Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-30-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
jouslain
jouslain began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Looking for an android ebook reader

Dear friends,

I've used Sony Reader (PRS-T2) for some time and I encountered several problems about web browing, such as some web pages cannot be loaded or displayed. And they told me that thise was limitatation of its browser.

So, I am looking for an e-book reader (or tablet, if you'd like to call) with an e-ink display ( I feel more comfortable with e ink than lcd) that run android, hoping that the "normal androids apps" will be more compatible withe these webpages (I don't care about multimadia)

I googled and I found that I can use normal android apps with roited nook but I also see the news abount Onyx Boox (t68 and i86)

Which one should I try?

I woiried that android on nook is quite outdated (2.3). Anyway I've never heard about Boox before.
jouslain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Hmm, that's hard to answer as I don't think there is really anything that meets your needs. The closest thing I can think of is the Yota Phone but as you can tell by the name, it'sa smartphone not a tablet.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I know you posted this a few weeks ago. Have you made your decision yet? I just ordered the T68 off Amazon so it should arrive on Tuesday. So if you are still looking, that is an option. I have no idea if it's any good though
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
eesoie
eesoie began at the beginning.

Device: none
i always use my android phone to read, it has same functions with android ebook reader, if you want to buy ebook reader, non android system likes kindle is better.
eesoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My advice is to use a tablet for the two different functions. Dedicated ereaders do not tend to do well at web surfing, however tablets do both, ereading and the web surfing equally as well.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
My advice is to use a tablet for the two different functions. Dedicated ereaders do not tend to do well at web surfing, however tablets do both, ereading and the web surfing equally as well.
It's been my experience that no tablet does as well as the best high end ereaders. Until recently my Pocketbook 302 has been by far the best reading experience I've had. My Kobo Aura HD, with Koreader installed, is just as good, possibly better. The two best tablets I have used are an iPad and Nook HD+. They come close but aren't quite there. Also, I have difficulty sleeping after reading on an LCD/LED tablet.

Web surfing on all of my readers has been, shall I say, painful. It's OK in a pinch but I wouldn't want to depend on it. It would be nice to have evernote on my reader though. The newest Onyx offerings running Android 4.0 look very attractive.

Different strokes for different folks.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
Web surfing on all of my readers has been, shall I say, painful. It's OK in a pinch but I wouldn't want to depend on it. It would be nice to have evernote on my reader though. The newest Onyx offerings running Android 4.0 look very attractive.
I have the Onyx T68, and it's a pretty good device. Certainly not perfect, but the most flexible eInk device available so far, I think. I have Calibre Companion running on it, managing a library of about 4000 books, and using Moon+ Reader to read them.

It's not an "open the box and start reading on it" type device, and it does take a little time to get it set up properly, in terms of finding apps that work well on the eInk screen (many obviously do not). If, however, you're willing to put a little time and effort into it, the results are worthwhile.

It's not the right device for everyone, certainly, but particularly for those who want to be able to have a large library on their reader and use a variety of different reading apps, it's a device well worth considering.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have the Onyx T68, and it's a pretty good device. Certainly not perfect, but the most flexible eInk device available so far, I think. I have Calibre Companion running on it, managing a library of about 4000 books, and using Moon+ Reader to read them.

It's not an "open the box and start reading on it" type device, and it does take a little time to get it set up properly, in terms of finding apps that work well on the eInk screen (many obviously do not). If, however, you're willing to put a little time and effort into it, the results are worthwhile.

It's not the right device for everyone, certainly, but particularly for those who want to be able to have a large library on their reader and use a variety of different reading apps, it's a device well worth considering.
It would be nice to have a list of apps that do work well on an E Ink screen. We could perhaps collect this for a wiki article.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It would be nice to have a list of apps that do work well on an E Ink screen. We could perhaps collect this for a wiki article.

Dale
Yes, that's a very good idea. Perhaps start a new thread in the Onyx forum for the purpose?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you think this should be Onyx unique or perhaps any Android based E Ink device? I don't have such a device so I could go either way.

Dale
Old 07-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A good point. Perhaps Android in general? I don't think there's anything special about the T68 other than that it's perhaps the first general-purpose eInk Android tablet.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Yea, I think Android general with a note in the first message as to the device tested. Sony has Android devices as well except I think you need to jail break them for general purpose.

Dale