Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #61
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I second The Voyage of the Minotaur.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:38 AM   #62
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Updated to this point. Please let us know if you notice any errors. Thank you.

According to the first post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

The nominations will run through Aug 1 or until 10 books have made the list.
Voting (new poll thread) will run for 5 days starting Aug 1.
We are getting close as there are 8 fully nominated books and we only need 2 more fully nominated books. [I'm off to bed, so if someone could keep watch, please.]

Post #13 contains the nominated books and Post #1 will show the fully nominated books.

**Thank you for the Shogun link, beppe. I used the "Shōgun" spelling to search instead of the "Shogun" spelling. **
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #63
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

It would be really cool if we could get a third for The Great War and Modern Memory and The Woman Who Walked Into Doors to complete the ten. Just saying.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #64
bookwormat
bookwormat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your second URL has an error. I've posted the correct URL below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dgun_%28novel%29
oh, thanks for that!

One warning about Shogun: It's quite a tome: 26264 Kindle locations / ~600,000 words.

I discovered it when someone was suggesting it on the Anna Karenina thread. I've always been fascinated by the Japanese Sengoku period, so I started reading a few days ago.

So far this is most engaging book I read this year. Even if it does not get a third nomination, I suggest everyone who likes a well written adventure with a historic background put it on their reading list.
bookwormat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If we get a third for The Book of Fate then we'll be at 9 and will need just one more to got o a vote.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-29-2011 at 10:26 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormat View Post
oh, thanks for that!

One warning about Shogun:
One more correction. It's actually spelled Shōgun
Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #67
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
If we get a third for The Book of Lies then we'll be at 9 and will need just one more to got o a vote.
You mean The Book of Fate, don't you? I can't see The Book of Lies nominated.
(If I'm wrong, I'll third Book of Lies, I've already seconded Book of Fate)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
You mean The Book of Fate, don't you? I can't see The Book of Lies nominated.
(If I'm wrong, I'll third Book of Lies, I've already seconded Book of Fate)
Thanks for pointing out my mistake. It's been corrected.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #69
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd second or third some other choice with my last vote, but I'd probably be dooming my nomination.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #70
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Here is a proper description of Slaughterhouse Five to replace the one we have that's not really a description.
Thanks, Jon!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks, Jon!
Happy to help.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #72
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I will Third _The Book of Fate_ sounds interesting.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #73
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
One more fully nominated book and we'll close the poll. We currently have 9.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'll use my third nomination to nominate yet another book.

I hereby nominate Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Quote:
Atticus O'Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he's twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he's hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.
The following link is to a review. May contain spoilers.

http://www.bloodofthemuse.com/2011/0...e-del-rey.html

From the review...
Quote:
Kevin Hearne has done the impossible in Hounded, the first volume in the Iron Druid Chronicles. He makes druids cool, elevating the class beyond just a Kaiser employee with a better attitude.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #75
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I will 2nd Hounded
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote