Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't know from ROM chips as they relate to DE, but the impression I got from the Sony folks was that they were planning to support some sort of epub/DE combination on the 505 without conversion. It's still largely guesswork as to how that will end up working, as Adobe hasn't come near to finalizing a mobile version of DE yet.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #17
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
I'm going to guess they've finally figured out that they've got to flow PDF rather than try to map whole pages onto a screen. I've had fair success porting PDF to the Palm PDF viewer, so this isn't too much of a stretch.

Spending a whole lot of development work to add another proprietary DRM solution to the Sony Reader seems to me to be a mistake. Of course, Sony hasn't hired me to be product manager so what do I know.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well if epub takes off, then having DE on board will be a good idea. It means the 505 will have support for the newest ebook format.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:37 AM   #19
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Did anyone try contacting Gizmodo to get the exact quote said by Sony people? I'm thinking Gizmodo's interpretation of their words might be off if they're not very familiar with Reader's capabilities.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:18 PM   #20
modsoul
Enthusiast
modsoul began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a work around now. Do a search for pdflrf. It's a very good program for making PDF more readable on the 500/505 as they are now.
also rasterfarian (i'm am such a fanboy of that software)
modsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksForABuck View Post
I'm going to guess they've finally figured out that they've got to flow PDF rather than try to map whole pages onto a screen.
It still surprises me that DE couldn't flow PDFs out of the box... that seemed like a no-brainer, and was my very first gripe when I tried DE. (And in fact why I haven't been using it since I tried it.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:07 AM   #22
vstefanyuk
Connoisseur
vstefanyuk began at the beginning.

PDFCropper is the application, designed to solve the problem with preparing for reading normal sized (A4, B4, C4, letter etc.) pdf's on relative small (Sony Reader PRS500/PRS505, iRex Illiad etc.) devices.

The problem is that pdf is not reformat able by nature. Yes, there is reflow mode in Acrobat Reader, but at first Acrobat Reader is not available for most e-book readers (especially for e-ink devices),
and second even with reflow function reading of complex content (technical books, magazines etc.) is not comfortable. Bad formatted pdf's and wide white spaces make the situation even worse.

The only way how this problem can be solved (at least based on my experience) to cut original pages into smaller pages with removing white spaces.
This is exactly what program do. But comparing with similar software PDFCropper is much more flexible, that allows to prepare books with much better quality in a very short time.

PDFCropper can produce text and image pdf's.

PDFCropper web-site currently is under construction. But it is already available for downloading:

PDFCropper v1.1 RC1 links:

http://rapidshare.com/files/87491638...Setup.exe.html
or
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a07bc5/
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JI7CM0N4

Trial version of PDFCropper is fully functional, the only thing - output pages include watermark (which by the way displays registration code that you need for obtaining license).

And you can download and value an example of prepared (cropped) pdf:

This is original one - http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/d...ngspec-3.0.pdf

These are links to cropped one:

http://rapidshare.com/files/87301097...ation.pdf.html
or
http://www.filefactory.com/file/252400/
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8KW32DJT

And these are links to the one cropped as image pages (only some pages are there, due large file size):

http://rapidshare.com/files/87486857...rtly_.pdf.html
or
http://www.filefactory.com/file/d02ead/
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MJCYT8KH

Also, anyone interesting in software, can send me example pdf, and I will send back resulted pdf prepared via application.

License price per one computer is 20 euro. Payment can be made via PayPal or directly to bank account.

You can ask any questions about using or installing software and details about purchasing the license via e-mail:

vstefanyuk@gmail.com

P.S. Application is implemented by using Java. You have to have installed Java environment version 1.5 or higher.
Also Ghostscript has to be installed. In case if it is not, application will propose you to download.

Change log:
v1.1 RC1 - fixed the bug with adding table of contents (now appropriate menu item in Sony PRS 500/505 display table of contents correctly).
added separate option for adding clickable table of contents pages.
added displaying of table of contents in the left pane.
improved auto-framing functionality - added possiblty to create frames with size proportional to device size (paper size setting in Crop Settings dialog).
improved cropping funcionality - added possibility to remove empty frames in resulting pdf ("Skip empty frames" option in Crop dialog).
improved dialogs input errors displaying, errorness fields are highlighted by red.
fixed bug with deleting last unaccessible project reference from recent projects list.
added pdf restrictions checking during opening pdf. in case if there are no enough rights for pdf manipulating - program will ask pdf user password.
example pdf's are updated.
simplified trial mode - removed pages shuffling!

Last edited by vstefanyuk; 01-29-2008 at 05:12 AM.
vstefanyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:34 PM   #23
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Basically, if there are errors in a story, you can not trust any of it. Disregard this air-head, unless you own stock in Sony. If you own stock in Sony, this is a perfect time to panic.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #24
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
When I saw this title I was not thinking of formatting, I was thinking of better Adobe integration. What I mean is for the reader to be authorized mobile device for Adobe Reader. So when I take a electronic book out of the library I can authorize Adobe reader to put the book on the Sony reader. Right now only Palm and PocketPC devices running Adobe software can be authorized devices.

When I first fired up the Sony Reader and I saw that Adobe logo I was sure it would of had the Adobe DRM, but nope.
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #25
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniet View Post
When I saw this title I was not thinking of formatting, I was thinking of better Adobe integration. What I mean is for the reader to be authorized mobile device for Adobe Reader. So when I take a electronic book out of the library I can authorize Adobe reader to put the book on the Sony reader. Right now only Palm and PocketPC devices running Adobe software can be authorized devices.

When I first fired up the Sony Reader and I saw that Adobe logo I was sure it would of had the Adobe DRM, but nope.
And you're perfectly right. If Sony supports Adobe DE, it will also support Adobe's DRM for PDF/epub.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #26
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassida View Post
Has anyone played with the Sony Reader....what is your opinion of it as an eBook reader? I'm a Mac user. Would the Connect software's lack of Mac compatibility be a major problem in using this device for me...!!?
I'm a Mac user with a PRS-500, and no problems. But there's one big caveat: Sony's ebook librarian doesn't run on the Mac. And the only way to purchase eBooks from Sony is to use their ebook library software.

The solution to this is... Don't use Sony's software, and don't buy books from Sony!

The free open source program Calibre is a better piece of librarian software than Sony's. And it runs on OS X, various linux OS's, and several flavors of Windows.

If you like Science Fiction and Fantasy, buy from Baen (at www.webscriptions.net for eBook sales). Or patronize Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, FeedBooks, etc. And don't forget the several thousand public domain books available here at MobileRead!

You'll also want to get familiar with the various programs that can help remove DRM from eBooks. That way you can purchase in a variety of formats, and convert the books to be useful with your Sony Reader.

Really, the only things you can't easily do as a Mac user (without Windows installed) are:
  1. Buy books from Sony.
  2. Update firmware on the reader.

Everything else is better when you ignore Sony's software.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote