Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
emslondon
emslondon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Footnotes renumbering automatically

Hello,

I am working on a book which has four or five main chapters, but the footnotes number sequentially from 1 to 450 or so through the whole book, rather than starting at 1 again in each chapter (yes, I know, we tried to persuade the editors not to do this...). I divided the original InDesign (version 6) file up into chapters and created a book file. I set the footnote numbering in each chapter to begin from the correct number rather than automatically starting at 1. The footnote numbers in the InDesign files were all fine. However, when I exported to epub I lose this and the footnotes in each chapter start from 1 again.

I'd done a fair amount of work on the file in Sigil before I realised this so I'm a bit loathe to go back to InDesign, but I'd rather do this than have to renumber 300-odd footnotes manually in about four places for each footnote.

Is there any way i can fix this in the export process from InDesign, or within Sigil? I can't see any relevant options in the epub export options.
emslondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
How are the footnotes numbered, with <ol> (an ordered list)? If that's the case, there's no way in ePub (that I know of) of having a list that starts with anything different from 1. My advice is to forget about lists and hard-code the numbers in the document.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
There is start tag that will allow you to start at a different number, but flightcrew doesn't like it.

Using ordered lists can make the epub very hard to edit subsequently if there is some small change.

You might save each chapter as a separate document and bring them all together when done by adding them into Sigil one by one.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't know if the "start" attribute is part of the spec or not. I doubt it if Flightcrew barks at it. Even if it's solidly part of the spec, I know support for it in various apps/devices is extremely flaky at best.

I just know that lists (ol, ul) themselves (all but the most simplistic) are generally best avoided altogether if an all-purpose, "looks the same in/on all apps/devices" ebook is important to you.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
There is start tag that will allow you to start at a different number, but flightcrew doesn't like it.
Because it's not valid XHTML, and therefore not valid in ePub. The equivalent CSS code (using counters) is not supported in ePub either.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert