Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Pics of *good* Paperwhites

For those who received a good Paperwhite, and are happy with it, I'd really love to see pics. There's been so many pics of what the bad PW's look like, it would be interesting to see pics of the good ones for comparison. Especially in both light and dark rooms.

I have a couple of issues with mine, but overall I think I'm happy with it, but I would really like to compare it to pics from those who feel they have good Paperwhites.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Unless one has ideal lighting conditions and adequate photography gear, not to mention a calibrated monitor, it will be difficult to capture a realistic image.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is true. Still, if anyone wants to post pics, I'd still be curious to see them.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Good idea, sparklemotion. Count me as one of the curious, too.
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here is a photo I took tonight in a dimly lit room. Its a fairly large living room with a single lamp across the room with a curly florescent bulb about 18 feet from where I set up the PW. The PW is set at light level 10 (I think) with Caecilia Condensed at size 4. This is a fairly accurate representation of what I see when reading though I usually turn the light level up to 12 or 14 to make the background a bit whiter. I chose to show a lesser lit screen to illustrate the lack of shadowy blotches. On my defective PW the blotches were more noticeable at lower light levels. I can see some very faint coloring in the faint shadows--a bit of light pink and a bit of blue. But I have to really look for them. The defective one was very blotchy and dark and the colors in the shadows very noticeable, so the replacement PW is a drastic improvement. Much better font contrast on it too than the defective one.

Photo using Canon EOS 60D with manual mode:

Last edited by jswinden; 10-07-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Thanks for posting! It definitely looks much better than your original one. It looks very similar to mine actually.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Jack, the bright light in the lefthand lower corner does not bother you? I swear it's blinding me on mine!!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Jack, the bright light in the lefthand lower corner does not bother you? I swear it's blinding me on mine!!!
No, but I'm a south paw so my hand might be covering it. To be honest I hadn't even noticed it.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here is a photo that was using light setting level 14. This is more like it looks when I'm reading. still just a hint of shadows but not much. The main thing I see that I hope Amazon improves is the font contrast needs to be darker due to the light. It is darker than the Touch, but the brighter light kind of negates a bit of that. In the photo the font contrast actually looks pretty good, but to my eyes the font contrast is not very dark.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-07-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Here is a photo that was using light setting level 14. This is more like it looks when I'm reading. still just a hint of shadows but not much. The main thing I see that I hope Amazon improves is the font contrast needs to be darker due to the light. It is darker than the Touch, but the brighter light kind of negates a bit of that. In the photo the font contrast actually looks pretty good, but to my eyes the font contrast is not very dark.
That looks like the lighting is very evenly distributed, without the large green or pinkish areas that seem to be a common problem.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Those pics make me want one again. I am thinking of waiting till they are Best Buy and actually get one from there. It will be a first for me but would probably save me alot of hassle in case I get a bad one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Blossom, give in to temptation. After some initial issues with the evenness of the lighting and the shading, some of which has gone away as the device has burnt in and some which I have gotten used to, I can tell you that it is the best kindle reading experience that I have had. Be sure to get it with the Kindle cover. The auto on / auto off effect with the cover makes it feel very "booky". My only regret is that they shrank the memory. I would love to carry a larger library around.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Mine looks like Jack's. I never turn mine beyond 11 (which I only use in a bright room) and usually use 3-4. At those settings the screen looks white and you can't see any uniformity issues. Since my iphone over-exposes everything I could never capture that in a photo.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Mine looks like Jack's. I never turn mine beyond 11 (which I only use in a bright room) and usually use 3-4. At those settings the screen looks white and you can't see any uniformity issues. Since my iphone over-exposes everything I could never capture that in a photo.
These lighted screens are very difficult to photograph. Not as bad as an LCD monitor, but much more difficult than an unlit Kindle for sure. The only way I can get good photos is to use my semi-pro dSLR with full manual control. I do a lot of astrophotography and this is similar to photographing the Moon--doable but rather tedious. With most consumer point and shoot cameras and all phone cameras it would be nearly impossible to get good picks of this.

Here's one of my moon shots for comparison:

Old 10-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I have that on mine too, but it's very faint on mine and it doesn't bother me at all. To be honest, every pic and video I have seen in the dark has this to some degree.

Does anyone not have it at all with the light on at higher levels?