Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
Jaede
Enthusiast
Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Mistaken Identity

This is for fans of E-Readers.

I've browsed often through this forum, and learned many things about E-Readers from the many people who post here. I have owned a Sony PRS-505, a Nook 1E, a Kindle 3, and my latest reader the Nook Simple Touch.

I've never rooted these devices since the technical aspect of rooting intimidates me somewhat, but I have worked with them, researched them, and managed them with Calibre to such an extent that I feel they hold no secrets for me.

Note-I'm not knocking the Kindle, or Amazon. I rather like buying from Amazon, and loading those books onto the Nook, and if the Kindle had custom screensavers and expandable memory I honestly think it would be superior to the other readers on the market.

My rant, or question to the masses is this: How often have you been reading on an E-Reader that is not a Kindle, and had some ignorant noob look at it and ask if it was a Kindle? And then when you explain what it is they give you a blank look, a nod, and walk away still convinced what you held in your hands is a Kindle. Maybe it's just me, but each device is shaped so differently that it's relatively easy to tell them apart. I don't know about the rest of the readers out there who have given up paperbacks for E-Ink, but this bothers me every time it happens.

Any thoughts?
Jaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
That never happened to me.

OK, I own a Kindle, but people around me know that not every eReader is a Kindle, not every smartphone is an iPhone and not every notebook is an IBM ThinkPad. Just like not every car is a Volkswagen.

You have weird people around yourself.
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
Denko
Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Haven't had it happen to me. They usually ask "hey is that an ipad?"
But i appearantly have an iphone/ipod aswell. Could have sworn it said Google on the back of the phone

People connect a brand to a device, and once that's done it takes ages (if ever) to get rid of.
Kindle and ipod are just the latest example's. Think of ducktape, hansaplast etc etc aswell.
Denko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Torwan, maybe this is because you live in Germany and here Kindle isn't a synonym for eReaders yet (if any brand is connected to eReaders at all then I would think it's Sony).

What I observe regularly: in my library there is a very small exhibition of eReaders for testing and everytime someone comes testing them they start rubbing vigorously at the screen and being very disappointed when nothing happens. They treat them exactly like they would treat an iPad!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denko View Post
People connect a brand to a device, and once that's done it takes ages (if ever) to get rid of.
Kindle and ipod are just the latest example's. Think of ducktape, hansaplast etc etc aswell.
Hansaplast

Never heard of it. Is it a Kindle?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
No but -- I was driving my Land Rover last weekend and somebody asked me if I like my truck.

Really I don't think most of the general population cares that much and in the US - Kindles are what you see on TV. Here, the average adult reads something like 1 to 2 books a year and they just aren't interested in whether there are 1 or 7 brands of eInk readers. They see the Kindle on tv, they call them Kindles.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
a- "Wanna Coke?"

b- "Sure"

a- "What flavor - orange or root beer?"

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
There are lots of brand names that become nouns. Xerox, Coke, PC, Kleenex, Windex, Band-Aid, Jello, Scotch tape, etc. I think they're called eponyms.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
There are lots of brand names that become nouns. Xerox, Coke, PC, Kleenex, Windex, Band-Aid, Jello, Scotch tape, etc. I think they're called eponyms.
Agreed!

The word "Kindle" or some variant will in time be added too that list of nouns.

And the ad's that amazon are running for the kindles are mostly dominating the media will help imprint the association of the word kindle, with ebook reading.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm in Canada, so Kindles aren't that popular, most people have a Kobo.

However a lot of people did mistake my Kobo for an Ipad. :\
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Actually I have had to use the word Kindle myself, to explain what it is: "It's an ereader." "A what?" "Like a Kindle, but made by Sony." My 5-year-old daughter called it a Kindle when I got it, and I corrected her until she said ereader. Well now she is in first grade and reading on Level E (Fountas and Pinnell scale) and she said to me, "hey mom, I'm an E-reader!" ha ha.

And once my nephew asked me if it was my phone! I laughed at that one!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
Actually a Metonymy.

And companies fight veryhard to prevent thweir trademarked name from becoming a common usage, as they can lose their trademark status. Like aspirin, which as a Bayer trademarked name.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Jaede
Enthusiast
Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
But must we accept the inevitable? And if we must why can't it be with the Sony brand name such as Billi mentioned? They were the first, and what does it matter that Amazon is rising up faster than the Umbrella Corporation.

I don't mind the Kindle. It's a little tedious with the collection feature even if you use the Calibre plugin, Sony had the right of it by allowing management through the computer, but if the trend continues then before you know it the world will be full of Kindle-wielding zombies.
Jaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #14
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaede View Post
My rant, or question to the masses is this: How often have you been reading on an E-Reader that is not a Kindle, and had some ignorant noob look at it and ask if it was a Kindle?
Withstanding the 'ignorant noob' characterization, I'll agree it happens frequently. I answer in reply, "Kinda like a Kindle. It's a Nook actually. Here, have a look!" and I hand it to them for closer inspection.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Most people only really know the kindle, and it became kind of like Kleenex. People use it as a term for all ebook readers, even if they're not referring to a specific product. I've had people still call it a Kindle even after I've said my reader isn't a Kindle.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote