Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Kindle DX and K3 Tricks: feedback requested on guide and free ebook

Hi Everyone!

I would like to share and request feedback on a looong web page and (free) ebook about the best tricks for kindle dx and k3.

As a hobby, whenever I learn something significant, I make a web pages. I have pages about topics as random as useful knots, the Southern accent, buckwheat, movies that make me laugh, nonviolent communication and many more.

My companion and I have had a love affair with our two Kindle DXs. I've learned heaps from troubleshooting, playing with various software, experimenting, and of course picking up information from the vast source of Kindle intelligence on Mobile Read and Kindle Boards!

So here's my third version of a collection of tips and tricks for Kindle, particularly aiming at the DX and K3. Every guide has an audience, and this one aims to help "normal users" who are willing to go a little beyond their comfort zone with the device, but not so much "super users" who are excited to try every hack. Although there is a full "start-up guide" tutorial about mobipocket.

This is my way of giving back to the community, and I'd like to make the information as accurate and useful as possible, so I will really appreciate all suggestions that anyone may send. Oh, and I don't own a K3, so if there are K3-specific things that should be mentioned, I'd appreciate the "heads up".

It's clear to me that a guide/collection like this is only possible thanks to all the people who have shared bits of information here and around the web... So gratitude and kudos are offered to all.

Working on other volunteer projects this week but will definitely incorporate feedback and update as soon as I have free time.

Smiles and warmest wishes all around,

Andy

Last edited by playful; 10-07-2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: more specific title
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
cool, good to hear
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Thanks for sharing.
I also found you have a say about "my" GPSr (60CSX). Also a good read

Karma for you

Last edited by Bikeridr; 10-07-2010 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Added Karma
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Hi Bikeridr,

Thanks for your message. You also have the 60CSX, how fun! What else do we have in common, a Swiss army knife and a pantry overflowing with dark chocolate and tuna cans?... LOL... I can tell you I don't have a map of Norway on my GPS, but some day maybe...

Yes, that GPS page was a labor of love a couple years ago... It also has improved thanks to many people's comments... Should really put that in ebook form to make everyone's life easier.

Wishing you a fun day at the top of the other hemisphere,

Andy
Old 10-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by playful View Post
What else do we have in common, a Swiss army knife and a pantry overflowing with dark chocolate and tuna cans?
Seems that we have more in common here
Dark chocolate; 85% and 99% and the one with chili are my favourites.
I have the Geocaching Swiss Army Knife.
The tuna cans are in my wife's area.

PS!
For maps of Norway, the Openstreet Map is a good place to start (unless you want to pay US$3000,- for the lot).
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #6
playful
Mammal

@BikeRidr: Lindt 85%... Yes! GSAK... Yes...

And thanks for the map.

Quote:
For maps of Norway, the Openstreet Map is a good place to start (unless you want to pay US$3000,- for the lot).
No, I really want to pay $3,000, but only if for that price I can also get my nose broken...

Have a good one,

Andy
Old 10-07-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
playful
Thanks. quite enjoyable.

The only thing that is worth mentioning is the alternative duokan's firmware.
Still in the beta and has a Chinese interface only but has a great potential.
Allows you to read epubs, mobis, pdfs, chms, djvus, and docs without any conversion.
From what I heard the English translation is in the works.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
playful
Mammal

Thanks, eLINK!
Wow, cool. I had never heard about duokan, will read up on it. Adding this to the list of revisions for the next version.

*** DX and K3 tricks change log: planned additions for v.0.9.4
- cropping: suggest freeware programs (thanks TS)
- cropping: paper size is smaller than screen size because of status bar (thanks TS)
- justification and margin hack (thanks DevX)
- mention savory document processor (thanks Little Professor)
- more about the debug menu (thanks Little Professor)
- max number of devices on one Amazon account: 6 (thanks wikipedia)
- discuss possibility of using screenshots to make a backup
- mention alternative duokan's firmware (thanks eLINK on MR)