Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-15-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
mill0r
mill0r doesn't littermill0r doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader, iRex iLiad
For Comic Fans: Sony eReader vs iRex iLiad

Hello All,

I have found this nice forum recently and it has been interesting to read up on things here.
I am a huge comic fan and this was my main reason to buy a Sony eReader and iRex Liad.

I have had the iLiad for awhile and only recently aquired the Sony eReader.
Having both these devices, I wanted to share my thoughts and experience on them for other comic readers that might be in doubt for which one to go.

So here is my very short review: I might do a more elaborate one later on, when I have more time.
I used an original B/W comic from Image Comics: The Walking Dead.
The format is PDF and this PDF is optimized for both reading devices.

Display Quality

On first impression there is very noticable difference in the quality of the image. the Black seems darker and the White seems whiter on the iLiad. The 16 grey scales of the iLiad also seems to make the image more smoother than the 4 grey scales of the Sony. (see pictures)

Taking a closer look at a detailed snapshot confirms this impression, in overal the contrast is higher on the iLiad and the image is much sharper.
(see pictures)

Speed

The second thing I was curious about if there was a big difference in the speed of handling a comic between the two devices.

Both devices refresh the screen in about one second, although the iLiad is noticable faster. I didnt put a chrono next to it but I'd made a short video with my camera. You can view it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8GBNR-MngQ.

I hope some of you found this usefull, I will add more later when I get around to it

To be continued
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony eReader vs iRex iLiad.jpg
Views:	2339
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	2440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony eReader.jpg
Views:	1877
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	2441   Click image for larger version

Name:	iRex iLiad.jpg
Views:	3185
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	2442   Click image for larger version

Name:	details_eReader.jpg
Views:	1690
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	2443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Details_iLiad.jpg
Views:	1636
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	2444  

Last edited by mill0r; 12-15-2006 at 04:52 AM.
mill0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:01 AM   #2
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
What version of the ipdf are you using in the iliad ?, the basic of the 2.8 or the scotty...

because if you use the version of the scotty you will get more contrast, this will be a very useful information, to have a better comparation... can you post photos with comparations of the ipdf basic versus reader and ipdf scotty versus reader...

thanks in advance to all the users how want the eink to read manga or comics
(yes i have and iliad)
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:51 AM   #3
mill0r

I would love to compare that but it seems scotty his viewer is not compatible with 2.8
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Iliad_Software.

Any idea's how to make this work ?
Old 12-15-2006, 05:57 AM   #4
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

see this link
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&page=3&pp=15

scotty have changed his ipdf to works in 2.8, (now i'm using it, and i'm in 2.8)
(you will see a big diference) but i only have 1 iliad and i can't compare it with photos, this way
we can use your reader to be the mark...
(use the yokos installer, if you don't know much about linux)
Old 12-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead (officially), mill0r -- excellent first post too!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the great work, mill0r... and of course welcome to Mobileread

I am curious: is there also an apparent speed difference when viewing text-only books?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

That's a pretty cool lookin' comic. What is it?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:49 AM   #8
Kirys
Zealot
Kirys has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Boox M90
Cool

Could you post a preview of comics in landscape mode?
Thank you
Kirys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
splat
Zealot
splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Great post mill0r, would it be fair to say that the the iLiad is the winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qvt
That's a pretty cool lookin' comic. What is it?
The Walking Dead

Last edited by splat; 12-17-2006 at 04:51 PM.
splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:35 AM   #10
mill0r

I am still struggling to get the iPDF from scotty working, I have the shell hack and copied the files yokos made on to my iLiad but when I run it, nothing happens.

Once I get it working i'll add some pictures to show if the contrast is even better and also I'll add some pictures of the comics in Landscape mode on both devices.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:58 AM   #11
kapoira
Connoisseur

if you have obtained the installer from the forum i have tell you, when you run
you see the led blinking and nothings happens (it have changed the pdf viewer)

you will see the diference if you compare a pdf with background white with the borders of the iliad (where it you put the continus mode you see the border of the pdf) the oficial ipdf you will see that the border is more white.

compare and tell whats happens ;-)