Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #226
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I grabbed a black one tonight. Will open tomorrow.
Please give us your thoughts on the kobo and how it compares to the str, i'm interested in how it fares wrt the str.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #227
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
Quote:
I grabbed a black one tonight. Will open tomorrow.
...waits anxiously for an end-user review.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #228
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I didn't forget guys. Been trying to shake this headache I've had all day. Think I'm dehydrated. Usually takes a couple of days to bounce back. I'm opening the box now.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #229
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo is worthy of consideration.

First thing I noticed is it's much more easier/comfortable to hold than the NOOK. Nice balanced substantial feel without using a cover.

Home screen looks better in person. When looking at the videos I kept thinking it was too plain (compared to NOOK). At first glance one may prefer the NOOK's home screen, but after using the NOOK many don't care for it, and avoid it.

While I was typing this, it went into sleep mode. A book cover is displayed with the percentage read underneath. The image doesn't take up the full screen. I saw a post in the Kobo forum requesting a bigger image. Maybe we'll see this change.

The Kobo wins hands down for rendering text in the most eye pleasing manner. The latest update propels them to the forefront. it's unbelievable how you have granular control over margins, line spacing, and font size. The Kobo has spacing between paragraphs, which I thought would be a negative. You don't sacrifice word count because you can fine tune line spacing and margins to a greater degree than the NOOK.

I've attached pictures comparing the same book with same font style (Amasis). The margins on both are set to the smallest setting. This book on the Kobo is much more visually appealing to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0045.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	470.4 KB
ID:	73711   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0047.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	73712   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0048.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	73713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0049.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	455.2 KB
ID:	73714  

Last edited by SCION; 07-02-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #230
SCION
Séduisant

Another photo comparison

Same book. Next page.

Text on the NOOK is darker (not clean, seems like it's bolded) and densely packed. When compared to the Kobo, it looks muffled (I know that applies to sound, but it fits).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0050.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	614.0 KB
ID:	73715   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0051.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	577.5 KB
ID:	73716  

Last edited by SCION; 07-02-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #231
SCION
Séduisant

Will share more thoughts later.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #232
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Good screenshots.

I'm actually the opposite, I much prefer the way the Nook looks there. I prefer thicker, darker fonts than the thin ones.

I read without my glasses so it makes it easier in bed.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #233
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
In all my experience with eReaders, both Sony and B&N, lack any sort of feedback from the manufacturer. They must be aware of the reader boards such as MobileRead. Would it be so difficult to have someone log in occasionally & update us with feedback on reported problems and shortcomings?
What about some explanation on why the software is written as it is.
My personal experience with Sony which stopped with the PRS-505 is that they were clueless with regard to what actual readers wanted. In other words your got what they gave you; tough love.
Just for once I'd like to deal with a company that cared what I thought of their product.
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #234
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
I like the darker text and wider margins on the Nook. The Kobo text looks faded out...like the Classic Nook looked before the 1.5 update.
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 AM   #235
SCION
Séduisant

It's interesting how we differ as to what looks better. The good thing is we have choices. I'm glad I took a chance on the Kobo because I was never pleased with the font settings on the NOOK. Always wishing I could tweak it more. The darker densely packed text really resembles a paperback. Since it's not a crisp clean bold, I find my eyes tiring from looking at it. I don't have a problem using ereader apps on my tablet that render fonts similar to the NOOK. Perhaps it's because the screen is bigger and I'm able to spread the words out more.

The Kobo is easier for me to read with small fonts as well. Again, some fonts aren't bolded like the NOOK, but the letters are crisp and clean. Whereas the NOOK looks like the goal is simply dark text. I've seen many references to the Kindle having dark text that is crisp and clean.

Edit: Just discovered a font on the Kobo that makes the text darker than what is represented in the previous screen shot. This is Rockwell. I actually prefer this more than Amasis. It's darker but still clean. So, Amasis is darker on the NOOK for some reason. Maybe the NOOK is using a bolded Amasis. If you like dark text, then you may not have to pass on the Kobo. Just choose a dark font (you can also import your own fonts!).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0053.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	598.2 KB
ID:	73717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0054.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	654.6 KB
ID:	73718  

Last edited by SCION; 07-03-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #236
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy68 View Post
I like the darker text and wider margins on the Nook. The Kobo text looks faded out...like the Classic Nook looked before the 1.5 update.
I like my margins a little wider too, just not on a 6" screen. One of the reasons I prefer a 7" eink device.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:19 AM   #237
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
Good screenshots.

I'm actually the opposite, I much prefer the way the Nook looks there. I prefer thicker, darker fonts than the thin ones.

I read without my glasses so it makes it easier in bed.
That's a good point. I see what you mean. If I take off my glasses, I share your preference. Unfortunately, my vision is so bad that I would have to darn near max out the font size to read without my nose touching the device.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #238
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Quote:
Same book. Next page.

Text on the NOOK is darker (not clean, seems like it's bolded) and densely packed. When compared to the Kobo, it looks muffled (I know that applies to sound, but it fits).
Thanks for the pictures. Wow, the text/fonts on the Kobo screen looks really blurry, not crisp at all. It looks a dirty screen is layered over the lcd substrate. I assume the pictures are taken under the same circumstance, right? The Kobo text looks so blurry that it seems that the lens of the camera taking pictures of the Kobo screen is smeared with vasoline.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #239
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyreaderfan View Post
Thanks for the pictures. Wow, the text/fonts on the Kobo screen looks really blurry, not crisp at all. It looks a dirty screen is layered over the lcd substrate. I assume the pictures are taken under the same circumstance, right? The Kobo text looks so blurry that it seems that the lens of the camera taking pictures of the Kobo screen is smeared with vasoline.
Yeah, it's the camera on my phone. It's not blurry at all. I took the shots one after the other. Don't know what happened. Must be the autofocus thing.

Maybe these are better. The first one is just a bad angle.

You really need to see for yourself or view pics from a really good camera.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0055.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	601.1 KB
ID:	73719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0059.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	708.0 KB
ID:	73720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0060.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	573.0 KB
ID:	73721  

Last edited by SCION; 07-03-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #240
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
The font in those last three pictures looks very good - better than on the Nook.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote