Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
tommymo82
tommymo82 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
What are some of the best Summer reads of 2011?

Recently, upon the recommendation of a friend I purchased J.M. August's debut novel, "I Heard The Pulse..." with zero assumptions . . . One word - Shocking!

The 1st chapter is a whirlwind of cultural innuendo with strong references to pop culture, materialism, and Y-generational views on sex. By chapter 2, J.M. August truly finds his pace and the story unfolds beautifully, delving into the questions of why young people chase the notion of fame. I found it refreshing, that instead of following the typical vapid representation of LA, JM created an urban fantasyland, that not only makes the city a strong feminine character, but also a city that gives upon earning.

I thought the story was graphic at times (pertaining to sex) as well as blunt from the protagonist male's perspective - But all in all JM's insights on modern world fame chasing and love, are things I am still thinking about. For every dark and narcissistic moment of the story, there is always a glimmer of compassion and hope. It is this dichotomy that truly sticks with the reader, it is a COMPLEX character study that I am SHOCKED I found on ebooks.

I recommend this surprising book to anyone who's a fan of urban escapism in the mode of Bret Easton Ellis and Jonathan Lethem - as it was a true pleasure to read.
tommymo82 is offline   Reply With Quote