Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #16
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowthief
No study has ever proven that this is true, nor have the results of any study even indicated that this might be the case.
Well, maybe it is very personal issue, I don't know but for me no studies are required because I feel tired after reading from LCD. I had CRT before with quite high refresh rate 120Hz. I had to read a lot and I was getting tired and my eyes would feel tired, then I bought a good laptop and it improved my tolerance for online reading a lot. However, I still feel tiredness after I read for a long time from my laptop or brandnew 20" LCD. I don't feel it at all when I read a normal book or sony reader. That's enough proof for me. It might be personal, or it might be that some people are more sensetive to it. Someone might smoke for 3 years and start to feel bad and quit, while another guy might smoke for 20 years don't feel anything wrong but then collapse with cancer. I trust my feelings in this matter.

Last edited by astra; 02-12-2007 at 11:49 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #17
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I read most of my e fiction on my eBookwise 1150, with the backlighting turned way down, and I find it more comfortable than reading on my Powerbook, but that's probably largely due to the form factor. Reading on an LCD screen doesn't bother me, and I do it all day for work. It's just easier to get comfortable with the smaller eBw 1150. But I also like to read in sunny environments (in warm weather) and I can't do that on the Powerbook, whereas the eBw 1150 handles sunlight just fine. If you only read at night, I guess a backlit reader or tablet is the way to go. I just like to be able to go outside.

Regarding health, there doesn't have to be a study showing a health issue to justify someone not being comfortable reading on LCD. If it hurts, don't do it. Some people don't like the flavor of asparagus, either.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #18
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
No, it is backlighted, so you can read it in any light (unlike the Reader which requires strong light), even in total darkness. It does not tax the eyes at all because you can regulate the brightness and contrast. You can even turn off the backlight and it can be read, like a Reader, under a bright light.
I wouldn't necessarily say that you need strong light to view the Reader, sure it may look a bit crisper in bright light, but I have no problem reading mine in bed at night via a wimpy 15 watt lamp next to the bed (wife takes issue to too much light while she's trying to sleep, what's up with that? .

I do remember seeing the Rocket eBook a (long) while back at OfficeDepot, it seemed to have a nice display; though I never picked one up. Wish I would've given it a shot.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #19
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
I do remember seeing the Rocket eBook a (long) while back at OfficeDepot, it seemed to have a nice display; though I never picked one up. Wish I would've given it a shot.
I think you can still get one if you wanted to.

http://www.ebookwise.com/ebookwise/ebookwise1150.htm
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:42 AM   #20
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
I think you can still get one if you wanted to.

http://www.ebookwise.com/ebookwise/ebookwise1150.htm
Thanks Karen, I'll keep this in mind! Sure is a lot cheaper than what I paid for the Reader, though the picture looks a bit different from the one I originally saw a while back.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:46 AM   #21
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
(wife takes issue to too much light while she's trying to sleep, what's up with that? .
I feel a little bit better now. I am not alone
astra is offline   Reply With Quote