Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
tomblond
tomblond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Are files converted to .azw DRMed?

Hey everyone. I use the *@free.kindle.com service to convert my documents. Are the files received DRMed and will I run into any problems using this service, like editing their metadata in Calibre, transporting them elsewhere, etc?

Thank you!
Tom
tomblond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
They are not.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblond View Post
Hey everyone. I use the *@free.kindle.com service to convert my documents. Are the files received DRMed and will I run into any problems using this service, like editing their metadata in Calibre, transporting them elsewhere, etc?

Thank you!
Tom
No, there's no DRM. But if you're using Calibre, why not just do the conversion in Calibre? Perhaps easier?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
haroldgh
Enthusiast
haroldgh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Calibre is pretty slow, even on my extremely fast home gaming computer. It might actually be faster to email amazon.

Beyond that, it may (or may not) produce a superior result. Depends on the source material, really.

And lastly, calibre doesn't support converting MS word documents.
haroldgh is offline   Reply With Quote