Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Frothy
Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Is There a Workaround for a Deregistered Kindle 3

Hi,
I had a problem with my K3 (faded/corrupted book illustrations & screensavers). Amazon kindly replaced it like-for-like which was really good of them.

My old kindle is still useable so I want to carry on using it until it totally expires. But Amazon have deregistered it which isn't such a problem, because using Calibre I can strip the DRM from the books I've bought and still read them.

But I can't create collections anymore which is annoying. Is there a hack to enable me to do this?

PS
I'm not sure if I've posted this in the correct forum?
Frothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Frothy
Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I think this has been asked before and I don't want to bore you guys. If it has just ignore the question.

I'm old and silly
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Have a poke around looking for the instructions to get Calibre to manage your Kindle collections. This works when sideloading onto a deregistered KK
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I had a bricked K3 before I reset it, but Amazon sent me another one. But I did not return my other one, and then I got charged for it in a month's time. U should be able to register it, they simply register it as a second kindle.

So u may not need to strip the DRM off, but have done it to a couple of comics as the hacked PDF application is better for comics.

Back to the topic at hand:

With Calibre u can download meta-data for books, which can include tags or can add the tags yourself, and these can be used by Calibre to create book collections.

I did it a long time ago....but I am sure it would be easier now with tha new updates Calibre has so frequently!
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Frothy

Thumbs up

EXCELLENT thankyou both, I didn't realise you could do that, I'm glad I never deleted the question now I will give it a go when I'm on the computer this afternoon.

Regarding amazon wanting me to return my defective kindle. I expected them to say that but I was surprised when they said I didn't have to.

Cut & Pasted from email:

Hello,

I'm sorry you are having issues with your Kindle. I'm sending you a replacement Kindle via premium-uk to get it to you as soon as possible.

Here's your replacement order information:

Order Number: 203-1014933-91*****
Estimated Delivery Date: Friday, 28 December 2012

You do not need to return your defective device. Please dispose of it appropriately.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy View Post
You do not need to return your defective device. Please dispose of it appropriately.
They do value customer loyalty - they are the best in this regard. They are being kind to u.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Frothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12345 View Post
They do value customer loyalty - they are the best in this regard. They are being kind to u.
They are a good company.

Having no transport I do nearly all my shopping with Amazon, they're my one stop shop and very competetive on price. Funnily enough I've just ordered some non-kindle related items this morning. I also like their website and the comprehensive 'My Account' and 'Kindle Library'.