Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Acrimonus
Enthusiast
Acrimonus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightweight multiple format converter?

I couldn't see anything in the stickies specifically about this but I could easily have missed it is there a converter out there that takes most formats easily and can convert them to .epub? Calibre works but I hate its organization style, massive overhead, slowness and just painful operation in general. I'd rather just be able to select a bunch of files, convert them to my format and put them in the location I want instead of how Calibre does it, mixing in all of the formats making me go into each books specific folder to grab each one. It's tedious.

Edit: Calibre also seems to crash every time I try to go into preferences, is it broken for anyone else?

Last edited by Acrimonus; 05-30-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Acrimonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Why not just use the ebook-convert command line program that comes with calibre? That way you can skip the GUI altogether, and it doesn't impose its directory structure or anything. (And if you know how to write batch files, you can do batch converting with it too.)

I have calibre installed just for the command line tools personally. I never fire up the GUI.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Acrimonus
Enthusiast
Acrimonus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Why not just use the ebook-convert command line program that comes with calibre? That way you can skip the GUI altogether, and it doesn't impose its directory structure or anything. (And if you know how to write batch files, you can do batch converting with it too.)

I have calibre installed just for the command line tools personally. I never fire up the GUI.
I have never tried creating a batch file but if it is anything similar to scripting in *nix then it shouldn't be too hard to pick up

Thanks!
Acrimonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just assumed you were using Windows. If you're using *nix, you can just write a script.

But yeah, Windows/DOS batch files are basically the same as *nix shell scripts, only a little less powerful.

Info on ebook-convert and its options on the calibre site here:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...k-convert.html

Last edited by frabjous; 05-30-2010 at 10:52 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote