Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #16
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
http://breadboardconfessions.blogspo...rfaces-to.html

may be useful? It might be worth contacting him, as he's building this to help his Sister, so you could perhaps compare notes.

I do intend to investigate the console port, but haven't as yet, as I haven't thought of a good way to bring out the 3 wires cable through the case.

I imagine forward & back page is your main goal so your Dad can just work through a book, but more switch control would be useful?
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robar46 View Post
Can anyone provide a list of commands that would activate different buttons?
in order to simulate key- or fiveway manipulator presses you have to write
a command to a /proc/keypad or /proc/fiveway special file, respectively.

The command can be one of the following:
  • send nn
  • sendshift nn
  • sendalt nn

This can be done by issuing the echo command to the linux console shell:

echo "send nn" >/proc/keypad

'nn' here is a key code according to a list below:

Code:
; Alt + Row1 

1 = 2
2 = 3
3 = 4
4 = 5
5 = 6
6 = 7
7 = 8
8 = 9
9 = 10
0 = 11

; Row1 

Q = 16
W = 17
E = 18
R = 19
T = 20
Y = 21
U = 22
I = 23
O = 24
P = 25

; Row2 

A = 30
S = 31
D = 32
F = 33
G = 34
H = 35
J = 36
K = 37
L = 38
Del = 14

; Row3 

Z = 44
X = 45
C = 46
V = 47
B = 48
N = 49
M = 50
Dot = 52
Slash = 53
Enter = 28

; Row4 

Shift = 42
Alt = 56
Space = 57
aA = 90
Sym = 94

; Edge

VPlus = 115
VMinus = 114
Home = 98
< = 109
> = 124
Menu = 139
Back = 91

; FiveWay manipulator

; 
FW_Left = 105
FW_Right = 106
FW_Up = 122
FW_Down = 123
FW_Press = 92

; Kindle3-specific keys

; Row4
k3_aA =	190
k3_Sym	= 126
k3_Home	= 102
k3_Back	= 158

; Edge, left and right 
k3_> = 191
lk3_< = 193
lk3_> = 104

; bottom edge. same codes as on DXG, but generated by dev/input/event2 
k3_VPlus = 115
k3_VMinus = 114

; FiveWay manipulator 
k3_FW_Up = 103
k3_FW_Down = 108
k3_FW_Press = 194

Last edited by h1uke; 04-18-2011 at 10:40 AM.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
Robar46
Robar46 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (graphite)
Thanks for the help, but I am not really familiar with linux at all. What does it mean to send a command to the "linux console shell"? Do I have to access it somehow before sending a command? I've soldered wires to the serial port pads according to the layout in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49942, and I've tried sending some echo commands as you suggested but I'm not getting any response (115200kbps, 8-N-1). I've also monitored the TX line with an oscilloscope when starting it up, but I didn't see any activity.
Robar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #19
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Thinking simpler, how about a low voltage solenoid (battery powered) physically clamped over the page turn button with a foot pedal to activate it?
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Tomorrow, I successfully checked my idea with serial line. So it possible to control Kindle over Serial line. You must change root password (via ssh and usbnetwork). Reboot Kindle and enter within 60 sec, root login and password when login prompt (in the terminal). After this you can send commands to console in example:
echo "send 193" > /proc/keypad
this will turn next page.
Left to do ATMEL (or other MCU) based adapter and write software for it
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #21
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
in order to simulate key- or fiveway manipulator presses you have to write
a command to a /proc/keypad or /proc/fiveway special file, respectively.

The command can be one of the following:
  • send nn
  • sendshift nn
  • sendalt nn

This can be done by issuing the echo command to the linux console shell:

echo "send nn" >/proc/keypad

'nn' here is a key code according to a list below:

Code:
; Alt + Row1 

1 = 2
2 = 3
3 = 4
4 = 5
5 = 6
6 = 7
7 = 8
8 = 9
9 = 10
0 = 11

; Row1 

Q = 16
W = 17
E = 18
R = 19
T = 20
Y = 21
U = 22
I = 23
O = 24
P = 25

; Row2 

A = 30
S = 31
D = 32
F = 33
G = 34
H = 35
J = 36
K = 37
L = 38
Del = 14

; Row3 

Z = 44
X = 45
C = 46
V = 47
B = 48
N = 49
M = 50
Dot = 52
Slash = 53
Enter = 28

; Row4 

Shift = 42
Alt = 56
Space = 57
aA = 90
Sym = 94

; Edge

VPlus = 115
VMinus = 114
Home = 98
< = 109
> = 124
Menu = 139
Back = 91

; FiveWay manipulator

; 
FW_Left = 105
FW_Right = 106
FW_Up = 122
FW_Down = 123
FW_Press = 92

; Kindle3-specific keys

; Row4
k3_aA =	190
k3_Sym	= 126
k3_Home	= 102
k3_Back	= 158

; Edge, left and right 
k3_> = 191
lk3_< = 193
lk3_> = 104

; bottom edge. same codes as on DXG, but generated by dev/input/event2 
k3_VPlus = 115
k3_VMinus = 114

; FiveWay manipulator 
k3_FW_Up = 103
k3_FW_Down = 108
k3_FW_Press = 194
Super genuinely helpful. Thanks
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #22
glenbn
glenbn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 5th gen Kindle
Seeking a USB page-turning device for Kindle Paperwhite (5th gen Kindle)

Hello folks.
I am looking for a physical input device for my Kindle Paperwhite. The touch input no longer works, but otherwise the device is fine. I want to be able to plug in a device to the micro USB port on the Kindle Paperwhite, and then control the Paperwhite with that device.
Has someone heard of such a device sold anyplace online?

Thank you for your time.
glenbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbn View Post
Hello folks.
I am looking for a physical input device for my Kindle Paperwhite. The touch input no longer works, but otherwise the device is fine. I want to be able to plug in a device to the micro USB port on the Kindle Paperwhite, and then control the Paperwhite with that device.
Has someone heard of such a device sold anyplace online?

Thank you for your time.
Which paperwhite?

Use this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
To find out what nickname it is known by here.

(Things like: "5th generation" are marketing terms and vary depending on geographic location.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #24
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@glenbn: There are some hack for jailbroken Kindles, like KindleLazy for PW3 (aka 7th gen Kindle Paperwhite) (it needs USB OTG support which I thing PW1/your model doesn't have) as more elegant approach that doesn't require 2 devices on the same WiFi connection, or something like this which works over WiFi.

But in your case since the only input & device control method (touchscreen) no longer works then your only option for hacking/configuring extra functionality on your Kindle is using serial port connection (which requires opening up you Kindle and soldering wires to the motherboard and Terminal/Command Line skills) to do everything needed starting with jailbreak and SSH setup. If your Kindle had been jailbroken and and USBNetwork hack installed prior to touchscreen stopped working then the situation would be somewhat easier (you could just SSH over USB cable and do the necessary setup for remote control thingy)

So you be the judge, is it worth the time and the trouble or if you're better off just buying a new Kindle? If you decide on buying a new one be sure to first contact Amazon's Kindle support to let them know what happened to your current Kindle and try to get some discount for the new purchase.

edit: And if you buy new Kindle seriously consider doing the jailbreak and adding things like USBNetwork, Rescue Pack, Coward's Rescue Pack so it's "future (disaster) proofed" in the event of something similar to touchscreen dying (or some of the bult-in LEDs dying but not all of them ,and you wanting to keep using the device with lights disabled). It always better to have jailbreak and never use it then it is to find yourself in situation like the current one

Last edited by shamanNS; 02-20-2017 at 01:29 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote