Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
zeek2517
zeek2517 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zeek2517 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zeek2517 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zeek2517 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Looking for recommendation

Hello,
I just got done reading "The Fall of Angels" by L.E. Modesitt I really liked the idea of a high-tech group of people getting transported to an alternate low-tech magic using world.

Does anyone have any recommendations along that theme?

Thanks
zeek2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You might like Her Majesty's Wizard by Stasheff (no e-version that I've ever found for that one, though), Or the Ring Of Fire series, the first one is 1632, no magic in that one, though.

Going somewhat the other direction, The Excalibur Alternative is a good read.

The Belisarius series is kinda in the same ballpark, the first four books in it are in Baen's free library, as are 1632 and The Excalibur Alternative

You also might find David Weber's "portals" series, the first one there is called Hell Hath No Fury

Those should give you a few directions to look.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you liked "Fall of Angels", the obvious next step would be to read the rest of the "Recluse" series - it is a truly excellent series. The book you've read, although chronologically the first, is the 6th book in the series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
zeek2517
zeek2517 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zeek2517 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zeek2517 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zeek2517 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you for the replies. I am going to finish the Recluse series. I am on the "Colors of Chaos" at the moment. I figured I might as well get some recommendations for what next.

The recommendation of NatCh sound interesting. I think I might check out the Portals series next. Unless someone comes up with some other suggestions along that theme.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can get 12 & 13 at Sony and #14 at BooksOnBoard. This is the Reculse series of course.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
zara
zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: palm tx
if you are not opposed to 'transporting' slightly to another genre, i highly recommend connie willis' doomsday book.
zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
zara
zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

if you are not opposed to 'transporting' slightly to another genre, i highly recommend connie willis' doomsday book.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
zara

(3rd time's a charm? i'm experiencing problems posting to this thread for some reason)
Old 03-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zara View Post
(3rd time's a charm? i'm experiencing problems posting to this thread for some reason)
Sorry 'bout that, zara, the spam filter was getting overexcited about the link in your message. It should stop happening pretty quickly ... I think its "probation" threshold for new members is something like 10 posts, which you're almost at (and is also why I'm leaving your repeat posts so that they'll add to your post count ).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
zara

heh, sorry about that.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #11
zeek2517

hehe. That's ok Zara, you can admit your just a post count monger and wanted to get you number up .
I appreciate the suggestion as well.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #12
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
dunno about magic,but Clark Ashton Smith has a good story about a laboratory and its last keeper in a primitive world .Will try to remember the name.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:58 AM   #13
zara

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek2517 View Post
hehe. That's ok Zara, you can admit your just a post count monger and wanted to get you number up .
I appreciate the suggestion as well.
I'm happy to help! and yeah, I confess, but that was nothing... you should see my post count fly after a good dose of caffeine.

in fact, fair warning to mods here, if you see me login from a coffee chain IP, you may want to slap a post cap restriction on me

~

regarding the op again, now I really have a bone to pick with crichton over his ludicrous 'state of fear', so I can't believe I'm going to recommend one of his other books that might be of interest to you: 'timeline' - not exceptional, but an interesting novel nonetheless.

Last edited by zara; 03-27-2008 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yeah.. I understand you, Zara, regarding Chricton's books. I have "Next" sitting at home, and I bought it without the knowledge that he did that whole State of Fear thing. I remember James Inhofe recommending the book , and never connected it to Chricton :P
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #15
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
"The dark age" by Clark Ashton Smith

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings...5/the-dark-age
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote