Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Paperwhite and collections

Can collections be set up on the PW2 on the machine or do you have to be set up on line using the cloud. All of our books are side-loaded from calibre

My wife has collections on her older keyboard kindle but she cannot figure out how to set them up on her new PW2.

I am little help to her as I use a Nexus 7 for my book reading.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's worth reading the User Guide; it's all explained in there. To create a collection you use the cunningly hidden "Create New Collection" item on the menu of the home page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Thanks I seldom read user guides and generally sort out things, but its my wife's ereader and I am not supposed to touch it, but that doesn't stop her from asking me how do I do this.

She is now reading the manual and learning. I had a quick peek at a manual on line and most of what she has asked me is in there and easy to figure out.

She is on her own now.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
dleighb
dleighb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I will be interested to see how this works for you. I, too, sideloaded my books from Calibre. When I put them all on my PW2, and then created a collection and went into the collection to select the books I wanted to add, all the books from Calibre AND all the books from my Cloud showed up, so I ended up with duplicate books. Plus, every time you try to add the book, it gives you a warning that your book is not synching with the cloud and you have to okay through that on each one. It is horrible. Truly horrible. If you have a different experience, I will happily call Amazon and ask them why mine is broken.
dleighb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleighb View Post
I will be interested to see how this works for you. I, too, sideloaded my books from Calibre. When I put them all on my PW2, and then created a collection and went into the collection to select the books I wanted to add, all the books from Calibre AND all the books from my Cloud showed up, so I ended up with duplicate books. Plus, every time you try to add the book, it gives you a warning that your book is not synching with the cloud and you have to okay through that on each one. It is horrible. Truly horrible. If you have a different experience, I will happily call Amazon and ask them why mine is broken.
Unfortunately that is the way collections has been changed since the 5.4.2 update, there is nothing at this time you can do to change this. As to the duplicates, you need to go through the Amazon books which you have changed in Calibre and make sure they have the same ASIN which is associated with your book in Amazon. Calibre's conversion tool removes the ASIN from the file, so if you have converted them with Calibre, they will definitely need to be changed back to Amazon's ASIN.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Unfortunately that is the way collections has been changed since the 5.4.2 update, there is nothing at this time you can do to change this. As to the duplicates, you need to go through the Amazon books which you have changed in Calibre and make sure they have the same ASIN which is associated with your book in Amazon. Calibre's conversion tool removes the ASIN from the file, so if you have converted them with Calibre, they will definitely need to be changed back to Amazon's ASIN.
The 5.4.2 update can be reverted, to return to 5.4.0 which does NOT have this grief, for the brave of heart, more details here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt

And I would like to know how you are checking and fixing the ASIN in the book files, after calibre replaces it with the UUID...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
i've been doing a little fiddling around with my pw and reading the manual too. I just tried adding a book to an existing collection, one that was already on the kindle, I did not create it. I added a book i had side-loaded with calibre. It's in the collection, but the book is still in the home page list.

Is this to be expected. BTW, my firmware is 5.4.2. If I remember correctly this is the latest firmware, and apparently not popular at all.

BTW, I also got a message when I added the side-loaded book to the collection that it would not be synced to the cloud. Makes sense that Amazon doesn't want to store content not purchased from them.

This brings up another question, why was there already a collection on my pw. Does Amazon create some by default?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The 5.4.2 update can be reverted, to return to 5.4.0 which does NOT have this grief, for the brave of heart, more details here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt
I have already fixed all my collections, so I am going to stay with 5.4.2 so all my work is wasted.

Quote:
And I would like to know how you are checking and fixing the ASIN in the book files, after calibre replaces it with the UUID...
All the ones that have been identified that Amazon is not recognizing, I use the Mobi Meta Editor Java script to put the right ASIN in the 113 field. Now I do not let Calibre convert any of my Amazon files, because once you do it takes out the ASIN and puts in their UUID number. This was the longest part of my collections fixes because a lot of the files were not recognized as Amazon files. I got the file from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...bi+meta+editor
Old 12-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
i've been doing a little fiddling around with my pw and reading the manual too. I just tried adding a book to an existing collection, one that was already on the kindle, I did not create it. I added a book i had side-loaded with calibre. It's in the collection, but the book is still in the home page list.

Is this to be expected. BTW, my firmware is 5.4.2. If I remember correctly this is the latest firmware, and apparently not popular at all.
If your view is not set to collections, it will appear on the home page and within its collection(s).

Quote:
iBTW, I also got a message when I added the side-loaded book to the collection that it would not be synced to the cloud. Makes sense that Amazon doesn't want to store content not purchased from them.
Yes this is expected, annoying I know.

Quote:
iThis brings up another question, why was there already a collection on my pw. Does Amazon create some by default?
If you've ever created any collections on any device within your account, these will have been imported onto your pw the first time you registered it.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
If you've ever created any collections on any device within your account, these will have been imported onto your pw the first time you registered it.
If I did that, it was a long time ago, yeah maybe I did. Shortly after getting my kindle kb, I discovered calibre and the collections plugin.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
I have already fixed all my collections, so I am going to stay with 5.4.2 so all my work is wasted[/url]
Do you don't mind me asking - does your new organization now become the default structure for all your devices, or is there chance the cloud will export the old categories back again when you log in to Amazon's server?
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Do you don't mind me asking - does your new organization now become the default structure for all your devices, or is there chance the cloud will export the old categories back again when you log in to Amazon's server?
Yes this is the default structure for my collections. Unfortunately the other devices that I use are not Cloud Collections eligible, ie the k4pc and k2 devices. Which is a major PITA because all my collections are created and maintained in k4pc.

I do see my pw2 collections on the android phone but I never use that app unless I am desperate to read and I have neither my pw or Fire with me, and this hardly ever happens. So I do not have two CC eligible devices, maybe I will create some on my cell to see if they do in fact upload to the pw.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have already fixed all my collections, so I am going to stay with 5.4.2 so all my work is wasted.

All the ones that have been identified that Amazon is not recognizing, I use the Mobi Meta Editor Java script to put the right ASIN in the 113 field. Now I do not let Calibre convert any of my Amazon files, because once you do it takes out the ASIN and puts in their UUID number. This was the longest part of my collections fixes because a lot of the files were not recognized as Amazon files. I got the file from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...bi+meta+editor
Right, I remember we mentioned that somewhere... But does it work for KF8?? Or do you have to use all .mobi?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Right, I remember we mentioned that somewhere... But does it work for KF8?? Or do you have to use all .mobi?
Mine are in both formats, so I am not sure if it distinguishes between the two but all the ones that were problems, over 100 of them, I fixed with the editor. I will do some tests on the KF8 formats and see if it makes a difference. Though I am thinking maybe not, because the mobi formats are the ones that I could not get Amazon to recognize, even after I added the ASIN. I will do some research on doing some converting to KF8 and see if it works or not.

BTW: Without actually re-converting them, is there a way to tell which is KF8??
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
BTW: Without actually re-converting them, is there a way to tell which is KF8??
Usually you just look at the file extension. azw and mobi (and prc) are mobi7 formats, but .mobi might also be a joint-mobi which is confusing. And .azw3 is ALWAYS KF8.

Importing to calibre will automatically sense which type it is and rename azw to mobi, but I believe it leaves joint-mobis as .mobi