Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Sony Mac software

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/25/s...dition-reader/

The Mac version of the Sony software draws closer! I don't want to take all the credit, but I am sure my punchy letter to Sony back in February helped And to be fair Sony had the courtesy to reply with something that didn't look totally like a form letter!

It's all getting very exciting in the Sony camp.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...and the Sony site...

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...05&SelectOS=24

...lists OS X 10.4 and 10.5 as supported operating systems! Although at the moment selecting those options gives the message "There are no files currently posted for the selected operating system."

Getting closer though

amjb
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
Keep on top of them....

It's noticeable that the Waterstone's advertising blurb for the new readers places the Mac before the PC, as in "export using the supplied Mac or PC software for later use." Now all they have to do is upgrade the systems we are already using.

Sony have had similar problems with recognising customers requirements with their Mp3 players and Walkmen. Beautifully designed and crafted, let down by poor software, which literally drove people towards their competitors. I occasionally wonder if they have employed moles from Apple, Kindle and the other manufacturers.

OK, rant over, I'll get my coat.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
amjbrown
Addict

We are go...

http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
Old 08-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #5
amjbrown
Addict

eBL 3.0 for Mac, 23.8mb download, requires a Restart, doesn't "currently" support the PRS-500.

Enjoy!

amjb
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
amjbrown
Addict

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54617

And I thought I had an early morning scoop
Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
How exciting. At last. However I have just downloaded the software and it does not work. No doubt there will be a few bugs so will wait a few days and try again.

But I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
I just installed the program and it's not working as well....you would think they would have already fixed the major bugs b4 the launch. I get nothing when I open the program. on the toolbar it shows as running but nothing on the screen!
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
-_-

Can only wait, can't we?
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Good, so it is not just me. Amazing how a company can release a new product and never even bother testing the thing.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Druidsbane
Druidsbane began at the beginning.

Device: txtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
I just installed the program and it's not working as well....you would think they would have already fixed the major bugs b4 the launch. I get nothing when I open the program. on the toolbar it shows as running but nothing on the screen!
I recommend you install Rosetta: http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

Its a compatibility layer for programs written for PowerPC. I'm surprised and saddened Sony didn't write a program using the latest technologies for the Mac, however on the flip-side I guess its good for all those with older machines to be able to use it as well. Hope this works.
Druidsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
amjbrown
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druidsbane View Post
I recommend you install Rosetta: http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

Its a compatibility layer for programs written for PowerPC. I'm surprised and saddened Sony didn't write a program using the latest technologies for the Mac, however on the flip-side I guess its good for all those with older machines to be able to use it as well. Hope this works.
You are joking?!

Rosetta should be standard on all current Intel systems - OS X 10.5 and backwards. Snow Leopard is out on Friday, and doesn't include Rosetta by default.

I cannot believe that it is not a universal binary. Just off to check in fact!

Words fail me...
Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I believe I discussed in another thread the problems with the Sony installer that exists under PPC and Intel (the former I am familiar with, the latter is reported).
It is a universal binary according to what I have seen.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #14
amjbrown
Addict

Druidsbane - I don't know what version you've downloaded, but following the link from the mobileread home page delivers a nice universal binary. Rosetta is not needed.

I have the software working fine on an Intel iMac and a MacBook Air. A number of mobileread users on this thread...

...have had problems, and found a workaround.

Good luck!

amjb

Last edited by amjbrown; 08-26-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: wrong link!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Yeah, that was the thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Druidsbane - I don't know what version you've downloaded, but following the link from the mobileread home page delivers a nice universal binary. Rosetta is not needed.

I have the software working fine on an Intel iMac and a MacBook Air. A number of mobileread users on this thread...

...have had problems, and found a workaround.

Good luck!

amjb
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mac, sony ebook library