Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Question Fixing an epub from KindleImport

I am working on fixing errors in an epub that I created via KindleImport and given my lack of experience in this area am unsure of the appropriate way to do so. The F7 FlightCrew validation yields two types of errors. The first is:

Quote:
OEBPS/content.opf - 30 - The <item> element's "media-type" attribute has value "application/x-font-opentype", but the file's media type is "application/vnd.ms-opentype".
Am I correct in assuming the proper way to fix this is to adjust the media-type attribute in content.opf?

The second type of error is:

Quote:
OEBPS/Styles/&quot;fonts/Fort-Book.otf&quot; - N/A -This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.
Tracking this down I find the Fort-Book.otf reference in Style0002.css which is used only in part0147.xhtml in the document. As the error notes, the font is not present in the epub. Is the appropriate fix to replace it with one of the fonts present? Is it possible that the font was in the original azw3 and KindleImport had problems with it? Is the font file available somewhere and can I incorporate it into the document?

Thanks for any assistance or guidance you can give.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 02-04-2016 at 01:56 PM. Reason: quotes were incomplete
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I am working on fixing errors in an epub that I created via KindleImport and given my lack of experience in this area am unsure of the appropriate way to do so. The F7 FlightCrew validation yields two types of errors. The first is:

Am I correct in assuming the proper way to fix this is to adjust the media-type attribute in content.opf?
Yes. You're correct. Changing the media type in the opf manifest is the way to fix this.

And for future reference, you may want to drop the "F7" from your references to "F7 FlightCrew Validation." In the latest versions of Sigil, "F7" is no longer associated with FlightCrew (like it is in your older Sigil). FlightCrew is now a separate Validation plugin. So just referring to it as "FlightCrew" will probably help avoid any confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
The second type of error is:

Tracking this down I find the Fort-Book.otf reference in Style0002.css which is used only in part0147.xhtml in the document. As the error notes, the font is not present in the epub. Is the appropriate fix to replace it with one of the fonts present? Is it possible that the font was in the original azw3 and KindleImport had problems with it? Is the font file available somewhere and can I incorporate it into the document?
I saw that one, myself. Not really sure what to make of it actually. My guess is that it was messed up when it went into Kindlegen, because filenames simply don't come back out of a KindleBook binary that way. Because filenames don't actually exist in a KF8 Kindlebook.

But regardless, a search of that (and the other css file) shows that a font family named "Fort-Book" is never assigned to any elements via css. Further searching shows that all 6 of the fonts included in the epub (the font folder) all have corresponding @font-face declarations somewhere in the two css files. So it seems in this case that this css @font-face is unused and unneeded. I'd frankly just delete that @font-face { } statement from the css and move on.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert