" flight crews, the general public believes this. Perhaps our lawyer friend above could chime in on the accuracy of this?
Here is the most relevant US Code section I was able to locate in my admittedly brief research:

An individual on an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States who, by assaulting or intimidating a flight crew member or flight attendant of the aircraft, interferes with the performance of the duties of the member or attendant or lessens the ability of the member or attendant to perform those duties, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 20 years, or both. However, if a dangerous weapon is used in assaulting or intimidating the member or attendant, the individual shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life. 49 U.S.C. 46504

The offense here isn't disobeying, it's "interfering." So I would say that simply not listening to the announcement the first time to turn off devices would not violate this law. But if the FA asks you personally to turn it off, and you don't, and he/she has to ask again, and you continue to ignore them, that might be another matter. Basically, it would be up to the FA's discretion whether to involve the authorities, and the US attorney's discretion whether to prosecute.

(Don't get too hung up on the "intimidating" part -- the statute has been broadly construed, so if an FA testifies that you were "intimidating" him or her (including by saying that you'd turn the device off and then not doing it) that's probably sufficient evidence. Proving an intent to intimidate is not necessary.)

BTW, this is my personal opinion and not to be construed as advice of any sort.

Last edited by whitearrow; 04-10-2012 at 05:52 PM.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #234
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I keep my ebook reader, as well as any other electronic devices that I have with me, off during take-off and landing, and I usually keep a paper book with me in my purse for such times.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #235
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That isn't the rule, as least as it has been announced on the recent flights I have been on.
You must stop using any electronic devices, and switch off any mobile phones.
I stop reading from my iPad, and put it to sleep. I don't totally power it down, that isn't what I've been asked to do. I do totally power down my phone, as that is what I've been asked to do.
I flew from London to Copenhagen today with SAS and they told us to turn off all electronic devices. And the flight attendant told me especially that I had to turn off and put away my iPad.

When I flew in US last time they told us to turn off everything with an off switch.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #236
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I don't do that, because it isn't what I'm asked to do.
Stop using electronics for takeoff and landing, turn off mobile phones for the duration of the flight.
On the airline I usually fly with they give the specific instructions to put the phone in flight mode before turning it off, so that you can use it after take off. That way you are in flight mode after powering on again. I have had a smart phone since 2001 or so. About 8 years ago I was using it in flight mode during the regular flight. We argued about it, but finally she let me use it. Old rules that are simply outdated, that one was for dumb phones. They are useless without a connection.

But I have yet to see anyone intentionally powering off any device. Some they may have powered off before hand, but what they are using just goes into sleep mode.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #237
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Actually, there was only a mention over the intercom that phones and laptops had to be turned off. And I didn't have a phone nor a laptop. It was a photo camera. And not a phone with a photo camera, but a dedicated one. But it's a small one. Maybe he confused it with a smart phone...
Which airline and between which airports? I have never heard them say only phones and laptops. They might say something like "all electronic devices such as for example phones and laptops"-
Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #238
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
"because I was told to". I do not do things that would harm or endanger others...THAT would be wrong. Reading a Kindle isn't.
That depends. An iPad will definitely endanger other in certain situations if you are reading and the abnormal event causes it to fly around in the cabin. Maybe a kindle might do that also.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #239
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That depends. An iPad will definitely endanger other in certain situations if you are reading and the abnormal event causes it to fly around in the cabin. Maybe a kindle might do that also.
And a heavy pbook wouldn't be dangerous?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #240
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I was on a flight today. They specifically said to power-off electronics and then specifically added that means cellphones and iPods and Kindles too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote