Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
PROJECT TO PUT A LIGHT INSIDE KINDLE CASE

Although external lights are all very well they tend to be unwieldy and not elegant with variable illumination,etc.

A better idea is to a put light inside the actual case between the circuit board and the e-ink display.

A small size flat white light led taken from a cheap garden solar light would be ideal. A resistor in series would control the brightness.

it could be powered by the same circuit taken from the garden solar light or you can use the kindle battery with a resistor in series.

also internal reflection from the very small internal volume of the kindle will amplify the light.

plastic reflective foil can further direct the light to wards the e-ink display.

internal light reflection will even out the light.

i am surprised amazon did not include internal leds similar to mobile key pad leds to provide this.

also leds taken from old mobile phone keypads could also be used but will a bitch to solder.

anyone opened a kindle and explore this possibility?

i do not want to discuss External lights and how wonderful they might be at all.

i want to push the boundaries.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
do not want to discuss External lights and how wonderful they might be at all.

i want to push the boundaries.
Wow! Backlighting an eInk screen. That's so progressive. Aren't you worried about eye-strain, though?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I'm with diapdealer, surely the whole point of e-ink is that it's not backlit.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Yeah, that's not gonna work. LCDs can be backlit because of the way the crystals are aligned-- random orientation when not powered makes them opaque, aligned along the electric field when powered allows light to pass through. Eink is an utterly unrelated technology. Backlighting an eink display would be similar to backlighting a piece of paper, except less useful. With a backlit piece of paper, you might be able to read it somewhat because the ink printed on the paper makes those areas somewhat less translucent, but with an eink display, the same amount of "ink" is on every part of the paper all of the time-- it is just submerged deeper in the display where you need light areas. A backlit eink display would transmit the same amount of light through it from every point no matter what is displayed on it's surface. Backlighting on eink would be utterly worthless.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
If you could lay out a LED panel (ala Star Trek) of some sort opposite the screen (held in the carrying case of your choice) that might be useful though. But first you would have to find someone that makes such led panels (assuming they aren't still Sci. Fi. that is).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70
But first you would have to find someone that makes such led panels (assuming they aren't still Sci. Fi. that is).
If I remember correctly, vugitan rarely lets reality get in the way of his/her grand schemes.

It's been a while vugitan... welcome back!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If I remember correctly, vugitan rarely lets reality get in the way of his/her grand schemes.

It's been a while vugitan... welcome back!
We all have our dreams of what we'd like to have be possible I think. 20 yrs or so ago modern ebook readers were still just a flight of fancy. I still find myself thinking of the P.A.D.D. from STNG whenever I pick up my Kindle 3. lol.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
One problem - aren't eink screens completely opaque? :P
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #9
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Using a resistor to control brightness is a waste of power. You want to use a PWM circuit to control brightness. You may find more room and get a better result if you try edge lighting the screen with multiple surface mount LEDs (and that PWM controller).

Or you could leave the Kindle alone and get one of these for reading in the dark: http://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Readin...ref=pd_sbs_a_7

Or this:
http://www.amazon.com/Glasses-Readin...6820437&sr=1-2
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:08 AM   #10
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I still find myself thinking of the P.A.D.D. from STNG whenever I pick up my Kindle 3. lol.

I'm glad it's not just me then.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Is it April 1st?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
I'm glad it's not just me then.
And I'm glad I'm not the only one who understands the P.A.D.D. reference. lol. While Kindle isn't quite as versatile as the P.A.D.D. its general shape, size and readability certainly resemble one I think. Of course ST has a history of using props that are based on ideas that later enter the real world.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Of course ST has a history of using props that are based on ideas that later enter the real world.
Like disposable ensigns?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Yeah, that's not gonna work. LCDs can be backlit because of the way the crystals are aligned-- random orientation when not powered makes them opaque, aligned along the electric field when powered allows light to pass through. Eink is an utterly unrelated technology. Backlighting an eink display would be similar to backlighting a piece of paper, except less useful. With a backlit piece of paper, you might be able to read it somewhat because the ink printed on the paper makes those areas somewhat less translucent, but with an eink display, the same amount of "ink" is on every part of the paper all of the time-- it is just submerged deeper in the display where you need light areas. A backlit eink display would transmit the same amount of light through it from every point no matter what is displayed on it's surface. Backlighting on eink would be utterly worthless.
thin plastic or thin e-ink sheet is translucent.you do realize that?

just get a torch and a thin yogurt cup.

or put a light behind thin skin of your hand.see how light comes through.

get a typed paper put light behind it.do you see?

thin sheets of plastic let light thorough!!!

a backlit display would improve contrast by firing light from every point of the display at your eye with the blackballs and whiteballs creating the pattern.

by the whiteballs reflecting light back into the case while blackballs absorb light.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Like disposable ensigns?
lol. Actually I meant like medical sensors, 3.25" computer disks, cell phones and the like. Of course they did have consultants that they got ideas from though back then of course many of the ideas were still probably in the visionary stage (i.e. no one knew how to make them yet). Our world has certainly changed in recent decades.

Tags
hack, kindle, led, light, torch