Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Can't read epub on 505

I bought an epub book from whsmith today and used Calibre (version .6.7) to download to my 505. I went to open the book and there is only 1 page. I can read it fine on my computer through Sony library.
Does this mean I have to download it to my Reader from the Sony library? What am I doing wrong, since I thought I could load anytype of file that the 505 reads through Calibre?
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Can you read OTHER epubs with your 505? No?

What you most likely need, then, is a firmware update. I had to do that to mine when I got it because I was doing the same as you -- 'wtf, how is it not reading epub?'

Firmware is available from the Sony website, and following their instructions, it was simple and easy enough.
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
elot
elot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300 Pocket edition
Also,make sure that you have Adobe Digital Edition installed and that you have registered your Sony 505 with this Adobe ID.
Most bought Epub files have DRM and can only be read with an Adobe ID.
elot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I only had this problem (ePubs with only 1 page) when I was installing them to an "overstuffed" SD card (> 600 books on it). When I switched to a MemoryStick, I haven't had it happen since.

I do not use Adobe with DRM'd books. So I didn't have to do the Adobe ID thing elot suggests.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I believe this is a known issue when you attemp to put both Adobe DRM'd EPUBs and Adobe DRM'd EPUBs on the reader at the same time.

You might do a search on "protected page" and/or "problems with epubs, library" -- most people reported it when using library books.

Some people had luck by removing all the PDFs from the reader. My solution was to strip the DRM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505

Thank you to everyone who replied. The solution to my problem was.... I needed to register my 505 with ADE.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I believe this is a known issue when you attemp to put both Adobe DRM'd EPUBs and Adobe DRM'd EPUBs on the reader at the same time.
Huh???
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post

Thank you to everyone who replied. The solution to my problem was.... I needed to register my 505 with ADE.
I have a 505 that is not registered and I can read in epub...probably that was not the solution and you did something else.
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejons_dad View Post
I have a 505 that is not registered and I can read in epub...probably that was not the solution and you did something else.
DRM'd epubs?
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote