Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Forbid
Probably Procrastinating
Forbid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
So my PW2 did a strange thing...

So I've had my new PW2 since Oct. 1st and I love it. But today I turned it on and there was an odd scratch/crack in the screen. The Kindle still works so I don't think the actual eInk screen was damaged, and the touch screen still feels smooth... so somehow a layer in the middle seems to have split or something. Thankfully Amazon is sending me a new one.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? What could have caused a layer in the middle to suddenly crack?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleFull.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	113632   Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleZoom.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	113633  
Forbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Call Amazon Customer Support and request a replacement. Obviously, it is defective.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Looks like a blonde trying to correct an error in the eBook using whiteout on screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Forbid
Probably Procrastinating

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Call Amazon Customer Support and request a replacement. Obviously, it is defective.
As I said, I already contacted Amazon and they're sending me a replacement. I'm just wondering if this is common.

I'm disappointed because I've heard there can be a lot of issues with the screens and I thought mine looked great before this. I'm really hoping I don't get a new one that is loaded with all kinds of pinholes or other lighting issues.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I have never seen anything like that suddenly appear on the PW's, so I think it's pretty uncommon. That's a shame. Good luck with your new one.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Like sparklemotion, I have never heard/seen anything like that with the PWs--I do know quite a few Nook Glowlight owners were complaining of "tears" and "holes" suddenly appearing in their screen. Hope you get a good replacement!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Wow, that is very strange. I've seen photos of Kindles with broken substrates, but never anything like that. It almost looks like a cat scratched it, which of course didn't happen since it is in a subsurface area. Good thing Amazon Kindle CS is good!
Old 10-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
A Jedi was on his way.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
Forbid
Probably Procrastinating

It really does look like a cat scratch, or maybe something else is trying to come through?

I'm really glad to hear this is rare because Amazon said I was within my 30 day warranty, but if it were to happen again then I won't be and I don't want to be stuck with a "torn" screen. Not to mention that I've heard a lot of horror stories from people about these PW screens... I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes when the replacement arrives on Tuesday.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
It's one of those cracks in time. Call the Doctor.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbid View Post
It really does look like a cat scratch, or maybe something else is trying to come through?

I'm really glad to hear this is rare because Amazon said I was within my 30 day warranty, but if it were to happen again then I won't be and I don't want to be stuck with a "torn" screen. Not to mention that I've heard a lot of horror stories from people about these PW screens... I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes when the replacement arrives on Tuesday.
As far as I'm concerned this is a fault and you should be covered for the first year. Normally Amazon is fine at replacing faulty screens within the first year, but if your worried and plan to keep your PW2 it's probably a good idea if you buy the extended warranty insurance with square trade, but I think even they would expect Amazon to cover this in the first year, especially if the surface screen isn't damaged and its the sub layer that is.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbid View Post
I'm really glad to hear this is rare because Amazon said I was within my 30 day warranty
The warranty is a year, not 30 days. The return period is 30 days, but that's something entirely different.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I looks like maybe there was pressure applied to a part of the screen...no joke, I have two cats in my house and they are not afraid to walk all over everything. Do you have an animal that could have walked across it? Or a child to drop a toy on it?

Damage like that certainly shouldn't just appear out of nowhere, haha.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I've never seen this happen before and hope this is not a sign of things to come, similar to the issues the Nook Glowlight had.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I don't think that is anything like the problems the Nook Glowlight suffered from. That was clear damage to the top layer of the screen from scratches/contact with things like keys. The OP has said there doesn't appear to be any damage to the screen because its still smooth to touch?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote