Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Book jacket enhancements in 0.7.19

Generation of book jackets has been enhanced in release 0.7.19.

If you're not familiar with the feature, here's how it works.

When converting an ebook from one format to another, you may optionally insert elements of the book's metadata as a page at the beginning of the book. The page's header is constructed using the ebook's title, series, publication date, rating and tags. Comments are appended below the header. The option is enabled in Convert books|Structure Detection|Insert metadata as page at start of book.

The inserted book jacket provides a quick way to read a synopsis of the book as you open it, or to review calibre's metadata associated with the book. I find it handy to check the year of publication while reading a book.

Not all users want the same metadata added to their book jackets, so part of the enhancement is the ability to control the layout and presentation of the generated book jacket via CSS. You can find the CSS file in calibre's resources:

OSX:
Code:
Applications/calibre/Contents/Resources/resources/jacket/stylesheet.css
Windows:
Code:
C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\jacket\stylesheet.css
The CSS file contains comments describing how to disable the display of individual metadata elements.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 09-18-2010 at 10:43 AM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Not all users want the same metadata added to their book jackets, so part of the enhancement is the ability to control the layout and presentation of the generated book jacket via CSS.
Excellent works, thanks for the update.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Not all users want the same metadata added to their book jackets, so part of the enhancement is the ability to control the layout and presentation of the generated book jacket via CSS. You can find the CSS file in calibre's resources:

OSX:
Code:
Applications/calibre/Contents/Resources/resources/jacket/stylesheet.css
Windows:
Code:
C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\jacket\stylesheet.css
The CSS file contains comments describing how to disable the display of individual metadata elements.

G
Just a thought, it seems that this would be best if placed in the configuration folder with the rest of the tweaks/preferences. That way I don't have to customize this on every machine I use.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@dwanthny... I may be wrong (not unusual), but my interpretation is that if you want to customise the jacket then you would copy the \resources\jacket sub-directory from the Calibre program directory into your config resources directory and edit these copies at will.

This would follow the pattern for customised images (icons). I have also done it with \resources\catalog to allow me to customise my Catalog CSS stylesheet. Seems to work quite well.

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-20-2010 at 08:41 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@dwanthny... I may be wrong (not unusual), but my interpretation is that if you want to customise the jacket then you would copy the \resources\jacket sub-directory from the Calibre program directory into your config resources directory and edit these copies at will.

This would follow the pattern for customised images (icons). I have also done it with \resources\catalog to allow me to customise my Catalog CSS stylesheet. Seems to work quite well.
If that's the case great. I just edited the file where indicted in the first post and it worked as expected. When I went to my second machine, that shares the same configuration as the first, the edits weren't there.

Just for the record, currently I don't have a resources directory in my config folder. I'll give this a try though later tonight and see if it works the way you described. Thanks for the guidance.
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Thanks so much for giving us a specific post in layman's language to describe this new feature and how to use it. I love having the synopsis of the book and the rating as the first page.

Incidentally, on epubs, unless you also check "remove first image" this is the second page of the conversion book.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I love this feature.

So many times I've gone to read a book thats been loaded for a long time and completely forgotten what it was about.

Thank you.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Incidentally, on epubs, unless you also check "remove first image" this is the second page of the conversion book.
Maybe we're saying the same thing? I've converted over 4000 books to epub and rarely check remove first image and the Book Jacket is always the first page after the book cover.

Tags
book jacket, css