Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Paperwhite's screen?
Yes 191 76.71%
No 58 23.29%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #106
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Still had my parents' warning from 35 years ago in my head "You are going to ruin your eyes by reading under a blanket with a flashlight"...
My parents were cool; they gave me a flashlight battery allowance.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #107
gonewild
gonewild began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I had a few faint colour blobs too, not enough to distract from reading but they seem to have gone now too. I didn't do anything to the screen, they have just gone.
some other experiences like that? maybe we have to wait for the europe spread of PW

Last edited by gonewild; 11-06-2012 at 06:03 AM.
gonewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #108
Martytoof
Enthusiast
Martytoof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Ordered my PW on launch-day (10/2?) through a friend in the USA, just delivered to my door this morning. Screen is beautiful. I see the typical four cones of light at the bottom but that isn't aggravating.

I'm not seeing any discolouration or uneven lighting so either "new gadget syndrome" is blinding me from seeing it, or I got a good copy
Martytoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #109
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martytoof View Post
Ordered my PW on launch-day (10/2?) through a friend in the USA, just delivered to my door this morning. Screen is beautiful. I see the typical four cones of light at the bottom but that isn't aggravating.

I'm not seeing any discolouration or uneven lighting so either "new gadget syndrome" is blinding me from seeing it, or I got a good copy
Glad you got a good one. My Nook Glowlight has slight cones where the lights are and it doesn't bother me.

I canceled my PW order twice but finally decided to try it. It should be here Wednesday. I think as long as I don't have huge splotches it should be OK.. Have to admit, I'll be a little nervous to see that screen.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #110
digbybare
digbybare began at the beginning.

Ugh, Amazon has some serious quality control issues.

My original Paperwhite had a fairly noticeable blue splotch in the upper right, that gradually fades in a line toward the lower left. Amazon sent me a replacement with an even larger blue/dim spot in the middle of the screen. I finally received a second replacement today, and it seems to have a more even color (although it still has noticeable splotches at high brightness when viewed in a dark room), but the contrast is noticeably worse than either of the other two. Also, on comparing the original with the two replacements, the original seems to have more ghosting, and occasionally under-draws some sections of the screen.

In spite of all that though, it has the best contrast and the most even brightness of the three.

I really don't know which one to keep at this point...
digbybare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #111
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Just got my Paperwhite, and I am not impressed at all...

Here is the best image I could get of the lighting...

People who are complaining about the uneven built-in light, it is normal!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=1000841011
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #112
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
People who are complaining about the uneven built-in light, it is normal!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=1000841011
Pink and Green ouch !
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #113
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
Pink and Green ouch !
They should market it as a feature. The first consumer color E Ink screen. Just kidding...
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #114
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Pink and Green ouch !
I'm not sure I get what you mean.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #115
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
> Pink and green, ouch

I'm not sure I get what you mean.
He is talking about the colorations in the lower half of the screen.

Mine was similar - not that I minded that - but the type also was not sharp as on my Kindle Keyboard.

On the other hand, that might also be a not properly focused picture, so I did not even bother to take pictures that are conclusive of mine before I sent it back.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #116
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Pink and Green ouch !
Is something wrong with my eyes? I can't see ANYTHING pinkish or greenish on those photos. "Dark room, light setting low" looks a little bit blueish, but that's hardly noticeable. I can't see nothing even slightly pink at all, even in the background.
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #117
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Mine has a lot of pink and blue. The slight shadowing on the bottom doesn't bother me at all. I'm going to hang on to it for a while until the second round ship. Plus, I'm in Canada so they won't ship it to me anyway if I try to return it. Most times I can simply ignore the colouring but sometimes it really bugs me. That being said, I'll take the paperwhite over my old Kindle Keyboard any day.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #118
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
He is talking about the colorations in the lower half of the screen.
Well, I don't see any green or pink.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #119
jeffcdo
jeffcdo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
I've found that over time, the uneven lighting across the bottom of the screen bothers me so much I tend to use the Paperwhite with the light turned all the way down and a reading lamp - which pretty much defeats the purpose of having a Paperwhite. I also tend to read more than I used to on the iPad, even with the eyestrain at least the lighting is even.
jeffcdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:48 AM   #120
centhena
Enthusiast
centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite
I really like it. It's a huge improvement over my Kindle 3. The higher resolutions make my sleep screens look even more awesome and I'm really diggin' the touch interface. My only complaint is that I can't turn the light off and on. I find it noticeable even at the lowest setting vs my kindle 3 that I've grown accustomed to that of course has no light. Other than that I think it's great.
centhena is offline   Reply With Quote