Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2014, 03:25 AM   #1
eshajan
Enthusiast
eshajan began at the beginning.

Device: franklin ebookman 911
Sturdy Ereader

After using my Ebookwise 1150 for five and a half years I am thinking of getting a new ereader, I like the built-in light of the Ebookwise so the one I will buy has to have that.

If I compare the Ebookwise with modern ereaders a striking difference IMO is the build quality. The Ebookwise has taken a tumble on more than one occasion I have to admit, all without so much as the Smart Media card dislodging, basically it´s built like a tank.
It seems to me that the same cannot be said of modern ereaders, they appear flimsy to me, so my question is is there a sturdy Ereader with a built-in light currently on the market?
eshajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Any ereader needs to be put in a good sturdy rigid book-style case. I still wouldn't recommend throwing them around - they're not as sturdy as gorilla-glass tablets - but they're more likely to stand up to casual knocks or slight twisting. If you're prone to tossing them on the floor a whole lot, it might be a good idea to get a case with a wrist-strap attachment, or just a cheaper reader (eg Kobo Mini).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd second the recommendation to get a good case. eInk devices aren't particularly fragile, but what they can't stand are bending or twisting forces: that's what fractures the glass substrate of the screen. A good rigid case will provide good protection against that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Maybe the Pocketbook Aqua

http://www.pocketbook-int.com/de/pro...ocketbook-aqua

is a little bit more sturdy than other ebook readers, at least it is water-proof. But I have no idea if it is available in your country or available at all.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I had an Onyx Boox that was built like a tank. You might look at those.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
eshajan
Enthusiast
eshajan began at the beginning.

Device: franklin ebookman 911
Thanks for the advice everybody, whichever one I get I'll be sure to get a good rigid case for it. I was thinking about the Kobo Aura but I have to say the Onyx readers look nice as well, the Onyx T68 is going up for sale in my neck of the woods at the end of this month. Choices, choices...
eshajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Onyx I had was "Firefly" and it was much thicker and heavier than the new T68.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My Kindle Paperwhite has taken a big beating lately, accidently it has ended up at the bottom of my back pack that I cary my stiff in to and from the office and has had a fair amount of downward weight on it. I would not recommend a Aluratek Libra Pro, I had two of them and they simply could not stand up to the sort of presure that the kindle has stood up to.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote