Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
Hepcat
Minister of Silly Walks
Hepcat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Weird Power Problem

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I did a quick search and didn't see a similar thread.

Anyway, I have had my reader now for about a month, but haven't actually used it much as I was finishing up a paper book.

So, it has primarily sat mostly unused for the last few weeks. I had assumed that the Reader could sit in this state almost indefinitely without running out of battery as I had heard that the thing that draws power are the actual page turns and not the e-ink displaying.

So, I took it out with me to the coffee shop thinking I'd start reading one of my ebooks. After starting it up, though, it would die on me without fully rendering the main Menu.

When I got home, I plugged it in and it now seems to work okay. The batter meter shows full after charging for about an hour. Is this a known problem or is this By Design? Am I supposed to ensure that I keep the batter charged even if I'm not using the device regularly?

Thanks,
Hep.
Hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
Detour
Lurker
Detour has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS 500/505 (blue) / iPhone / Kindle (gave away)
I don't think this is normal because it has never happened with my Reader. I purchased two Readers as Mothers Day gifts and one of them had this problem. The one I gave my Mother-in-law works fine but the one I gave my daughter-in-law does exactly what you describe.

I'm working with Sony to get it exchanged for her. So far we haven't gotten it back but Sony didn't give us any problems, just said "ship it back and we'll send you a new one".

Maybe you can do the same?
Detour is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Unfortunately, it's a known ... trait of the Reader -- it still draws some current even when it's "off" such that the battery effectively discharges after 3~4 weeks, whether it's used or not. You can find details (including something of the why's) in this obnoxiously long thread, if you like.

The nutshell answer is that you ought to plan to charge it about every 3~4 weeks.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Actually, it sounds like you're running into the same "issue" that most of us have discovered upon spending some time with it. The reader isn't ever actually off, even when you've flipped the switch and the screen's gone blank. It's still running the OS all the time. What this means is that after about 3-4 weeks, the battery will be depleted. I'm guessing you just needed a charge after it sitting for so long.

It's true that it doesn't require any power to maintain the image that's on the screen, but it's still sucking juice with the background OS: running the clock, for one, and probably just maintaining it so that the power on doesn't take several seconds.

Many of us have complained that it'd be much nicer if it really could last several months on the shelf, but just as many have correctly remarked that the battery life of this device is orders of magnitude greater than any of our other personal electronics.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Curse you Natch! You just beat me!
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2007, 12:52 AM   #6
Hepcat
Minister of Silly Walks

Defect or By Design?

Well, thanks for the responses so far. Unfortunately, I've gotten both the "it's a defect" and "it's By Design" responses! :-)

I think what I will do is actually read an ebook next and see if normal usage results in this issue. If I have this problem recur when it clearly should not, then I'll assume it's a defect. If the battery drains in a "normal" or expected fashion, then I'll assume it's the typical 3-4 week shelf sit that did this.

Thanks!
Jim
Old 07-06-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
Well, thanks for the responses so far. Unfortunately, I've gotten both the "it's a defect" and "it's By Design" responses! :-)

I think what I will do is actually read an ebook next and see if normal usage results in this issue. If I have this problem recur when it clearly should not, then I'll assume it's a defect. If the battery drains in a "normal" or expected fashion, then I'll assume it's the typical 3-4 week shelf sit that did this.

Thanks!
Jim
Hi Jim,

This is by design. If the Reader is a month old, and has never been recharged, the battery will be flat, regardless of whether or not you use it. There's a constant power drain due to the operating system running. We all find that we need to recharge our Readers about once every 3 weeks.

I'm 99% certain that you don't have a faulty Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:45 AM   #8
Bierius
Enthusiast
Bierius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 / Sony PRS-505&500 / ipod touch 2nd gen
Quote:

When I got home, I plugged it in and it now seems to work okay. The batter meter shows full after charging for about an hour. Is this a known problem or is this By Design? Am I supposed to ensure that I keep the batter charged even if I'm not using the device regularly?

Hep.
Just thought I’d mention that the unit will not be fully charged until the little red light above the power switch goes off. This will take 4-6 hours (from a fully discharged battery) depending on your chosen power source.

The last part of your post seemed to indicate that you thought the unit fully charged after just one hour (the charge indicator on the unit is confusing), in which case you would not experience anywhere near the advertised operational use period between charges.

Good luck!
Bierius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:04 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierius View Post
Just thought I’d mention that the unit will not be fully charged until the little red light above the power switch goes off. This will take 4-6 hours (from a fully discharged battery) depending on your chosen power source.
Good point. I generally recharge when the battery meter gets down to 2 bars (which takes about 10 days or so for me) and find that from that state, it does fully charge from the wall charger in under an hour (ie the red light goes out). Charging via USB takes much longer - at least 4h or so.

One final point it's perhaps worth noting is that, if you let the battery get too low, you can't recharge it via USB, but have to use the wall charger.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Unfortunately, I've gotten both the "it's a defect" and "it's By Design" responses! :-)
Hey, Jim, if you'll have a look that thread I referenced, you'll see the whole discussion of the phenomenon. You may have a clearer picture of what's going on from that, and you'll at least understand why so many of us have reached the conclusion we have.

@Nogg: Sorry 'bout that, buddy -- and yours was a really well phrased answer too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you charged it, did you make sure the red light on the left side was actually out? If it's not out, then it has not yet gotten a full charge.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
Hepcat
Minister of Silly Walks

Thanks, all, for the red light tip. Just in case, I plugged it in overnight, so it should be good to go.

NatCH, I'll go ahead and check out the long thread. Sounds interesting, and I like to know that kind of stuff anyway.

J.