Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
AEA64
AEA64 began at the beginning.

Device: Considering getting a Pocket eDGe or Kindle 4
Question Does Nook STR have something like "hand tool" for reading PDFs?

Hi everyone.

I'm thinking about getting a Nook STR instead of my Kindle 4 because I read a lot of PDFs and they're horrible on Kindle and web reading with buttons drives me nuts. I know in the web browser, the user can zoom in with a touch, and then move the zoomed area with a move of a finger on the screen (just like in tablet browsers and "hand tool" in adobe reader). Can Nook STR do this with PDFs and JPEGs? I consider tweaking it if needed.

thanks

Last edited by AEA64; 11-09-2011 at 02:03 PM.
AEA64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Hi there!

THe answer is NO
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
AEA64
AEA64 began at the beginning.

Device: Considering getting a Pocket eDGe or Kindle 4
Lightbulb

As I saw there's a lot of programs for reading that can be installed on Nook STR, and none of them can move a zoomed area?

For example this PDF is in 2 columns and not OCRed

And there's no way to read on e-readers except buying the biggest hi-res one and read it in fit-to-width?

Also, how many zoom modes does the Nook have? K4 has "fit-to-width", 150%, 200%, 300% and "actual size". Would be nice if they made 125% or something.
AEA64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Not to sound rude, but a casual search through the B&N forum will pretty much give you the answer that reading PDF's on Nook STR, rooted or not, is not a good experience.

If fact, no e-ink ereader is really great at it, but some readers may be a bit better. Best choice of a reading device for PDF would be a regular tablet: iPad or android, either can read PDFs and have better support than our ereaders.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I think I would have to strongly disagree here. My STR is incredible for reading PDF's. It handles them almost as well as an epub There is no panning around; most all my pdfs offer the choice of 3 to 6 font sizes that utilize reflow (no missing page areas when enlarging the font).. There isn't font style choice, but a really workable size choice. Unlike Kindle or some others my STR handles pdfs really well. I just wish I could get Dropbox to work with..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Sony also reflows text on PDF. Kobo touch zooms in then you move viewing area with finger to area your reading. It works ok for some PDF books with touch screen interface and its fast processor.

Larger screen is better for PDF and color is needed some books and documents so color LCD screen tablet with at least 10 inch screen is best. IF tablet has video out to let you few PDF on larger screen could be great. Zoom and moving enlarged area is faster on better LCD tablets.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I dont' know anything about Sonys , but ref the Kobo---- zooming and panning is a painful experience on anthing other than a one or two page document. I was answering the post that reading PDFs on the STR was not a good experience. My experiences with reading on the STR were really GREAT,. No zooming, panning or reading different areas of the page required. As I said, it handled pdfs as if they were epubs.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote