Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Nothing in the memory card slot

On the top of the 505, it has two card slots, and they come with a plastic insert in there (as you all know!). I take my reader everywhere, and when I go places, it's in my purse. somewhere along the way, one of the inserts disappeared (I suspect my "handy" children), so it's been an open slot for a while.

I'm just wondering if this will cause a problem down the road-- will it damage whatever exposed parts are inside, should I ever decide to get a memory card for that slot? should I be covering it with something? It does travel in my purse and I know that's not a dust/lint free environment

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Dust and lint in there probably will not cause problems with the reader, but it can cause problems if you decide to use a card later on down the road. You may want to buy a card to stick in there, a small, old one should be inexpensive.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
or just cover the slots with duct tape
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
You may want to buy a card to stick in there, a small, old one should be inexpensive.
Inserted card increases power consumption, unfortunately.

I have been looking for another dummy card to replace my lost one for months, without any success :-(
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #5
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Look for a MicroSD to SD adapter and insert that instead of a real SD card. Something like that...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #6
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
If you live in the US you can get a replacement dummy card from the Sony Parts and Accessories website. (The duct tape idea is cheaper though.)

http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/eco...rtable%20Audio
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:05 AM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post

I have been looking for another dummy card to replace my lost one for months, without any success :-(
How much power can it consume? I have cards in both slots and don't find the need to charge up often. Perhaps only after 3-4 books worth at least, unless I listen to music while I read. One of the cards is just for that.

(WOW! I just took a look at the cost of those dummy cards!! That is insane!)

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 04-06-2009 at 03:07 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:28 AM   #8
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
If you live in the US you can get a replacement dummy card from the Sony Parts and Accessories website. (The duct tape idea is cheaper though.)

http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/eco...rtable%20Audio
Wow, very, very expensive for such a simple part. A realistic price would be around 1$...

Another, much cheaper offer: http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=SD
Old 04-06-2009, 04:42 AM   #9
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Wow, very, very expensive for such a simple part. A realistic price would be around 1$...

Another, much cheaper offer: http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=SD
Amazing isn't it?!

(Sorry, missed your previous post listing the Amazon product as well which is also more reasonably priced.)
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Amazing isn't it?!
Yes, it's sheer robbery. $14.95 for a part that costs just $0.99 in many other shops...
Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
This is what some people say, yes. I haven't seen a difference myself, and I know there are others that haven't either.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote