Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Writernan
Enthusiast
Writernan began at the beginning.

Device: Aztak 5"
Question Strange things happening w/PDF ebook

Happy Easter Egg everyone!

Recently I downloaded a free ebook in PDF format from the web (not from an ebook store). I opened it on my computer and everything looked fine so I moved it into ADE and transferred it to my Reader from there.

I disconnected the Reader from the computer and then opened the ebook. I immediately noticed the font was VERY small so I tried to increase it. But then something strange happened. The page title increased in size, but the text was all scrunched up underneath the title and the balance of the page was blank ... I tried changing the size several times using both the "Zoom" feature and the #8 key. Nothing worked.

Any idea what's happening or if there's some way to fix it?

Thanks!
Writernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I think I would start by not using ADE to put a non-DRM file onto the PEz. I'd recommend running your pdf through Calibre and converting it to something like ePub. Sometimes that's all it takes to make the book readable.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Writernan
Enthusiast

Thanks polly. I had considered doing as you suggest but thought I'd check with forum members first. I'll definitely try it now and see what happens.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
sounds like a bad pdf scan. I would run it thru pdf transformer or try to save it as a txt file.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Writernan
Enthusiast

Polly's suggestion worked. I converted the file to ePub and all is well.

I LOVE reading ebooks on my Reader, but I'm still learning all the ins and outs so I may be back with another 'dumb' question.
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
There are no dumb questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writernan View Post
Polly's suggestion worked. I converted the file to ePub and all is well.

I LOVE reading ebooks on my Reader, but I'm still learning all the ins and outs so I may be back with another 'dumb' question.
Dear Writernan:

My old Public Speaking professor use to say:

"There are no dumb questions
There is only the poor dummy who did not ask the question
And never got an answer".

I am very happy that you love your Astak device... and, please, always ask (just like you did) to get quality feedback!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote