Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #16
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
6in satisfying? Not to me.

I find 5in more satisfying because of portability and lightness; it is simply less stressful to hold. Part of it is ergonomics
Really, fjtorres?

Have you live with the Kobo or Kindle 3? They are virtually the same form factor -- and around 8 oz. I am quite impressed about how Kindle 3 makes great use of the screen real estate of a 6" screen.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #17
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
comfortable reading all depends on the person reading. with my 6" I need to use calibre to reformat pretty much every book I get because too many have a sizable margin and I need a 26 font. with a 26 font and no margins I can get 150 - 160 words to a page. with a large margin (which can get larger and larger when the font is increased) I would get 50 - 70 words per page which is really annoying.

I had been looking at the iRex DR800 because it's 8" and is still about the same physical size as a 6" reader but I decided against it and I guess that's good because they went bankrupt. I keep hoping I will find something else similar, but with calibre the 6" is still usable.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #18
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I actually started reading a paperback yesterday and was surprised just how small the paperback books font actually was.

Both my 5" PRS-300 and 6" Kobo display larger fonts in comparison and are very readable.

I do see the need however for a bigger screen if one reads non fiction or text books frequently.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Really, fjtorres?

Have you live with the Kobo or Kindle 3? They are virtually the same form factor -- and around 8 oz. I am quite impressed about how Kindle 3 makes great use of the screen real estate of a 6" screen.
Well, the K3 looks nice but I'm in no rush to replace my K2. For starters I want to see if they update the firmware on the K2. And "virtually" isn't *exactly* the same, now is it? The thing about ergonomics is that millimeters and grams matter. I like that they went to a bigger 5-way control but I'd be more impressed if they got rid of the unnecessary keyboard. That's almost two inches they could trim with no real impact to usability.

I like K3 (especially at that price) but it is hardly perfect.

Kobo? Light it is, but I'm no fan of bottom-grip designs. Neither the hardware nor the software has anything I need or want.

Since the question is about satisfaction, my answer stands; I prefer 5in to 6in.

Moving forward, I'll likely stick with what I have until I see what K4 brings next summer. If I get any new toys before then its more likely to be an Android webpad or one of the upcoming CoreULV Win7 tablets.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #20
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
As a first-time owner of an e-reader (K3), I thought the 6-inch screen might feel small, but I'm finding that for general reading it's fine. Adjustable type size really adds to the experience.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #21
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I have 3 ereaders of different size, the PRS 300, the 505 and the DX Graphite. So i have a 5", 6" and 9,7" devices.

For professional reading, mainly PDF journal papers with lots of graphs and images, plus technical books, the Kindle does a very good job. I stopped printing papers completely, and books are all in PDF form now with me, so i never carry them. The image has a very good quality and the details are surprisingly satisfactory, even for those graphs with little dots and small print. I wish Sony had a reader that size but until then i will be happy with the Kindle.

For pleasure, i read in my PRS 300. The size really feels comfortable in my hand and the amount of text is good enough. The page turning is a non issue for me since i hardly notice it. I also usually read with the smallest font size, so i am not turning the page every second, which might help. I always liked paperbacks and i think the 505 is somewhat too big to feel snug enough in my hand. I never really use the 505 now. I carry the 300 everywhere and really like its small size. That is the closest thing to my old paperbacks that i carried with me everywhere, in my pockets, or my backpack. I just have to be careful and never forget to put it in a plastic hardcase i got that really fits the device and ensures protection against everything (i even sat on it one day by mistake and the box was intact).

Last edited by Salgueiros; 09-03-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #22
GinoXB
Connoisseur
GinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura about

Device: Aluratek Libre
I've also got an Aluratek Libre as does Mr. Pockets. I'm happy with the Libre as it has the 5" screen. You can also rotate the book to the wider length of the screen so it can be approximately 6" I'm guessing, never actually measured it. Also the adjustable fonts help a bit so you can determine what's best for your eyes.

The Libre is pretty light in my hands, I don't have any on hand experience with other e-readers so I can't offer an insight to weight comparisons. If that's a factor.

To me in my hand the 5" screen seems like a paperback in size, which is a rough estimate as I haven't compared side by side. Weight wise the Libre is a little heavier, depending on thickness, of a standard paperback. I don't really notice the weight over time, unless I actually switch from one to another.

I'd say go to Wal-Mart to see the Sony E-readers they have them and ask to hold one in your hand to compare the weight to a paperback. Grab one before you head to the electronics department for comparison. Also go to Best Buy if there are no B&N near to see a Nook. I think Best Buy also has Sony E-readers. You can at least see the size difference between them in store, but I'm not sure if they have actual models to hold, usually they're in a display case.

I think if you're an avid reader and depending on what e-reader you choose, you really can't go wrong with all the available options out there. Again depending on your preferences of what you want/need and where you shop. Hopefully this helps a little?
GinoXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 AM   #23
dapriuk
Enthusiast
dapriuk doesn't litterdapriuk doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Lenovo X61 tablet PC, Advent Vega Android tablet
I've used a variety of devices over the years to read fiction and technical material. For reading fiction I have found that the kind of display is much more of a factor than the size of display. Displays with backlights such as LCD and LED are far more tiring on the eyes than the more paper like displays on the dedicated eReaders. Once at 5" or above I found the display size is no longer an issue, certainly compared to PDAs, and don't think about how a book compares with the larger paperback.

Technical books, papers and notetaking are a different matter and I have not yet found a good alternative to the 12" display on my tablet pc as size does matter with this material. I have yet to have a proper look at the 9.7" devices such as the Kindle DX and I'm looking forward to trying out the upcoming ASUS devices, the DR 950 especially.

My advice is not to worry too much about the size of display initially, buy an eReader and start using it. As you get used to reading on it the differences with a paper book will become less of an issue but the advantages will remain. Over time you will also become aware of what capabilities of the reader and software are important for you and so be able to make a fully informed choice when the cheaper, faster, better devices become available.
dapriuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:43 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticvillage View Post
Dear all - I am a newcomer to digital reading and have still to purchase my first reader. I have been reading on PC up till now. I really like this community - the posts sound friendly and helpful.

I'd like to ask about people's experience with the size of screen. The E-Book is supposed to take the place of a paperback (for example). But do people find they are turning pages very quickly with a 6" diagonal screen? From the books I have, on average I would say the reading page is more like 7 or 8" diagonally.

Any reason why 6" seems to be standard and are people able to read at a comfortable pace with this size?

Best wishes
Jim
Measure the block of text in a paper book. Yes, the pages in a book are generally larger, but there's also a margin around the text, which you hardly have on that 6" screen. The margin is the bezel, so to say. I have no problems reading from my 3.4" to my 7" screens. Don't miss paper book sizes at all, as a matter of fact, when I do have a paper book, I often am annoyed at those huge margins in them!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #25
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Kobo is easy to hold in one hand.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:18 AM   #26
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I like rather small font sizes, so a 6" screen is quite convenient for me. I only miss a larger screen for illustrations (but then I also miss more grey levels, as my reader has only 4), tables, long poetry lines...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #27
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've got a 5" device and was more than happy with that until I got a 6" device a few days ago. So I think I will find 6" more than adequate as I am used to reading on 5" with ease.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:44 AM   #28
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I like rather small font sizes, so a 6" screen is quite convenient for me. I only miss a larger screen for illustrations (but then I also miss more grey levels, as my reader has only 4), tables, long poetry lines...
A 5" screen is also convenient for me. Though, true, tables and long poetry lines can be a pain...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #29
Acousticvillage
Enthusiast
Acousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad, Marvin 3, Mapleread
Many thanks for all the views....some quite humorous!! You have eased my mind. I was just a bit worried that I would get engrossed in a page for 10 seconds and then have this annoyance of flickering between pages every 10 seconds. But it doesn't seem to be that way given what you've all said....and you all use different readers, which is good.
Thanks a lot.
Jim
Acousticvillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #30
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
6 inches is a good compromise size, actually. Remember that, unlike a paper book, fonts are enlargeable in an ebook, so the issue of making pages big enough to host letters big enough to be readable is not an issue here. In fact, there are people who are very comfortable with screen sizes of 3.5 or 4 inches (smartphone users) and there is a good market for really pocketable readers of 5 inches.

However, I adhere to K-THom's opinion. Books made for advanced reading require much larger sizes. Eventually, I think they'll require double-screen readers in order to be fully functional.
sez the person with an avatar with a sultry seductress licking the neck of a guitar. freaking PRICELESS...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote