Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
alex87alex
alex87alex began at the beginning.

Device: none
Noob needs your help :)

Hi all, i'm italian and i'm new to mobileread-board. I apologize for my bad english, but i met an interesting community and i'd like to join!

I was thinking to buy an ebook reader for Christmas but i have too choise and i don't know which is the best for me. I'll list all the important features for me:

1)Connectivity like wireless or bluetooth. 3g isn't important
2)possibility to highlight the text (preferably touchscreen or with a directional-pad or something friendly)
3)not too expensive
4)text-to-speech

Is there an ebook reader with all this features?

I hope the price of shipping is cheap... Thanks a lot, see u!!
alex87alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Get yourself a Kindle... It's cheap, it's a great reader, and if you don't like it, you can send it back within 30 days...

Amazon has got the best customer service, I've ever experienced, so you can't go wrong.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
alex87alex

Thank I have a question... I've my personal ebook library yet, can i use it and put it?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Someone else will have to list the e-readers with TTS. I know that the Kindle has it.

You can get a Kindle with WiFi or Wifi/3G. The WiFi only version is about $50 less expensive then the WiFi/3G version.

You can highlight and annotate text on all of the e-readers. Based on user reviews I would say it is easiest on the Sony, because of the touchscreen, with the Kindle coming in second. I don't know about the Kobo but have heard that it is a pain in the butt to highlight on the Nook.

I would check the bookstores for each of the readers you are considering and see what books are available for Italy. Geo restrictions are in place so you might find your book selection limited.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87alex View Post
Thank I have a question... I've my personal ebook library yet, can i use it and put it?
That depends. If it is in Mobi format and not DRMed then you can put it on the Kindle by manually transfering the books from your computer to the Kindle.

If they are in EPub format and not drmed, then you can convert them using Calibre and manually transfer them to your Kindle.

If they have DRM on them you will have to strip the DRM. This may or may not be legal in Italy.
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
alex87alex

Ok, i'm inclined to kindle. I read an italian review and it told is really simple to buy on amazon and there aren't problems with the duty taxes.

For the supported format i think can use a converter, i did want to say only IF it's possible to upload my ebooks

Grazie ragazzi, i think i'll buy one more for my sister for Christmas
Old 11-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Ciao, Alex. Good to have your company. Quite honestly, I think you should think of flexibility of your device. I'm next door to you here in Menton, south of France and know that geographical restrictions and DRM locks on many books mean that a) it can be difficult to get what you want b) it can be tough to convert to the format you need.

Kindle supports only Amazon's own Mobi format. The industry standard elsewhere is ePub. I have serious doubts about Kindle being the best device for our region.

Tread carefully and when you think you've found the right machine for you, check in here again to get the views of our many other Italian users before actually buying.

(I may well be shot down in flames here, but I'd suggest you really do seriously consider the more flexible Sony range of readers to use in tandem with free and excellent library software called Calibre.)

Every best wish, Alessandro. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Information is golden and the more opinions people get the better off they are.

I tend to think that Sonys are way overpriced but that is me. I know that no one is locked into a specific format or e-book store so I tend not to worry about that too much.

I also have a feeling that Mobi is going to grow as a format because the Kindle can read it. Since the Kindle is becoming more of an international presence I suspect that more and more publishers will release books in both formats.