Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Sony brings the e-book to the PSP

PSP Updates reports that Sony PSP users can soon read e-books on their beloved devices with Sony's recently demonstrated "Contents Viewer":

The Contents Viewer enables users to view e-books and comics stored in the memory stick. You can download these contents from the contents specified website for the Contents Viewer, then view them while you are offline. Multi-task function will be introduced to enable users viewing comics while listening to music.

Meanwhile, David of Teleread makes the persuasive argument that as long as Sony doesn't understand that proprietary DRM stifles innovation, encumbers the consumer and increases the cost and effort involved in distributing content, nobody really gives a damn about them.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Unfortunately, despite Sony's impressive capabilities when it comes to producing some great hardware, I agree with David. I generally avoid Sony wherever possible as a feel-good personal protest against their whole DRM attitudes, proprietary technology (like the memory stick), and their customer service approach (my Clie was a wonderful device, but customer service was miserable), and because I expect to find nothing but roadblocks when it comes to using the device for content viewing.

I used to look for Sony everytime I bought electronics. Now I look elsewhere and only settle for Sony if it's a standout product. But I'm still hoping that they will learn to "play nice" with standards and gain a fresh new perspective on customer service and general usability of content. Surely I'm not the only customer that they've turned away over the years.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
Nope. You're not, Bob. Their history and customer service was a Major factor in why I never purchased a Clie, despite them having some incredible designs. That, and their memory stick technology was rather "incompatible" with SD Card technology, which was where I was heavily invested due to my camera, and my other Palm devices.

So, Sony shot themselves in the foot. And from the looks of it, they just aimed a canon this time, and again, it was aimed rather poorly, and now both feet seem to be shot out from under them.

I pity them, but I don't want to purchase any hardware, music or other services from them. Now it's coming time for me to vote with my money as to how I feel about them. Therefore, I'm going somewhere else for what I need.
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote