Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Lrx on Calibre

I know this has been talked about before but it is something I would like to see in Calibre-- that is the ability to handle BBeB Secure files, even if it only added them to the library and sent them to the device. Of course in a perfect world, I'd like to edit the metadata too.

I don't want to remove the DRM, though I think it's only a matter of time before publishers realize it does more harm than good. I just want to be able to ditch Ebook Library for file transfers. It's a sad little buggy program.

Last edited by HistoryWes; 01-15-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: fingers too fat
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In order for that to happen, the DRM has to be cracked.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You don't need to crack anything just to read metadata.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

calibre already reads the metadata (thanks to you, by the way But editing it is not possible.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
CaptOzone
CaptOzone began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Just rename the .lrx file to .lrf, then bring into calibre. You can then edit metadata, etc., and then use the "send to device" to put it on the reader. The file will still have DRM, but calibre doesn't care since it is seeing it as an .lrf file. Note that you will not be able to view the file through calibre.

I do this all the time with zero problems.
CaptOzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOzone View Post
Just rename the .lrx file to .lrf, then bring into calibre. You can then edit metadata, etc., and then use the "send to device" to put it on the reader. The file will still have DRM, but calibre doesn't care since it is seeing it as an .lrf file. Note that you will not be able to view the file through calibre.

I tried this. I can load it into Calibre and edit meta data, but Calibre won't send it.

OK. Well I tried it again on one file and it worked. Go figure.

Last edited by HistoryWes; 01-19-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: New info
Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist

Well I completely removed all the books on my PRS and replaced them, including the lrx (renamed to lrf files) using Calibre and it all worked fine. Apparently my problem was not that Calibre didn't like the files. It was using both eBook Library and Calibre alternately. From now on, Calibre is my library program. I'll only use eBL for purchasing ebooks from Sony/Borders.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
dbh123
dbh123 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOzone View Post

Another data point: I tried importing a purchased .lrx file into calibre without renaming and it seems to handle it fine.

Having said that calibre was also able to display the contents using "view", so I guess the book wasn't actually DRM'd. The digital rights shown by the PRS-505 are "Full, viewable".

Good news is that it looks like I can finally dump the sony ebook reader (except for purchasing content) and do all my sync'ing with Calibre!

Maybe some way of auto-importing new purchased content into calibre might appear in a future verison of calibre? Not that it's hard to do by hand...

Maybe I'll get of my tush and spend an afternoon getting the calibre dev env up and running so I can do it myself

Darren.
dbh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre has supported reading metadata from LRX files for a while now.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hmmm... Kovid, correct me if I am wrong... but I think calibre will use the Sony software to view an LRX file.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah but it can extract the metadata from the LRX file
Old 02-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
yeah but it can extract the metadata from the LRX file
Right, but if you read DBH's message he seemed to say he used the internal calibre viewer on an LRX file. I don't think he did. I'm assuming it used the Sony software viewer and he didn't realize it.

BOb
Old 03-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
So the work around to get DRM lrx books to the reader via calibre, is to rename the extension? It would be nice if it would simply move them over. I tried last night, and it would import and display metadata but would not move them to the reader. I know it's DRM'ed but it would be nice to not have to use file explorer and the extra step to move the books onto the reader.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

calibre should move .lrx files to the device. I know others have said it works just fine.

BOb
Old 04-18-2009, 04:08 AM   #15
Djehuty
Connoisseur
Djehuty began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm trying to get this to work right now, and I'm having no luck. Whether or not I rename the files, the reader won't read them. It says "Protected Page," and that's all.
Djehuty is offline   Reply With Quote