Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Wink How I have to make Shelves now..

Hi,

I current have 1,039 books on my Kobo (despite my best intentions to keep it to 500), about 99.9% of them on a micro sd card. Today I tried to create another shelf. I have 3 1/2 pages of shelves, but as it was taking FOREVER to make one, I figured I better do it when I had some time. Well, twice it froze the Kobo so badly I had to use the paperclip. Twice. I hate that.

I decided to remove my micro sd card - I have a few kpubs on the machine - and see if it would make shelves faster and not corrupt my other shelves as those books are on my sd card.

Well, lo and behold that thing made a shelf in like 15 seconds (6 months ago with the SD card and 600 books it was over 4 minutes!!)!! My other shelves were still there, registering 0 books on them, but they were there. I made 2 shelves (misc 1 and misc 2), added a kpub to each one so it won't crash the Kobo if I accidentally try to open them (learned that the hard way 6 months ago), powered off the Kobo, inserted my micro sd card, powered on and prayed like mad that the books would reappear on the shelves and my new shelves would still be there.

Powered on, all was well - books were back on their shelves, new shelves were there and all the covers were showing. I guess I have too many ebooks for it to comfortably make a shelf.

If anyone else wants to try it, the steps are:
1) power off
2) remove card
3) power on
4) make a number of shelves
5) add device based kpubs (if you try to open the shelf with no books on it, the Kobo freezes and you need to use a paper clip in the back, delete the book later if you want)
6) power off
7) insert card
8) power on
9) pray like mad
10) add books to new shelves (renamed in needed)

Anyone else has similar issues?

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 07-08-2013 at 02:25 PM.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Make your shelves in Calibre--so much easier and less hair-tearing-out involved.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't use Calibre with the reader, I just drag and drop (fewer issues for me that way).
Old 07-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Standard question, f/w level? It might now be applicable but the more we know the better.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Standard question, f/w level? It might now be applicable but the more we know the better.
Sorry, I should have written it, but I don't know off the top of my head. According to the Kobo, it's 2.1.5 (release date of 10/12/12, which is odd because I remember having to install that software May 2012).
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can;t say it will help but there have been many MANY upgrades since 2.1.5.

No idea if any of these would help; just saying.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
VirgoGirl

Hmm, my husband has one of those versions, every chapter changes to a smaller font size.

I'm good with what I have, I just find it interesting. I only upgrade to new firmware when I *have* to, and then it's kicking and screaming all the way.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Do you use ade ? I only keep my tbr on my kobo. Currently 770 and use ade as my library/back up etc
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
VirgoGirl

I only use ADE when I borrow ebooks from my library. Other than that I store my complete ebook collection on a 16G flash card (I have only 2G free ) and on my XHD. I convert my ebooks with Calibre, format them with Sigil, and enjoy them with M&Ms and caffeine free Diet Pepsi.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

My issue is people asking for a resolution to an issue when they have no interest in taking at least the first step by using current vendor released code.

I also question font size changes on chapter change. This, if anything, points to issues with the formatting of the content.

Good luck getting resolutions to your issues. It's bye bye from me.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think your husband and you need to upgrade your firmware.

Your shelf problem sounds like one I saw when creating a new shelf. Once you enter the name of the shelf and press the next button, it would take a while to get to the screen to select books. How long it took depended on the number of shelves and number of books. I never saw it hang completely, but I don't usually have as many books on my readers as you have. Opening an empty shelf had the same delay as it also went to the add books to shelf screen. This fixed in either the 2.4.x or 2.5.x firmware.

Your husband's problem with font size is a 2.3.x problem. The font size would get tiny when going from one chapter to another in an epub. This was definitely fixed in 2.4.0. Actually, it might have been in 2.3.1 and fixed in 2.3.2.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Using something other than ancient firmware would be a logical first step, as others have said. OTOH, 'praying like mad' will have no effect on anything one way or the other.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
I don't use Calibre with the reader, I just drag and drop (fewer issues for me that way).
I'd encourage you to at least try it. I used to make my shelves with the device, and it was nothing but heartache--especially if I had to do a factory reset or somesuch.

Calibre is very straightforward, and the instructions given in the thread I posted are very easy to follow. I set things up in a couple of minutes, and I've never looked back since. Shelves are a snap now.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Second the suggestion to use Calibre to create your shelves. Just spend a few minutes once setting it up and after that shelves are automatically created without even thinking about it ever again whenever you transfer books to the reader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I'm not a huge fan of library management software like Calibre, but have to agree with other posters: it does eliminate a lot of headaches when you have a large library. Updating to the latest firmware releases prior to asking for help related to a bug is also advisable. Kobo doesn't publicly document it's bugs or bug fixes, so it's very difficult for people on forums to offer assistance unless we're running the same firmware and can reproduce the problem as well as test potential fixes.