Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Calibe Companion issues and questions

I have been using CC for a few months and really like it - I just have a few issues and questions.

I am seeing an issue with custom columns - columns built from other columns, acts like tags. Multiple values delimited by commas show up as a single value including the commas when viewed as group by custom column in CC, but not when viewed as group by user collections. Group by user collection shows each comma delimitted value separately.

How can I get my library book data in CC? In Calibre I delete the epub when I return the book so I can't copy it to CC. I want to have all my books and info on my tablet rather than connect to content server. I keep the meta data in Calibre so I can remember if I borrowed something and if I liked it.

If a book has more than one format should it send both when connected as wireless device using "Send to device"? After it sends only epub, I can send the txt using send specific format. If I have only txt, txt is sent.

Any chance for sub-collections like PRS+? I have a custom column that has "Genre read", "Genre unread", "Series" and a few others as main collections with the sub-collections delimited by "|". In CC the main and sub collections are concatenated. It's not really a problem - I'll just have to create another custom column for Series subcollection for my Sony since CC already has it and I would rather not look thru all Series in my subcollections column on my Nexus.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I am seeing an issue with custom columns - columns built from other columns, acts like tags. Multiple values delimited by commas show up as a single value including the commas when viewed as group by custom column in CC, but not when viewed as group by user collections. Group by user collection shows each comma delimitted value separately.
This is a bug. I will fix it.
Quote:
How can I get my library book data in CC? In Calibre I delete the epub when I return the book so I can't copy it to CC. I want to have all my books and info on my tablet rather than connect to content server. I keep the meta data in Calibre so I can remember if I borrowed something and if I liked it.
Add an empty text format to the book so that something can be sent to CC.
Quote:
If a book has more than one format should it send both when connected as wireless device using "Send to device"? After it sends only epub, I can send the txt using send specific format. If I have only txt, txt is sent.
Send to device will send only one format, the highest priority one available. To get more formats you must do as you indicate: send the other formats explicitly.
Quote:
Any chance for sub-collections like PRS+? I have a custom column that has "Genre read", "Genre unread", "Series" and a few others as main collections with the sub-collections delimited by "|". In CC the main and sub collections are concatenated. It's not really a problem - I'll just have to create another custom column for Series subcollection for my Sony since CC already has it and I would rather not look thru all Series in my subcollections column on my Nexus.
We are looking at implementing hierarchical fields in CC. Once that happens (if it happens), then this problem should be solved.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The composite column bug was fixed in the latest version of cc (2.9.0) released today. Individual values will show for all books sent after the upgrade. To correct books already downloaded, after upgrading CC remove then re-add the column in CCs setup.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Zorg58
Zorg58 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0.7 Droid ICS
Hi. CC is a great app! Cannot live without it. I have a question: In my main Calibre app, all authors are sorted by their last names. Most authors in Calibre Companion are also sorting correctly but several are sorting on their first names. Is there a way to fix this in CC? Thanks!
Zorg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The composite column bug was fixed in the latest version of cc (2.9.0) released today. Individual values will show for all books sent after the upgrade. To correct books already downloaded, after upgrading CC remove then re-add the column in CCs setup.
That was quick! Thanks.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg58 View Post
Hi. CC is a great app! Cannot live without it. I have a question: In my main Calibre app, all authors are sorted by their last names. Most authors in Calibre Companion are also sorting correctly but several are sorting on their first names. Is there a way to fix this in CC? Thanks!
If you see authors sorting by their first name in CC then they are sorting by first name in calibre too. You must correct the author sort for these books in calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
If you see authors sorting by their first name in CC then they are sorting by first name in calibre too. You must correct the author sort for these books in calibre.
To add to what DoctorOhh said, you must correct the author sort in the "manage authors" dialog, not in "edit metadata". CC uses the same value that calibre uses in the tag browser, which isn't the value used in the books list.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
That was quick! Thanks.
You are welcome. We were just preparing to upload the new release when I saw your message and isolated the bug. Seemed like a good idea to back up a bit and fix the bug instead of doing it mañana.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
CC uses the same value that calibre uses in the tag browser, which isn't the value used in the books list.
Learn something new everyday. I did realize there was a difference.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
Zorg58

Quote:
To add to what DoctorOhh said, you must correct the author sort in the "manage authors" dialog, not in "edit metadata". CC uses the same value that calibre uses in the tag browser, which isn't the value used in the books list.
Hi, and thanks very much, DrOhh and chaley. The strange thing is, the authors are listed exactly right in Calibre, in the main view and in the "manage authors" dialogue. Are there other possibilities you can think of? Thanks again
Old 06-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg58 View Post
Hi, and thanks very much, DrOhh and chaley. The strange thing is, the authors are listed exactly right in Calibr lbe, in the main view and in the "manage authors" dialogue. Are there other possibilities you can think of? Thanks again
CC uses the author sort value provided by calibre, the one shown in the manage authors dialog. If you are seeing something different, could you take a screen shot of the manage authors dialog showing the row for the author that is showing incorrectly in CC?

Do the books showing the wrong author name have the "on device" check mark in the library view when the device is connected? If not then try resending the book. You might end up with the book twice on your device.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
Zorg58

All the titles in Calibre are checked off as "On Device."

Here are screenshots from "Manage Authors" dialogue for 3 of the authors that are sorting incorrectly in CC. A list of the remaining 'mis-sorting' authors is below the 2nd screenshot.

Charlaine Harris:
Attachment 106795

Michael Robotham and Karen Slaughter
Attachment 106796

Also: Kate Carlisle, Jasper Fforde, Stephen King, Toni Morrison and Charles Todd are all sorted by their first names. Let me know if you need more data or screenshots.
Thanks for helping me with this.

p.s. For books with multiple authors I normally exclude all but one author in the listing but authors I deleted weeks or months ago are showing up in CC. They don't show up anywhere in Calibre. Also, I have 78 books listed in CC with author, "unknown." 95% of the 78 unknown titles consist of six garbled characters each. I plan to just delete the 'unknown' group and resync but I thought I would mention it. I suppose it's just a glitch in processing the files?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You did something funky with your attachments.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

You need to attach your images to the post.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
Zorg58

Sorry. I had the hardest time even getting that far with the images. I kept getting error messages after the 'manage attachments' window, browsed to the images (2 jpg files) then uploaded, files appeared in window, then every time i hit "close window," nothing happened. I tried from a new window and got "invalid input"-type messages. So i read up on the how to page, did exactly what it said (to not start in a 'quick reply' window) and it looked like it worked. In the preview, i had to click the images, but they were there. can anyone help with that? I'll keep trying.