Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
MatanBarLev
MatanBarLev began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Which e-reader to choose?

Hello Everybody!

I have KINDLE 3. I use this e-reader to read "ordinary" PDF files, which are NOT necessarily defined as e-books.

However, I find some difficulties to fit exactly the appropriate resolution of the screen. When I use the option "Fit to Width", I find out that the letters are too small. However, when I use the option "150%",the KINDLE screen cannot contain entirely a full line so I have to "play" with the arrows, which makes the reading very uncomfortable.

I understand that this problem cannot be perfectly solved. However, I would like to ask you which e-reader you can recommend which doesn't have this problem. I'm looking for an e-reader which I can use to read ANY PDF file effectively.

THANK YOU !
MatanBarLev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
I was at the same boat.

When i bought my kindle 3, i couldn't believe my eyes. It was my first e-ink reader and the screen quality totally blew me.

After some time i found out that it is nearly useless for viewing pdfs for the reasons you mentioned. I then gave my kindle 3 to a friend and bought a kindle DXG which has the same screen quality (pearl screen) but 9.7 inch screen.

I then updated its firmware from 2.5.8 to 3.2.1 by the hacks available here to be able to use extra PDF options kindle 3 have. I am now very pleased with my kindle. I can read most of the PDFs without zooming and for the few ones which need i use the landscape mode.

For 2 or 4 column pdfs i generally use duokan's pdf viewer.

I can't say this is the best solution but if you really want to stick to e-ink, i doubt you can find a better one. If LCD is fine with you, try ipad.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you want a device primary for reading PDFs, your best solution is a tablet: ideally an iPad (the iPad with the "Goodreader" app is an almost perfect solution to reading PDFs) or, if the budget doesn't run to an iPad, one of the cheaper Android tablets. No 6" eInk device will do a good job for this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I read a lot of text only PDFs and today picked up a new Sony PRS650, its the model released last year, a new one is due out next month called the PRS T1. I specifically wanted the older model as it has a metal casing. But the main thing with the Sony ereaders is they have PDF reflow, so basicly what is one line of text on the Kindle is wrapped around to be as many lines as needed on the Sony depending on your font size.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Reflow can work reasonably well for plain text PDFs. It's completely hopeless, though, for PDFs with more complex layouts, such as those generally used by journal articles. It really all depends what type of PDFs the original poster wishes to read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
MatanBarLev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I read a lot of text only PDFs and today picked up a new Sony PRS650, its the model released last year, a new one is due out next month called the PRS T1. I specifically wanted the older model as it has a metal casing. But the main thing with the Sony ereaders is they have PDF reflow, so basicly what is one line of text on the Kindle is wrapped around to be as many lines as needed on the Sony depending on your font size.

What about drawings? mathematical equation?
Does the SONY ereader manages with them well ?
Old 09-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
are the PDF's you are using text only? IOW's, books and novels in PDF form just not epub etc? If so the nooks handle text reflow really nice. I have quite a few books in PDF form, mind you not anything like maps graphs or the like, but regular novels, I adjust the font size and it reflow quite nicely.

now if your using PDF for more technical books that do contain graphs, maps, and the such, I agree with Harry a 6 inch eink is not the best choice . but for regualr text based books the nook is worth I shot, it renders quite nicely.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you want a device primary for reading PDFs, your best solution is a tablet: ideally an iPad (the iPad with the "Goodreader" app is an almost perfect solution to reading PDFs) or, if the budget doesn't run to an iPad, one of the cheaper Android tablets. No 6" eInk device will do a good job for this.
For me, the ideal solution is an Android tablet, running Honeycomb and using RepliGo.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
MatanBarLev

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180729056880...ht_7197wt_1185

Hello Everybody!

I thought about buying this item. My main need is to read PDF A4 files.
I'm an Electrical Engineering student, so my PDFs contain formulas, charts, drawing etc.
Do you think it's good for this purpose?

I first thought about buying Kindle DX, and I saw that this one is much cheaper (it costs maybe on half of a Kindle DX). Do you think Kindle DX is worth its high cost?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
MatanBarLev

Sorry, the link is dead. The item is Google Android 2.3 10".
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
For A4 sized charts, diagrams, etc., especially if they are in color, I'd go with a tablet over an e-ink device. As an extra bonus, a tablet with a keyboard equals a netbook.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote