Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Sending a card

I've ordered a Kindle for my Father for Christmas and I have a dream of sending him an SD Card with some reading material on it.

Yes, I know; it will be DRM-Free Mobi files on the card.

Being a dutiful son, I spent my money on him, , and not me, , so I don't get a Kindle this year. .

The question is:

What, if any, is the directory structure I will need to impose on the card, so it can be as plug-and-play as possible?

-brewt

brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
There is a limit on how many files you can have in the root directory. Easiest thing to do is put all the ebooks in a folder, and copy the folder over to the SD card.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
What, if any, is the directory structure I will need to impose on the card, so it can be as plug-and-play as possible?
You are a good son! Attached is the root directory of my Kindle SD. This was a newly formatted SD, all the folders were created by the Kindle. All the eBook content is in the documents directory.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleSD.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	7629  
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Bob. You too, Nate.

Audible
documents
music
system

I can do that.

The documents folder doesn't have sub-directories, I assume. And, that it'll be the same from a Mac vs a PC.

While I'm at it:

Any weirdnesses on the Mobi spec I should be aware of? I'm reading on my PC and Pocket PC, and I've heard that the Kindle implementation constitutes a subset of these, so no javascript, color, sure. Anything else?

-brewt
Old 12-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
The documents folder doesn't have sub-directories, I assume. And, that it'll be the same from a Mac vs a PC.
That's right. No subfolders and no difference for Mac vs PC.

Quote:
Any weirdnesses on the Mobi spec I should be aware of? I'm reading on my PC and Pocket PC, and I've heard that the Kindle implementation constitutes a subset of these, so no javascript, color, sure. Anything else?
I'm not a Mobipocket expert, I always used eReader format on Palms and PPC. I have just been using Mobipocket Creator to build non-DRM mobipocket books. I have imported some PDFs with varying degrees of success. I've also used HTML and Text (I convert the text to HTML first) - both work just fine. I then copy the .prc to the documents folder and they just show up and work.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

Groovy. As long as I can get a Table of Contents or two to work, with maybe an embedded picture, I'll be a happy boy.

Merry Christmas, Bob.

-brewt
Old 12-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Most of the Mobi format books here in the forum don't have external ToC. But they do have a page for ToC with ToC links which will do fine.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #8
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit View Post
That's right. No subfolders and no difference for Mac vs PC.
However, you may, if you wish, create subfolders of the documents folder (or audible folder) and put your files there and the Kindle will still find the files in those subfolders, index them, and let you read them. It won't show the subfolders in the home menu, they'll just be listed like any file.

Another neat trick you might want to do in advance is to put a stereo mp3 in the audible folder and it, too, will be listed in the home menu and playable. Maybe a recording of folks wishing your dad a Merry Christmas? [If you put it in the music folder, it will not be listed as pickable from the home menu, only playable as background music in shuffle mode].
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote