Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Frontlight: How to reset?

Hi, how do I do a reset on the Bookeen Frontlight?
I got it stuck a few times during the first hours of use, each time while inserting a full SD card. After a few minutes the reader was always working again, but I have no idea what triggered this, I tried things like "pressing the power button for mor than 10 seconds", same with the menu button, but I don't think that helped.
I cannot see any small hole somewhere to use a paperclip to reset it.
How did a reset work on the older Bookeens, maybe it's the same here?
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Got a frontlight ? From bookeen website ?

that should be -> hold menu and then hold power.(that's how the odyssey works)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got mine about 12 hours ago, ordered from Thalia.de

How exactly, hold menu and then hold power while menu is still down? Or one after another?
Somehow I always get it to reset, but I really can't tell how...
Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hold menu, and hold power while still holding menu.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
WS64

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
hold menu, and hold power while still holding menu.
thx!!
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Hey! What's it like??? Tell me tell me tell me please! Maybe you can start new thread?
Eowyn, Culture has it for 129,99€ online from what I saw.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #7
WS64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Hey! What's it like??? Tell me tell me tell me please!
Not sure what to write...
It's my first Bookeen (I already have a Kindle 3/Kobo Touch/Nook Color).
The light is great, the higher resolution is (for me!) not noticable (screen looks exactly the same as K3 and KT), the lack of any kind of collections (books on the SD card can just be viewed in folder view?) is disappointing (although I can actually live with that).
I hate the many clicks necessary to do annotations, and I don't like that you cannot have more choices on the buttons (e.g. "page forward on both buttons. If you want to page back use touch").

I guess the device is the same as the Odyssey with additional light support.
The light levels seem to be reasonable (although the brightest ones are so bright, not sure when to use them at all), but you can see the LEDs(?) at the sides of the device. Not disturbing, but they are there. The light looks pretty even to me, much better than any external light I have seen so far including the cover light of the original Amazon cover for the K3.

Firmware is Boo Reader V5.0 (build 1650)
Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard

Annotation never have been bookeen's strong point.

The left button should be "back". It is so on the first odyssey. Either your odyssey is weird, or it's a software bug. I remember someone mentioning the possibility to personalize the buttons, try to have a look in the menus.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #9
WS64

Quote:
The left button should be "back". It is so on the first odyssey. Either your odyssey is weird, or it's a software bug. I remember someone mentioning the possibility to personalize the buttons, try to have a look in the menus.
Yes, default is left back, right forward.
But you can change to left forward, right back. (unfortunately just the buttons, not the touch behaviour)
I always change hands and actually want both buttons to page forward. In the rare occasion I need to page back I can use the touch, but unfortunately a "both buttons forward" option does not exist.
So right now I have changed it to left button forward, so when I hold it in my left hand I can use the left button, when I hold it in my right I have to use the touch to change pages.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard

Ah ! I hadn't read your post properly it seam
Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
WS64 said

the lack of any kind of collections (books on the SD card can just be viewed in folder view?) is disappointing (although I can actually live with that).

That is the very reason I will buy one as soon they can be bought in North America. Bookeen is one of the few readers that supports folders.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:10 AM   #12
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I was just going to say. We have here exclusive club of the "no collections please" kind
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #13
WS64

Oh, I am a folder fan too, don't get me wrong here.
The main resons for buying especially this reader were light, buttons, folders.
But what is disappointing that it does not even have any kind of "recently read" or "favorites" or anything like that. At least not for books on the SD card (I store ALL my books on the card, none on the reader).
I told Calibre to create the folders like this: {author_sort[0]}/{authors}/{title} (this leads to T/J. R. R. Tolkien/The Lord of the Rings.epub)
But if you are reading a few books at once it is a bit frustrating that you cannot even see which books these are. I wish I could at least tag some books as "recent". (I think for books in main memory there is something like that, the last 5 books or so, but I am not sure since I do not store books there)
Old 11-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Oh, I am a folder fan too, don't get me wrong here.
The main resons for buying especially this reader were light, buttons, folders.
But what is disappointing that it does not even have any kind of "recently read" or "favorites" or anything like that. At least not for books on the SD card (I store ALL my books on the card, none on the reader).
I told Calibre to create the folders like this: {author_sort[0]}/{authors}/{title} (this leads to T/J. R. R. Tolkien/The Lord of the Rings.epub)
But if you are reading a few books at once it is a bit frustrating that you cannot even see which books these are. I wish I could at least tag some books as "recent". (I think for books in main memory there is something like that, the last 5 books or so, but I am not sure since I do not store books there)
"recently read" do exist. Unless bookeen changed that ?
On the top of the home screen, you have the last read book, you can swipe right / left there.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
WS64

Quote:
"recently read" do exist. Unless bookeen changed that ?
On the top of the home screen, you have the last read book, you can swipe right / left there.
Whatever this is, it is not really working.
I can see there one book (really the one I read last), and 5 dots below showing a position. When I switch to another position I get some books from the 100 preinstalled ones.
When I select there any other book from my SD card it will show up there, but my other read book (not one of the 100) is gone.
I am not able to make it show more than one book from my SD card, just library books.
So no way to have there 2 or more books I am reading at the same time.
Not sure if this is important, I use folder view (the only way at all I guess to see books from the SD card?), and I have all of my books on the SD card (reason is I have too many books to fit them into main memory, and I don't want to be bothered to remember where I store the books, so I store them all at the SD card).