Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
0.6.2 bug

Under Windows 7 64 bit, while in the Preferences Screen, Keyboard Shortcuts, press backspace a couple of times after clicking in the shortcut entry space. It causes Sigil to fail.

Wasn't sure if I had typed anything in there. Even if you do type something there and backspace too many times, fail.

Am having trouble getting it to take anything at all, but that may be my headspace.

Last edited by mrmikel; 12-29-2012 at 07:37 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Thanks - yes it does crash. Easily fixed.

To set a shortcut, click on one of the functions in the list, then click in the shortcut text box and press the keys you want to use as a shortcut. Don't try to spell them, just press them - e.g. hold Ctrl down and press T. Once you set the shortcut, if it doesn't conflict with an existing one, press the Assign button.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was trying to make a new one. Guess that is not possible. Want to have something so I can put in plain spaces instead of non-breaking ones with just a keystroke instead of using a clip.

I know I can search and replace them, but some are wanted, but most are not.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shortcuts are for existing functions - most if not all of which are on the menus. Although we'll be looking at making shortcuts available for some clips they aren't available yet.

But if you had a clip for a space (" ") - how is that any better than just using the spacebar?

For find and replace you can just do them one by one - just click replace/find and if you don't want to change it just click find again (or use the keyboard shortcuts for the buttons).
Old 12-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone

From the spacebar I want spaces (ASCII32), and shift spacebar for non-breaking spaces, like p vs br using shift enter.

I use mostly work that is very rough, so I enter hundreds or thousands of spaces, nearly all of which have to be S-R'ed back into ordinary spaces.
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have just verified that this issue also effects the 32-bit version of 0.6.2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have just verified that this issue also effects the 32-bit version of 0.6.2.
Which issue is that?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Which issue is that?
&nsbp; instead of a real space when I hit the spacebar in book view. I like the idea of a keyboard shortcut for a non-breaking space instead of defining the spacebar as something it's not.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That has been the case as long as I remember to be honest.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
That has been the case as long as I remember to be honest.
So, it's been a bug before 0.6.2. Well, it needs to stop being a bug.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
meme
Sigil developer

If you are in Book View you are subject to Qt's interpretation of what you want. We've been making it as good as it can be, but it will never be suitable for giving you the exact characters and formatting that you want. That's why Code View is available.

If you press the spacebar, then as far as I can see you get a simple space as long as there was no space next to where you pressed. If you have a space before/after where you press, and if you are next to a span tag (and probably several other special cases), then Book View inserts an nbsp entity to keep your space - since if there is one or more adjacent simple spaces they are treated as one.

At best you can use Saved Searches to replace the nbsp entities with spaces, using groups to do the common ones (space followed by nbsp, nbsp followed by <, etc.) but if you are actually using nbsp entities for some reason, then it does become harder.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Sometimes we might want specific &nbsp; and a search/replace could remove them.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sometimes we might want specific &nbsp; and a search/replace could remove them.
Exactly
It is a PITA to have to switch to CV just to put in a normal space.
Since Sigil 6 has the special character tool, that could be used when a non-breaking space is needed and use a regular space else when.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone

In this case I would prefer it NEVER inserts non breaking spaces, unless we insert them using the special characters dialog. I think any other cases where it is necessary can be handled by search and replace to put them in those locations where we want them.

It would no doubt annoying in the special cases outlined to not have a nbspace, but they are 1 in 100 compared to the use we experience.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
So what would happen then behind the scenes in Code View when a user typed consecutive spaces in Book View (and they will)? Should the extra space just be silently deleted/ignored? It seems to me that whatever the user types in the WYSIWYG editor, must somehow be represented (rather than ignored) in Code View. And I don't think that can be done without the non-breaking space entity (or wrapping the entire passage in pre tags).

The current method may not be perfect, but I think it's the best approach: those who understand the guts of things can fix the occasional snafu, and those who never leave Book View don't have to wonder why the extra spaces they type keep disappearing.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote