Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
The National Association of Scholars book list

iBooks love: free e-books worth reading

"The National Association of Scholars just published a list of brain-challenging books that they recommend for college reading programs, but which should be of interest to any passionate adult-level reader. These books were selected for presenting important, well-argued ideas with a level of complexity that stretches the mind ...."

This is mainly for the general public and promoting some good books. I'm sure that MR has most, if not all, of these books.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 09-18-2010 at 08:39 PM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Here is the complete list of their 37 recommendations.

http://www.nas.org/polArticles.cfm?Doc_Id=1545

Heavily tilted to political and religious themes.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Here is the complete list of their 37 recommendations.

http://www.nas.org/polArticles.cfm?Doc_Id=1545

Heavily tilted to political and religious themes.
Thanks for the link to the complete list.

I'd suggest that everyone look at the list themselves. They might have different take on it.

To some any book that references religion, or a differing political view, will seem offensive and objectionable. But most of history is made up of politics and religion. Should someone be ignored because they have a belief other than ours? Our world would be very small if we did so.

I find some of the listed books uninteresting. But that's a personal view. Others look interesting.

I think that the following may be a better indicator of the books on the list;
We sought diversity—the intellectual kind.
We sought texts that are just a bit over students’ heads, but not so far that they are beyond reach.
We sought works that are not contemptuous of humanity or dyed in profound cynicism.
In fiction, we sought works that exemplify elegance of language and a degree of complexity, along with moral seriousness.
In non-fiction we looked for works that exemplify important ideas, lucidly argued, and writers who take their rhetorical task seriously.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:31 AM   #4
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought their criteria was very good. But if an 18yo isnt interested in the subject matter, they wont read it and if forced, wont enjoy it. Enduring years of uninterested reading material in college may put off a person the rest of their lives.

Personally I believe there is a difference between ignoring someone and studying them.

Fortunately, I didnt have to take any literature classes in college.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:52 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A very interesting selection of books indeed. Anyone would be the better for reading them. Many of them are rather "American", but I suppose that's to be expected, given the source.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
SameOldStory
My True Self

If we only read what interested us I would still be reading comic books.

I certainly read more than enough boring books in school. And out of school for that matter. I think that it took me about a year to read the Iliad when I was 16 - 17. Perhaps I would understand it better and enjoy it more now.

No. Thank you very much, once was enough. For me, at least.

"We sought diversity—the intellectual kind.
We sought texts that are just a bit over students’ heads, but not so far that they are beyond reach."

Those are the reasons to read things other than what you like.

This is certainly not about you. But we all think that we are very smart and knowledgeable. After all, We know everything that is of interest to us. What an epitaph for all of humanity.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Of the 37 books listed I read 3. OK maybe 2. Cliff Notes of Julius Caesar probably doesnt count.

Job and Ecclesiastes only then.

Edit- Considering how popular Manga is among adults you wouldnt be alone.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read 14 of the 37; there were a number that I hadn't heard of. I'll have to try and read some more - there were several of the ones I'd not come across that sound interesting.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I was expecting a really snobby list, but a lot of those are actually really good books. A lot on there I've been meaning to check out, too, and what's best is that a lot of them are free!
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
My mom had that sort of experience in school when they read Shakespeare, and then some months later she saw a performance of Julius Caesar on TV and it came more alive for her. Sometimes a person isn't ready for a particular book (Steve Allen wrote a short article about that) and sometimes a different media is all that's needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
If we only read what interested us I would still be reading comic books.

I certainly read more than enough boring books in school. And out of school for that matter. I think that it took me about a year to read the Iliad when I was 16 - 17. Perhaps I would understand it better and enjoy it more now.

No. Thank you very much, once was enough. For me, at least.

"We sought diversity—the intellectual kind.
We sought texts that are just a bit over students’ heads, but not so far that they are beyond reach."

Those are the reasons to read things other than what you like.

This is certainly not about you. But we all think that we are very smart and knowledgeable. After all, We know everything that is of interest to us. What an epitaph for all of humanity.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:24 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
My mom had that sort of experience in school when they read Shakespeare, and then some months later she saw a performance of Julius Caesar on TV and it came more alive for her. Sometimes a person isn't ready for a particular book (Steve Allen wrote a short article about that) and sometimes a different media is all that's needed.
I only live about an hour's drive away from Stratford-on-Avon, so I always go and see the plays that the Royal Shakespeare Company put on each summer reason; they normally do four different plays each year, and show them in rotation. Seeing Shakespeare live - and performed well - is a completely different experience from reading it!