Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
EZ-Reader fixes and enhancements list

I'd like to keep a consolidated list for the EZ-Reader:
a) Items people consider to be problems/bugs that they'd like to see fixed.
b) Enhancements (new 'features') that people would like to see in updates.

I'll start off with a short list of things that I've gleaned from other postings, and I'll try to edit this first message to add new suggestions, so they're all in one place. Please post any additional items that may occur to you!

For BOTH Basic & Pocket Pro:
1) Make hyperlinks work in all ePub books.
2) Add a 'back' function from hyperlink jumps (long press 9?)
3) Add more font size choices to ePubs with smaller jumps between sizes (8 font sizes for ALL formats?).
4) [wallcraft] Fix: images get zoomed to larger than the page in ePubs.
5) [wallcraft] Fix: ePub page numbers get bigger with the zoom size. (Should use the same small font for page numbers regardless of the size of the main text font.)
6) Option to store "recent books" list and bookmarks on SD card, so card can be moved between readers (such as a small portable device and a larger "at home" device) and take your "reading environement" with it. (May already be there...)
7) [RichyRich] Menu option to enter a few "custom zoom sizes" (percentages) in addition to the built-in zoom amounts.
8) [KarateMonkey] An easy way to view the meta-data for a book. [dopedangel] Instead of press & release to OPEN the book, maybe long-press to look at meta-data?
9) [dopedangel] Option to show COVER of current book (or first page if no cover) when reader is keyboard-locked. (Or, see #26 below...) [cam8801] show the book cover in the bookshelf menu.
10) [tamzilla] For the mobi format, add the search feature, and enable TTS.
11) The ability to 'mark' an unlimited number of places in a book. This is not necessarily 'bookmarks' (although they COULD share functionality). You need to be able to select any WORD and 'mark' it for later reference, and easily return to those pages with the MARKED WORDS HIGHLIGHTED. This would enable one to proof-read documents ON the EZ Reader rather than at a desk on a computer screen. I'm sure folks would find many uses for this ability.
12) An SDK (compiler, tools, documentation) that allows and supports user-created programs added to the reader. Include ability for a program to prevent/cause the CPU to go to sleep (some programs would be worth having, even if they run the battery down in just a few hours).
13) [tamzilla] Larger menu fonts and the option to have the folder view and main menus use the user selected system font.
14) [tamzilla] Allow users to change the font from within a book for all formats that allow you to change the font.
15) [tamzilla] Fix for mobi - When you exit a book, have the current user chosen font remembered, instead of having to reset it every time you reopen a book.
16) [Xiaopanda] I'd like a clock on the bottom left status bar (this might require a hardware timer that woke the CPU up once a minute to update the clock, and could have an impact on battery life), although each page-turn would reset the wake-up timer, so additional updates might be minimal if it took the person less than a minute to read a page.
17) [derrell] Each 'parser' (reader program) should have a Help screen to indicate what buttons/functions are available.
18) Use proper language translations provided by native speakers (for messages and menus). For example, "Press button cancel to quit searching" should be "Press cancel button to quit searching", and "English speaking" should be something like "Text to speech" or "Text to audio", and "Not be used" should be simply "Not used". (There are many native-English speaking folks on this forum that would be glad to suggest more colloquial phrasings for all of the messages, for free...)
19) [Jane A] Improve .LIT reader support so that .LIT files are actually READABLE.
20) [A J Starr] Add a '.' (period) as a search character option in SEARCH (and maybe any other missing symbols?)
21) [Travis_uk] An OPTION to disable the blinking green light when pressing buttons.
22) An OPTION to display the file dates in the menus in a variety of cultural formats, other than just DD-MM-YYYY.
23) [Joe999] A go-to-page option in the folder directories (similiar to the one in books).
24) [Solicitous] Be able to adjust the volume without the need for using the supplied headphones with the volume adjuster (allow me to use any pair I own, with or without a hardware volume control).
25) [Solicitous] With TTS, be able to pause/continue the reading.
26) Use a fullscreen 'logo' graphic when the keyboard is LOCKED, which can be customized by the user, just like the STARTUP and SHUTDOWN graphics.
27) [greglim] Support for 'ext3' formatted SD cards.
28) Better HTML file viewer. More zoom levels, italics, bold.
29) [bthoven] Dictionary lookup inside the book.
30) [bookfanmd] Option to show the page/pages counts and the battery charge status at the bottom of the screen for all formats. [cam8801] show the current position in a book (% or page/pages) in the bookshelf menu.
31) The ability to make and delete folders, copy and/or move files from one location to another (including between the SD card and the internal memory), and delete files.
32) [Javed] Fix the bug: spaces and special characters in folder and file names cause bookmarks to be forgotten.
33) Make ADE (ePubs) use the user-selected font when the ePub doesn't specify a font (or, at least, [Javed] make the ePub font darker). The BEST solution would be to allow an external .CSS file that overrides the .CSS settings in all ADE ePubs, whether DRM'd or not. See the Needed: Customization for ePub thread for details.
34) [TheDucks] Current title's "About" page, when the displayed (Book Name) file name (and file type) can be OFF SCREEN. Can we get this to wrap and maybe a separate entry for the file type? [93terp] The ability to scroll or wrap long file names that are longer than the screen can accomodate in the Bookshelf.
35) [Semp] Add support in ePubs for more non-English characters, specifically Polish UTF-8 hexa 0105, 0107, 0119, 0144, 015B, 017A, 017C, 0104, 0106, 0118, 0143, 015A, 0179, 017B. These currently show as "?"
36) [hapmas77] Add the option to rotate counter-clockwise in addition to the current clockwise (ie, rotate 270 degrees in addition to 90 degrees).
37) [theducks] Add the ability to remove items from the "Recently read" list.
38) Alternate (Accessory) cover that has 'storage' pockets for memory cards, USB cable, etc. [irenas] I wish the ebook reader's cover had a poket for the USB cable...For example- along the spine...
39) [Spiffy] Viewer configuration - for file types that can be viewed by more than one viewer program (ePub, txt, etc), support a configuration screen for the user to specify which viewer they prefer for the given file type.

For Pocket Pro ONLY:
PP 1) [Griffonwing] OPTION to use the TOGGLE (thumb wheel) as the hyperlink and/or dictionary access.
PP 2) I'd modify Griffonwing's request to simply make the toggle up/down/push-in and the left-hand next/prev buttons FULLY programmable, with a list of functions available to be assigned. That way a user could, if they wanted, reverse the left-hand buttons so the LOWER button was "next page", or if they never use the left-hand buttons could put other functions on there. A partial list of mappable functions would include, NextPage, PreviousPage, Menu/OK, Exit/Cancel, Zoom, SelectFont, SetBookmark, Goto Hyperlink, Access Dictionary, etc.
PP 3) [wallcraft] Add support for user-provided fonts in FB2 ebooks. They are already supported on the Basic.

For Basic ONLY:
(currently empty)

For future devices ONLY:
1) A touch-screen device with a stylus, that does NOT decrease screen contrast.

Hardware and/or Accessories:
1) [AJ Starr] ACCESSORY: A hard shelled case for packing the EZ Reader(s) in for travel.
2) [Triker] ACCESSORY: A much lighter and thinner case, but one which is still a fold-out style.

Last edited by ekaser; 04-07-2010 at 11:33 AM.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I like the fact that search and hyperlinks work in some books, regardless of how loimited the scope. At least these issues are being addressed and acted upon!

I'd like the option to use the TOGGLE as the hyperlink access.

TOGGLE DOWN goes into hyperlink mode. Arrows choose the link, OK selects the link and takes you to the appropriate page, OK/BACK/CANCEL takes you back to the initial page. TOGGLE DOWN takes you back out of hyperlink mode.

TOGGLE UP goes into search mode for dictionary lookup. Arrows selects the word. OK selects the word and takes you to the dictionary defin, or pops up a window with the definition. OK/BACK/CANCEL will takes you back to the initial page and automatically take you back out of dictionary mode.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
I'd like to keep a consolidated list for the EZ-Reader:
a) Items people consider to be problems/bugs that they'd like to see fixed.
b) Enhancements (new 'features') that people would like to see in updates.

I'll start off with a short list of things that I've gleaned from other postings, and I'll try to edit this first message to add new suggestions, so they're all in one place. Please post any additional items that may occur to you!

1) Make hyperlinks work in all ePub books.
2) Add a 'back' function from hyperlink jumps (long press 9?)
3) Add more font size choices to ePubs with smaller jumps between sizes.
4) [wallcraft] Fix: images get zoomed to larger than the page in ePubs.
5) [wallcraft] Fix: ePub page numbers get bigger with the zoom size. (Should use the same small font for page numbers regardless of the size of the main text font.)
I think you need to differentiate on this list between Basic EZ Reader, Pocket pro, and both since some will only apply to one or the other while some apply to both. Or maybe you only meant the PP.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I like the fact that search and hyperlinks work in some books, regardless of how loimited the scope. At least these issues are being addressed and acted upon!

TOGGLE DOWN goes into hyperlink mode. Arrows choose the link, OK selects the link and takes you to the appropriate page, OK/BACK/CANCEL takes you back to the initial page. TOGGLE DOWN takes you back out of hyperlink mode.

TOGGLE UP goes into search mode for dictionary lookup. Arrows selects the word. OK selects the word and takes you to the dictionary defin, or pops up a window with the definition. OK/BACK/CANCEL will takes you back to the initial page and automatically take you back out of dictionary mode.
Why not just use the TOGGLE UP to return from either mode instead of OK/BACK/CANCEL?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Not all the number buttons are being used, so shouldn't it be possible to press the menu button, then a number to jump to the hyperlink, then press it again to jump back? Also, maybe a menu option to where you can enter in the percent of the size you want to view since you have the numbers to be able to key that in and/or specify a few of your own custom zoom sizes ,that can be saved to memory, in addition to the default sizes.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
May be quite possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post

Already the factory has made a simple change to the scroll wheel. When you push in you can switch from page advance to MP3 volume control. I will suggest that they add another option on there to go into Hyperlink Control.

Yes... keep a list of what changes and recommendations you want. I will not promise you will get it but it will get to the factory and definitely be considered!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Already the factory has made a simple change to the scroll wheel. When you push in you can switch from page advance to MP3 volume control. I will suggest that they add another option on there to go into Hyperlink Control.
Ahh yes, I had forgotten. I now remember reading that pushing the toggle IN is also a button.

TOGGLE IN can toggle between Page, Volume, Hyperlink and Dictionary.

Great idea, Bob!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
What would be nice is the ability to see the full meta data, I'm thinking particularly the comment field. I've over 100 books that I downloaded while waiting for my Pocket Pro to arrive, and when I'm flipping through the files I can't always remember the details of all of them.

I would think it could be done under the about option that already exists.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
smee
smee began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think my Pocket Pro already does #6 - or at least some variation of it. I pulled the SD card out of a 6" reader and put it in my new Pocket Pro. Recent files showed over a page of recent books I'd been looking at on the 6". I believe that every book I've opened has gone to the correct location.
smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
What would be nice is the ability to see the full meta data, I'm thinking particularly the comment field. I've over 100 books that I downloaded while waiting for my Pocket Pro to arrive, and when I'm flipping through the files I can't always remember the details of all of them.
Are you talking ePub files, here? What kind of information in the meta data are you interested in? (Pardon me, not terribly familiar with this area...)
Old 09-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
ekaser
Opinion Artiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee View Post
I think my Pocket Pro already does #6 - or at least some variation of it. I pulled the SD card out of a 6" reader and put it in my new Pocket Pro. Recent files showed over a page of recent books I'd been looking at on the 6". I believe that every book I've opened has gone to the correct location.
That's great to hear. I'd never heard any mention of that behavior as a 'feature' of the ereaders, so had 'assumed' that the information was stored in the devices built-in memory.

Has anyone else got both a 5" and a 6" that can confirm or deny this?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
Are you talking ePub files, here? What kind of information in the meta data are you interested in? (Pardon me, not terribly familiar with this area...)
Right now for ePub, mobi, and probably most of the other formats you can hit the menu button and select about to bring up a screen that displays the Author, Title, ISBN, and some other file data. I know there are other metadata fields available though. All the books I've got have been run through Calibre and I've added a summary, like what you would find on the back of a pbook, series name and number where relevant, and descriptive tags. I'm pretty sure they're not exclusive to Calibre either since a decent number of books I've downloaded have already had those details filled in.

It would be very useful to me to be able to view this data in the reader. Like I said, I don't remember the details of all the books I've added to my library. If my wife wants to borrow the Pocket Pro she knows even less about the books
Old 09-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
Right now for ePub, mobi, and probably most of the other formats you can hit the menu button and select about to bring up a screen that displays the Author, Title, ISBN, and some other file data. I know there are other metadata fields available though. All the books I've got have been run through Calibre and I've added a summary, like what you would find on the back of a pbook, series name and number where relevant, and descriptive tags. I'm pretty sure they're not exclusive to Calibre either since a decent number of books I've downloaded have already had those details filled in.

It would be very useful to me to be able to view this data in the reader. Like I said, I don't remember the details of all the books I've added to my library. If my wife wants to borrow the Pocket Pro she knows even less about the books

I would also like the option looking at meta data would be better yet instead of opening the book and the going to the about screen I could just look at the meta data by a long press of the number button
i.e
To open a book press its number
To just look at its meta data long press its number
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:19 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I would also like the option looking at meta data would be better yet instead of opening the book and the going to the about screen I could just look at the meta data by a long press of the number button
i.e
Great idea.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #15
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
i.e
Yeah, that would be even better. I was suggesting the about screen because it seemed like that would be the simplest place to do it.