Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Talking Kindle Touch 5.0 Jailbreak

Here is the Kindle 4 and Touch jailbreak using ixtab's data.tar.gz method. There are three ways of using this package, but you must try them in order if one doesn't work (see the readme for more details). Also new to this jailbreak is that I am now including Java kindlet keys with this and all my future jailbreak releases so developers are create jailbreak-signed kindlets (details on the download page and readme) (thanks to PoP for the merged keystore).

Please note that packages on the Kindle Touch cannot work on the Kindle 4 as is and vice versa! Packages for Kindle 3 can be easily ported to Kindle 4, but not as easy for the Touch.

Download and Information
http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-touch-jailbreak/

Packages for Kindle Touch
-Simple Usbnetwork 1.1 update (ssh over wifi and changing root password from search): https://github.com/downloads/yifanlu...usbnet_1.1.zip
-Simple screensaver 1.0 (not for KSO): https://github.com/downloads/yifanlu...nsaver_1.0.zip

Tool for creating packages
-Kindle Tool for OSX/Linux/Windows - Create and extract Kindle 4.0/5.0 update packages: https://github.com/downloads/yifanlu...kindletool.zip

Donations are welcome

The information below is outdated and is only for archival purposes.
=================

Well, here it is. There's not much to say, so I'll show it to you.

I've posted all the technical details and download information here: http://yifan.lu/2011/12/10/kindle-to...kroot-and-ssh/

Please note that the Kindle Touch has changed dramatically from the Kindle 3. This means that no current hacks will work as-is on the touch. Additionally, there are currently no tools to create update packages for the new Kindle format. Of course, anyone can uncomment one line from /usr/sbin/otaup to allow old update format, but I'm going to take the hard road and code a new package tool. While that's happening, you can run any shell script by putting it in "runme.sh" on the USB drive and run the jailbreak (it is safe to run as many times as you want). I've also included a VERY BARE-BONES usbnetwork hack. It's no where near as good as Niluje's usbnetwork hack for the Kindle 3. You cannot ssh over wifi and you need to find your root password with Sir Alex's tool when you ssh through usbnet. Therefore, this jailbreak is target at developers mainly, but it's easy enough for anyone to run.

I guess, if it isn't obivous, I need to point out this is only works on the kindle touch. K4 developers can access SSH like so: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=202

Special thanks to:
-hondamarlboro, ramirami, ichinomoto for dumping the NAND (couldn't have analyzed the files without it)
-The helpful folks in the IRC (irc://irc.freenode.net:6667/kindledev)
-Amazon (for making it easy this time)
-Anyone who supported me

Last edited by yifanlu; 01-29-2012 at 01:19 AM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
ryran
Connoisseur
ryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
Well damn. That's just loverly. Congratulations dude.
ryran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Special thanks to:
-Amazon (for making it easy this time)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
JuanPi
JuanPi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
You people are amazing!!
JuanPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Special thanks to:
-Anyone who supported me
Kindle Touch Jailbreak Support Team:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158894

Thank you yifanlu for all the hard work, and special thanks to the Kindle Touch Jailbreak Support Team for funding your research and giving you the courage (and encouragement) to crack open your Kindle Touch.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-10-2011 at 10:50 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Slashdot:
http://slashdot.org/submission/18762...h-50-jailbreak
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
fizgig
fizgig began at the beginning.

nice! I would love to be able to add (calculated) page numbers and pages left in chapter to mine somehow, and turn off full justification.
fizgig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
w00t!

Huge thanks to everyone involved . Now if only the Touch was available *outside* of the US... grmbl.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wrote a VERY simple screensaver hack. Like the usbnetwork one, it's very minimal and only does what it says (no advanced features).

It's not for and doesn't work on special offer kindles, so don't even ask.

https://github.com/downloads/yifanlu...nsaver_1.0.zip

Now it's important to follow the naming rules or the screensaver won't show up or worse, the screensaver module will crash and you need to restart the kindle after you fix it.

1) Each image MUST be a grayscale PNG that is 600 × 800
2) Each image MUST be named bg_xsmall_ss##.png, where ## is a two digit number from 00 to 99
3) You MUST have an image named bg_xsmall_ss00.png and you CANNOT skip a number (ex: bg_xsmall_ss00.png, bg_xsmall_ss02.png but no bg_xsmall_ss01.png)

The image displayed is in the order of the number
(You CAN delete, replace, and rename images already in the folder. They are just copies.)
Old 12-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
I wrote a VERY simple screensaver hack. Like the usbnetwork one, it's very minimal and only does what it says (no advanced features).

It's not for and doesn't work on special offer kindles, so don't even ask.
Well, I'll kind of ask. If a SO kindle is upgraded via Amazon to a normal Touch, will it work? Just thought I'd ask before I cough up the extra money to Amazon!

Nice work on all this btw!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Yes, if you pay them and you get the generic pencils and stuff screensavers (at least no more dead authors) you can use this.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
You guys are awesome
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Added an update to simple usbnet. You can now ssh over wifi. Plus, set root password by searching ";un password YOURPASSWORDHERE"
Old 12-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
dwallersv
dwallersv began at the beginning.

Simply amazing.

That didn't take long, did it? :-)

$30 to getrid of the SOs... I think I'll save ten and send $20 to yifanlu instead.
dwallersv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallersv View Post
Simply amazing.

That didn't take long, did it? :-)

$30 to getrid of the SOs... I think I'll save ten and send $20 to yifanlu instead.
It was $40 - but unless you spend it you cant use the jailbreak.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote