Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
arshield
Enthusiast
arshield is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Update to 2.01 software on Kindle 2

My Kindle 2 just updated itself to 2.01. I don't see any changes yet. But I am at work and don't have time to look.
arshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Maybe a change to their text to speach?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Nah... it was before that PR debacle...
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
pippin65
Enthusiast
pippin65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
the update included folders
pippin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
pippin65
Enthusiast
pippin65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
my bad, just wishing
pippin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
My Kindle-2 still says version 2.0. Just tried a sync to see it anything happened. Nada.

Bob
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLenx View Post
My Kindle-2 still says version 2.0. Just tried a sync to see it anything happened. Nada.

Bob
Tip regarding version numbering. The 2.01 (probably 2.0.1, but it doesn't matter) may have been triggered by a hardware change that requires a slight SW tweak. Or it could be a minor bux fix that was rolled into the factory, but not ready for the installed base just yet.

So, you may not see it as an update until more stuff is glommed together, or it is tested more thoroughly as as an update, in either case the version may well change yet again (2.1).

Generally when the 3rd digit changes it's not required for the installed base to upgrade. (and it might even be a bad idea, if the new SW required the new HW change, for example) Of course every situation is different, and Amazon isn't explaining what is going on behind the scenes.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I just checked and there is no web page up yet on the Amazon site for instructions on updating the Kindle 2.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
arshield, are you SURE your Kindle didn't come with 2.0.1 and you just didn't notice? I've yet to be able to confirm a case where someone can vouch that they *had* 2.0 and their Kindle upgraded to 2.0.1.

Edit: Nevermind, I see now some lucky few are actually getting the update. Wish I had mine!

Last edited by sirbruce; 03-03-2009 at 12:56 AM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:03 AM   #10
arshield
Enthusiast
arshield is on a distinguished road

No, I saw it downloading and updating while it was sitting on my desk at work. Still haven't noticed any changes though.
arshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 2
I haven't dug in yet, but http://www.amazon.com/update_kindle2.bin will get you
a file called Update_kindle_2.0.1.bin
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 AM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well that's new; I tried that URL a few days ago and it didn't work. Still not announcement or linkage anywhere on the support pages, though.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur

Okay, did the manual install and it worked fine.

Here are UNOFFICIAL instructions for manually downloading the 2.0.1 update for the Kindle 2. They are a modification of the same instructions Amazon wrote for the Kindle 1 upgrades. I have modified them for the Kindle 2 update. I have followed the steps myself and they worked with my Kindle 2. I am not responisble if you try it on your Kindle 2 and they break your Kindle 2. You can always wait for your Kindle 2 to update on its own or for Amazon to release official instructions. I don't know the differences between 2.0.1 and 2.0 yet, either. Your mileage may vary.

Updating Kindle 2 Without Wireless Connectivity
----------
Note: This software update only applies to Kindle 2. Please do not attempt to manually install Kindle 2 software on a Kindle 1.

You can download the Kindle software update to your computer and transfer the file to Kindle via the USB connection. The update process will take approximately 10 minutes.

When the update is completed successfully, Kindle will automatically restart and delete the update source file from your Kindle memory to maximize your available storage space.

If you are unfamiliar with using Kindle's USB connection: Please see the Using Kindle with Your Computer Help page.

If you receive an error downloading the file: You must be logged into your Amazon.com account and have a Kindle registered to your account. If you encounter an error, make sure you are signed into the correct Amazon.com account before attempting the download again. Please refer to our Signing Out Help page for more information.

To manually install the Kindle software update:
----------
Visit Amazon.com and make sure you're logged into the Amazon.com account to which your Kindle is registered. The download will not be available if you are not logged in before attempting step 2.

Visit www.amazon.com/update_kindle2.bin to download the Kindle software update file.

Set your Kindle power switch to the "ON" position.

Connect Kindle to your computer using the included USB cable.

Use your computer's file browser to copy the file "Update_kindle_2.0.1.bin" from your computer to Kindle's root directory. Do not place the file into one of Kindle's folders.

Once the file transfer is complete you can safely disconnect Kindle from your computer.

Use your computer to unmount or eject your Kindle and disconnect the USB cable from Kindle and your computer.

Press the Home key, then press the Menu key, and then select "Settings" from the Home menu.

From Settings screen, press the Menu key, and then select "Update Your Kindle". Please note that this menu option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed.

Select "Ok" when prompted if you want to perform an update.

Verifying Your Software Version
----------
The current version of your Kindle software is listed in your Kindle settings. If you see version 2.0.1 (303870012) listed, you have the most recent software version.

To check the software version installed on your Kindle:

Set your Kindle power switch to the "ON" position.

Press the Home key, then press the Menu key, and then select "Settings" from the Home menu.

View the version listed at the bottom of the Settings screen. The version listed should be "Kindle 2.0.1 (303870012)."

Troubleshooting Update Issues
----------
If you cannot successfully update your Kindle software using the instructions above or encounter any difficulty with your software update, please contact Kindle Support.

To reach Kindle Support via phone or e-mail, please click the Customer Service button in the Contact Us box in the right-hand column of this page. Contacting us through the Web site allows you to verify security before a call is placed and ensures we have your account information ready when we call you. Our live customer service associates are available from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Pacific Standard Time, seven days a week. You can also reach us by calling one of these numbers:

Inside the United States: 1-866-321-8851
Outside the United States: 1-206-266-0927

Last edited by sirbruce; 03-04-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #14
kruzen2
kruzen2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Thanks it is very reassuring in this crazy world to know there are great poeple out there who have are willing to take the time to help the less computer literate keep their electronics up to date.
kruzen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #15
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
If your Kindle 2 has no content after the upgrade (!!!) don't panic.

I had to do this to get my Kindle 2 to recognize content and be able to get online again after the manual update...

Press Home button.
Press Menu button.
Select Settings.
Press Menu button.
Select Restart Kindle.

Cross fingers and invoke the gods.

All my content was there when the Kindle finished booting.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote