Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
netrobot
Edge User

Wallpapers? How large, where do they go, etc.

Ok, obviously all my REAL problems are solved if I'm horsing around with this but...

I see on the home screen that there appears to be FIVE panels I can put apps on. I've organized my panels around types of apps with the least used "types" at the ends.

Now I see that one wallpaper is applied to all five panels, and it seems to slide slightly as the panels are selected. This leads me to believe if I loaded a PANORAMIC wallpaper, I could possibly get each panel to look like it has a different wallpaper, or just a different part of a single panoramic wallpaper.

I need to know WHERE "wallpapers" go. And it would be REALLY helpful to know the full five-panel resolution. I assume it's 480 pixels high, and logically it's five times 800 or 4000 wide, but I'm not sure.

I have tried loading my own images in as a wallpaper with no luck. Can I use .JPG or do they need to be a different format? If I knew where the PE was FINDING the wallpapers it offers, it would help, but not knowing the file names makes them tough to locate.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Go to your Gallery and long press the picture you want; you will be offered a popup menu - one of the choices will be set as. Tap that and choose from there.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
netrobot
Edge User

Thanks.

How do I get a picture INTO my gallery? Which folder is that?
I had a couple in there -- no idea how they got there. I selected one and saw a box I could slide around to pick what PART of the picture would become the wallpaper. I did that, but that essentially means there is no way to make a panoramic picture the wallpaper and have each of the five Home screen "panes" show a different piece of it (unless I can hack around the UI, and the use of Gallery for wallpaper picking).
The wallpaper also seems to use just the top HALF of the image I designated with the "picker box" in Gallery.

My idea was to create a wallpaper image from five different images, in one file. With watermarked labels for REFERENCE MEDIA MAIN UTILS and GAMES, so that the page I was currently on would be intuitive from the background and confirmed by the watermark. Maybe I'm reaching too far, but it seems like a rational thing to do. Having the wallpaper shift slightly with each pane makes it SEEM possible, I just don't see a way to do it.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Any pictures on your edge will end up in the gallery. There is an app called Multipicture http://www.tamanegi.org/prog/android-apps/mplwp.html That may or may not work.
Plus you can grab the corners of that box to enlarge the area of the picture you choose.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:05 AM   #5
netrobot
Edge User

... grab the corners! Hadn't thought to try that. I'll try the app too. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
sjarrel
Edge User

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Any pictures on your edge will end up in the gallery.....
Sadly enough: with Ermine beta, that's not the case anymore on my eDGe. Music and Gallery aren't automatically updated with audio and picturefiles. When I add a file to a folder then the eDGe recognizes all the files in that folder in the gallery. But a few days later the gallery doesn't see them anymore. Same goes for Music. Time for an Ermine-update, don't you think?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
netrobot
Edge User

One artifact of Froyo, being phone-centric is that the wallpaper is sized for "portrait" use. When you switch to landscape mode, you only see part of the image. The landscape wallpaper is a rectangle from the top half of the portrait image. At least the wallpaper is rotated along with the desktop, but it would be best to re-size it as well. I'll probably settle for something like clouds, since any other subject won't survive the crop.